Tailgater system, am I having a problem or is it simply where I am located?

dkimmel

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2006
I unboxed my new Tailgater yesterday and within minutes after hooking everything up I had a signal. I then called and had the receiver activated. Everything works fine with the exception of the 129° satellite. While I seem to not have any issues with the general HD channels on the 129° satellite, I do have an extremely weak signal on transponder 10, spotbeam 26. I moved the tailgater several places around the yard and the best I could come up with is a signal strength of about 7 on that satellite/transponder. The signal is not enough to identify the satellite and lock on properly. I then decided to take the unit on a little ride to a completely unobstructed viewing area in the middle of a large field. From that location I was able to lock onto the 129° satellite, transponder 10 with a max signal strength of 15 while most other transponders on the same satellite where in the mid 30's. Does this sound right to those of you in the know? Is it simply my location in western PA that would give me such a low reading of signal strength? Is it possible that they will ever release a software update to the 211k receiver/tailgater combo that would allow us on the eastern side of the country to pick up the eastern arc satellites. I would imagine that the small dish setup within the tailgater has the range of motion to allow it to hit those birds? I don't even know if that is a possibility but it sure would be nice.

Yes, I am trying this from just outside my house. My home system gets about a 40+ on the signal strength for the same satellite/transponder.

Are you within the spot beam for the dma you are activated to?

Keep in mind that the dish Inside the tailgater is smaller than the one on your house, thus the reduced signal.

Nothing you can do about it. As long as it locks on the signal, you should be fine since its only intended to be used on a temporary basis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)