Taking one of my boxes to my weekend house?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amendolaro

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
florida
okay, so im ordering DTV soon, and theres no point in paying 2 bills, for a house that ill be at 1 to 3 times a month, so i was going to have them install 1 extra box in the house, and just take a satellite and box to my weekend home, ( couple hours away ) and mount it myself. Question is, can i do this? or am i screwed and have to pay double? ( im sure DTv dosnt want me to do this, but im n ot stealing ) if so, does it have to be the SAME dish they install? ( im doing HD, if so, what dish do i need to buy ). thanks a lot guys.

If it is a vacation type house then it is possible but Directv does not like it. You would need to install your own dish at that location. Many people do this with vacation homes.

If it is a vacation type house then it is possible but Directv does not like it. You would need to install your own dish at that location. Many people do this with vacation homes.

lol i figured, i asked dtv and they said " it wont work " lol. it will b HD there too, so ill just drop a box there, but what dish should i buy? premier package btw. love dexter :)

The only issue you may have is picking up your local stations at the vacation home. If it is to far away you will not be within the foot print of the local channels.

Here are two dishes that would work. Don't need the SWM model since you will only have one receiver there.

DIRECTV AU9-SL3 Three LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna and SL-3 LNB Combo (AU9-SL3) from Solid Signal

DIRECTV Five LNB Ka/Ku Slim Line Dish Antenna for MPEG-4 C HD Programming SL5 (AU9-S) from Solid Signal

thanks so much! what would i need in the future if i add another TV? is it easier to just "plan ahead" and get a dish for multiple TVs so its already done?

also, once activated at my home by tech, and i bring to vacation home, will i need to call DTV to have the re-activate? or will it just work as long as aiming is correct?

You should never call them about your vacation home. Once a receiver is activated it is good until you cancel, unless you leave the receiver off for an extended period of time.

haha okay cool. what dish would be used for more than 1 TV ( hd ) also, is it like the Dish pro ? ( i setup myself when i moved last time ) with it having its own switch? or do i have to use a switch

You can easily do this. You will have to buy another dish (SL3 SWM) and install it either yourself or hire an installer to come out. D* won't give this to you for free. Have all the wiring in place, and when you visit just bring your receiver, plug it in, and power it up. Just be sure not to plug in a phone line. If you are out the spot beam reach for your home local channels, you will not receive them. You can either set up an ant and get a D* off-air tuner or you could actually access your account online and change your zip code, but it would knock out your locals at home.

JAG72 said:
You should never call them about your vacation home. Once a receiver is activated it is good until you cancel, unless you leave the receiver off for an extended period of time.

Even then it will give you a message and you can re activate it quickly online.

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

The switch is built into the dish so you don't have to worry about one. The dishes that I gave you all support 4 receivers without a switch. You do need to run a line from the dish to each of the receivers with these. If you go with a SWM dish then you could run a single cable from the dish into the house to support 8 receivers but then you also have to worry about purchasing a power inserter (from my understanding). I personally don't have a SWM dish as it does not support enough tunners (only 8). They installed a SWM 16 switch for me to support 16 tunners. My SWM switch is installed on one of the dishes that I have given you links to. I wouldn't worry about this as I wouldn't think you would need that many tunners at a vacation home.

or you could actually access your account online and change your zip code, but it would knock out your locals at home.

I do not think this will have any impact on what locals you receive as the only address you can change yourself in your online account is your billing address, not your service address.

I do not think this will have any impact on what locals you receive as the only address you can change yourself in your online account is your billing address, not your service address.

My service address is on my account page on D*'s website. I haven't tried to change it, so you may be right. You may need to call in to change it.

My service address is on my account page on D*'s website. I haven't tried to change it, so you may be right. You may need to call in to change it.

Yes, it lists your service address in the upper right, in the middle left it lists your billing address. You can change that one online.
To change the service address you have to call.
I wish they would let you do both, but understand why they dont.

I wouldn't worry about changing your address, unless your going to be there an extended amount of time.

I would get the same dish your using at home, the ones Jag posted will work.

okay, so im ordering DTV soon, and theres no point in paying 2 bills, for a house that ill be at 1 to 3 times a month, so i was going to have them install 1 extra box in the house, and just take a satellite and box to my weekend home, ( couple hours away ) and mount it myself. Question is, can i do this? or am i screwed and have to pay double? ( im sure DTv dosnt want me to do this, but im n ot stealing ) if so, does it have to be the SAME dish they install? ( im doing HD, if so, what dish do i need to buy ). thanks a lot guys.

It's going to be pretty tricky installing a "satellite" at your vacation home.

You can easily do this. You will have to buy another dish (SL3 SWM) and install it either yourself or hire an installer to come out. D* won't give this to you for free. Have all the wiring in place, and when you visit just bring your receiver, plug it in, and power it up. Just be sure not to plug in a phone line. If you are out the spot beam reach for your home local channels, you will not receive them. You can either set up an ant and get a D* off-air tuner or you could actually access your account online and change your zip code, but it would knock out your locals at home.

Being only a couple house from one home to another (not sure why a weekender and vacation home would be so close to the other) BUT being so close together he would likely just keep the same locals. No need to "move" each time and raise any account suspicions. The spot beam coverage should be more than adequate.

It's going to be pretty tricky installing a "satellite" at your vacation home.

Installing the dish, assuming there are no trees or other LoS issues, is a simple as 1,2,3,4,5 with basic just tools, maybe a ladder and a $12 heading compass; and about 30 - 45mins. It will be even faster if he has a friend that can help.

30-45 minutes sounds like the quickie installer job. Expect it to take at least a few hours if you want to do it right and conceal the cables as best as you can.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Intoducing the new AM21N off-air tuner (from the "other" fourm)

zip 33415 not auth channel 389 to 399. premier package??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)