TBS card

I reinstalled the card and used the bios "trick." The driver loads, works, and I can scan for channels. The only problem is my bud is "stuck" on 127. Well, not really stuck. I have a bird nest in the frame work with three baby birds with their mouths open waiting for more bugs from Mama. In about 10-12 days the nest should be empty and I can move it and do more scanning.
The only problem with the bios/uefi it states that is NOT a good way to leave it. Turn it back on and the driver dies again.
I have this info sent to TBSdtv and they are looking into the problem. Maybe we will get this thing to work correctly after all, maybe....

Glad you got it working!

Reactions: raydio
I'm glad it works too. Looks like MS charges to sign a driver for OEM's, and not cheap.
Secure boot enabled will disable letting you load an OS like Linux from CD/USB/Memory card.
Disabling it could possibly let malware in that sneaks by virus detection on boot.
I left my secure boot off for a long time because I forgot to switch it back on after reinstalling Win 10.
Never discovered I did until checking it before booting a Linux distro to use my SDR radio.
No biggie. May be if your virus protection slips up. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though.
Hopefully TBS steps up to the plate. Tell us how you like your card please.

"UEFI Secure Boot means that the firmware will only load operating system images that are cryptographically signed, and the only "platform key" that is installed by default is Microsoft's (this is a requirement for any OEM machine sold with Windows pre-installed). You will thus need to disable it to boot another OS. "

Reactions: LocutusOfBorg
I reinstalled the card and used the bios "trick." The driver loads, works, and I can scan for channels. The only problem is my bud is "stuck" on 127. Well, not really stuck. I have a bird nest in the frame work with three baby birds with their mouths open waiting for more bugs from Mama. In about 10-12 days the nest should be empty and I can move it and do more scanning.
The only problem with the bios/uefi it states that is NOT a good way to leave it. Turn it back on and the driver dies again.
I have this info sent to TBSdtv and they are looking into the problem. Maybe we will get this thing to work correctly after all, maybe....

Legacy BIOS is less secure and that's why they're trying to get everyone to use UEFI BIOS (the terms I'm using isn't exact but I think you get the point). There's a way to register apps with uefi but it's more hassle than it's worth. I'm sticking with legacy BIOS until they come up with something less complicated.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
A robin built a nest in the back of my Paraclipse a number of years ago,didn't seem to mind going for a little "ride" every so often.:biggrin
With the BUD at 127 if I moved it to maybe 97 or so the nest would dump the babies. Then I would have to look for bugs for the little birdies. I will leave the dish where it is and that job to Mama bird.

The answer to this problem from TBS was interesting. They stated just leave that change in the bios. They will keep checking as to a fix for the problem.

Legacy BIOS is less secure and that's why they're trying to get everyone to use UEFI BIOS (the terms I'm using isn't exact but I think you get the point). There's a way to register apps with uefi but it's more hassle than it's worth. I'm sticking with legacy BIOS until they come up with something less complicated.
Remember too that with Win 7 just swapping hardware like cloning a new hard drive, new video card, etc. would kill the activation.
In UEFI that's taken care of because your actual computer is hard coded and you don't have to enter a 16 digit key to install Win 10.
At least that's what I understand. I recently did a wipe and reinstall of Win 10 and it was seamless.

Remember too that with Win 7 just swapping hardware like cloning a new hard drive, new video card, etc. would kill the activation.
In UEFI that's taken care of because your actual computer is hard coded and you don't have to enter a 16 digit key to install Win 10.
At least that's what I understand. I recently did a wipe and reinstall of Win 10 and it was seamless.

In Win10, activation is also tied to your Microsoft account.

In Win10, activation is also tied to your Microsoft account.
I disabled my wifi and NIC in UEFI on my laptop. A little trik I found out that bypasses the MS acct. prompt on installation.
Earlier versions of 10 allowed you to create a local account. Later versions, not so much.
When I went back in and enabled the adapters and established a wifi connection, activation was automatic w/o having to create or log into my MS acct. Slick, huh!

Another advantage is your profile folder is no longer named the first few letters of the MS acct but whatever you choose.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

My Asus laptop is like that but my desktop computers aren't even though they have the uefi bios - Win10 wasn't pre-installed because I "built" these PC's. One of my laptops is pre-uefi. And, yeah, that sucks when you change hardware and you lose the Win10 activation. Usually that's not a big issue except for the hassle of having to call M$ and having to enter that ridiculously long code to get it re-activated. My kids use Win10 because Roblox won't run on Linux. Otherwise I wouldn't have Windows on any of my PC's.

I disabled my wifi and NIC in UEFI on my laptop. A little trik I found out that bypasses the MS acct. prompt on installation.
Earlier versions of 10 allowed you to create a local account. Later versions, not so much.
When I went back in and enabled the adapters and established a wifi connection, activation was automatic w/o having to create or log into my MS acct. Slick, huh!

Another advantage is your profile folder is no longer named the first few letters of the MS acct but whatever you choose.

I have one PC where it uses a PIN to log into it. I'm sure that can be changed but I'm too lazy to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts