Tailgating with 800 and 1000.2 for HDTV - easiest way

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mattk11

Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Omaha
Guys,

I'm new here an have limited satellite experience other than setting up and tearing down my tailgate party several times every year.

We have been using a Dish Network 500 and a JVC 4700 receiver for the last few years at our tailgate.

This year we upgraded to a new 42" LCD and want to run HDTV at our tailgate. We managed to get our hands on an 811 receiver and will most likely buy a 1000.2 dish.

My question is, what is the easiest way to connect everything and get it up and running quickly at our tailgate? Do we need any other equipment, switches, splitters etc? Is it easiest to aim the dish with the two outside LMBs covered? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First of all, if your hoping to get HD with that new receiver, you'll find that what you get is very very limited. That is an old HD receiver, that runs in MPEG-2 format, all of the new HD runs in MPEG-4 format. Your best bet is to buy a ViP211 if its HD that you want.

As for aligning the dish, on the 1000.2 lnb, there are 4 ports, Port 1 will align to 119 with a meter, port 2 to 110, and port 3 to 129, the port 4 is an input for connection another satellite from another dish.

If you are just using the point dish screen, then hook your cable to port one and go to work on the 119 satellite.

Good luck.

The 811 on a new account cannot subscribe to HD channels, you might as well dig out the 4700/4900 and dish 500 that you normally use.

Ajax33, We want to be able to pull ESPN HD and the Fox HD channels, that is all. Will the 811 not be able to do it? We are not trying to record, only to watch those stations at a tailgate. Was hoping to not spend very much.

Boba, this is not a new account, we are adding to one of my buddies Dish accounts. Since it is not a new account, can we use the 811?

With both negative feedback on the 811, I will try to find a ViP 211 but I really don't want to spend very much. Have nothing in the 811 but maybe could go $100 or so, is that feasible?

Thanks

Mattk11,

If your buddies Dish account already includes HD, I believe you can add the 811 to the programming and receive the MPEG-2 programming plus the OTA. ESPNHD is still coming in, and Fox HD would have to be OTA. If the game were on FSNHD, you'll need a 211.

An 811 is an OK receiver. It's OTA tuner is a notch below the tuner in 211. But if you're in a good location, it is OK.

Miner

His account is HDTV. If we will be severely limited by using the 811, we are willing to look into the 211.

Another question, there are several instances of 211 receivers listed on ebay. Can I buy one of these and activate it on my buddies account or do I risk something beyond a DOA unit from ebay. We really need to keep the cost of the receiver under $100 if possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)