TBS HD lacking?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey Brew, on the other thread (Padres/Rockies game on TBSHD Tonight) I am seeing raving reviews for the picture quality. Seems we are having a bit of a disagreement here, I would like to hear what others think. Vurbano, Questioner, Scobuck, Jimbo, Charper, Hemi, any of you guys, or others that I didn't think of off the top of my head, how about a review? Maybe a rating out of 10? I didn't see it.

Sorry, me no watchi de base-a-ball during de week; BUT if I make it home for the weekend, I will try to watch some to form an opinion.

Hey guys I thought the baseball game was an 8 out of 10. And I would not give out a 10 that often unless spectacular with no pixellation. So I am least satisfied TBs will do sports game OK.

But why should the guide post Hd next to seinfeld and Family guy when these shows are obvioulsy just stretched? Whats sad is I had heard the Sienfeld was actaully taped on some sort of HD format so could look really good if broadcast correctly.

Whats sad is I had heard the Sienfeld was actaully taped on some sort of HD format so could look really good if broadcast correctly.
HD syndication: Seinfeld and Jeopardy - Engadget HD

I believe Seinfeld was shot 4x3 on 16mm film. TBS "HD" is the worst "HD" channel I have ever seen and to call their programming "HD" like TNT does with their stretched stuff is just plain crap. At least TNT isn't stretching their logo along with the rest of the picture. The stretched TBS logo makes things look extra-stretched. If they replaced they added the logo post upconversion in proper proportion I would be less turned off by this worthless channel. The PQ on the baseball games was hands down the work I've seen. I'm hoping they rushed into HD to make the post-season and hopefully they get their act together soon.

i thought TRUE HD was 1080p....sumthing which no network does or has the the capability yet to do.
You thought wrong. You have fallen victim to HD DVD and BD marketing hype.

HD is 1280x720p, 1920x1080i or 1920x1080p.

Its all HD

HD syndication: Seinfeld and Jeopardy - Engadget HD

I believe Seinfeld was shot 4x3 on 16mm film. TBS "HD" is the worst "HD" channel I have ever seen and to call their programming "HD" like TNT does with their stretched stuff is just plain crap. At least TNT isn't stretching their logo along with the rest of the picture. The stretched TBS logo makes things look extra-stretched. If they replaced they added the logo post upconversion in proper proportion I would be less turned off by this worthless channel. The PQ on the baseball games was hands down the work I've seen. I'm hoping they rushed into HD to make the post-season and hopefully they get their act together soon.

I'm actually a little surprised by this post. While I agree with you that most of the programming on TBS is horrible and calling it HD in the guide is disgraceful, the baseball games have looked pretty good (although the Rockies/Padres game the other night was not great) IMO. Better than ESPN or Fox OTA, I think.

I also don't know why people keep throwing TNT in with TBS. I agree the PQ is not that great, but that has more to do with the MPEG2 feed it's coming in on. The content (at least most of it) is not stretched from what I can tell. TBS is far worse on that count.

Phils/Rocks game, 4 out of 10.
Got better later with the Red Sox/Angels 5 out of 10
I was not that impressed with the picture at all.
That said, it is still a hell of a lot better than watching it in SD.

Phils/Rocks game, 4 out of 10.
Got better later with the Red Sox/Angels 5 out of 10
I was not that impressed with the picture at all.
That said, it is still a hell of a lot better than watching it in SD.

Very surprised you would give it this low marks. I would have given the Sox-Angels a 1 considering that the Sox won. Actually, I didn't see that, but from the two games I have seen, I would give the tie-breaker game on Monday an 8 and last night's Cubs-Diamondbacks a 7-8.

But overall, TBS does a horrible job with stretching its other shows.

Very surprised you would give it this low marks. I would have given the Sox-Angels a 1 considering that the Sox won. Actually, I didn't see that, but from the two games I have seen, I would give the tie-breaker game on Monday an 8 and last night's Cubs-Diamondbacks a 7-8.

But overall, TBS does a horrible job with stretching its other shows.

What I have seen of the ball games on YES, I have to compare all the ones I see now to that. The YES games feel like they are almst 3D. Didn't feel that way with the TBS games. Agree though that the later games looked better.

What I have seen of the ball games on YES, I have to compare all the ones I see now to that. The YES games feel like they are almst 3D. Didn't feel that way with the TBS games. Agree though that the later games looked better.

Just out of curiosity, if you live in Columbus and YES just went national this week, how did you see any games on YES in HD?

You thought wrong. You have fallen victim to HD DVD and BD marketing hype.

HD is 1280x720p, 1920x1080i or 1920x1080p.

Its all HD

But 1080i = 540 rows of pixels.
While 1080p = 1,080 rows of pixels.

Ergo, this results in a smoother looking image with less motion artifacts and jagged edges.

RE the Red Sox/Angels game one, the picture and sound of the TBS feed on 95 (or 94, I forget) was way better than it was on 247. I watched most of the game on 247 and only flipped over to the HD channel in the 90s near the end...like night and day for me. MUCH crisper picture and alot better sound using only the TV's (Pioneer PDP-6070) speakers.

But 1080i = 540 rows of pixels.
While 1080p = 1,080 rows of pixels.

Ergo, this results in a smoother looking image with less motion artifacts and jagged edges.

We all know that. All of the formats that vurbano posted are considered HD. If you want to consider 1080p "True HD" then so be it. I feel the sameway as vurbano, it is just marketing hype and seems people are lapping it up.

Until a broadcaster sends a signal in 1080p, it is still just relegated to HD-DVD and Bluray.

And, to keep on topic, I watched some of the RedSox game last night and thought the picture was very good.

Just out of curiosity, if you live in Columbus and YES just went national this week, how did you see any games on YES in HD?

With MLB EI You get the games on 94 and 95, a bunch of Yankee games this year, and they were the best HD I have ever seen for baseball.

Of course - silly me... but wouldn't those have been in MPEG2?
mpeg2? mpeg4? all I know is what my eyes saw....and they saw a much clearer picture on 94/95 than on the new TBS-HD channel in the 200s....during gm 1 of the Red Sox series and again last night during the Indians/Yankees game.

Of course - silly me... but wouldn't those have been in MPEG2?

Yes they were. I don't know if it is their equipment or what. Let me take back what I said before, it wasn't just the best HD baseball I have seen. It was the best live HD I have ever seen. Each and every game, like looking through a window on my 106" screen. Maybe they got more bandwith than the other...I don't know.

Last edited:
mpeg2? mpeg4? all I know is what my eyes saw....and they saw a much clearer picture on 94/95 than on the new TBS-HD channel in the 200s....during gm 1 of the Red Sox series and again last night during the Indians/Yankees game.

I totally agree with you, the HD picture on channel95 was WAAY better than TBS as was the audio. If others think different, well that's their problem but I for 1 am in total agreement with ya buddy. :hatsoff:

Robin

As I type, right now, Yanks/Cleveland, here right in front of me.....................................................................................................

247 looks much better than 95. This may go down as one of those, things we never understand.

As I type, right now, Yanks/Cleveland, here right in front of me.....................................................................................................

247 looks much better than 95. This may go down as one of those, things we never understand.

You're right, I do not understand,,,, what you are looking at. It's a night/day improvement on channel 95 IMHO, but both pictures are better than the digital picture on my C-band 4DTV receiver and that's the reason why I switched to D* after 22 years with my 12' Paraclipse dish. I've never been happier with the flood of HD channels thru my HR20.

Robin

Hey I'm getting a more than desired amount of screen dropout on the ALDS game... anyone else?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)