Tailgater Questions with Dish etc

olbaidhh

Original poster
Dec 5, 2012
United States
Ok so I have an OLD probably 12 year old dish network receiver I have laying around. I want to get a tailgater and set them up. I plan to only use this 3 months or probably less out of the year for my fish house. Can I just buy the tailgater, hook it up to my old receiver, call Dish and activate it for 3 months or will I need a new receiver?

I do not care about HD as well.. looking to go as cheap as possible. I even have an old satellite on top of my house I could take down and make a tripod for etc.

Is there something I am missing? Would this work?

if the receiver is that old no. it would have a obsolete smart card, and they are no longer activating older receivers.

a model number may help.

like your fishing shanty BTW....kinda reminds me of grumpy old men....would be nice to watch a game or two while ice fishing, drinking, etc....

That is the plan... the antenna I have now is ehh only local stations. When I am far north - nothing. Its a ritual we watch Grumpy old men every year in the house on DVD. I even have a Green Hornet pole.

if you are just going to use it on the shanty I would just use a regular dish.....can be had for nothing or next to nothing anyway.

To be cheap i would just get a free old dish 500 and use that with your 301.

as long as they would activate it, that is exactly what i was thinking....plenty of 500 dishes out there

Dish is still selling refurb 301 to distributors so i don't think it would be an issue. Worst case they will send a new smartcard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts