TCL S435 Roku TV and dish remote 54.0 need some assistance

gmitchell

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Southeast Ohio
Hello all,
I have a TCL 55 inch S435 Roku TV that works well with a hopper with sling receiver and I could use the dish 54.0 remote to turn on TV and select the Dish receiver with out using the Roku remote. Recently I had to replace the hopper receiver and when the tech changed it out I cannot get the 54.0 remote to do what is stated above. I have tried all the codes with the TCL TV to match up with the Dish remote but I cannot reproduce what I had with the old receiver. I can turn on the TV and the receiver but I have no control over the TV after that. I have to use the Roku remote to get the TV to move over to the Dish box. Once I have done that the Dish remote works as designed. If anyone knows how to incorporate the two remote so I only have to use the Dish remote, that would be great. Sorry for the long post but I waned to make it clear what the problem is......Clear as mud...right. Thanks in advance.

Typically, TCL is pretty simple. You can try the Roku settings. Although there aren't many of them or try to "teach" the remote but that's a crap shoot that typically takes several attempts before everything works.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I know this thread is pretty old but I have this same tv and remote. It’s paired with my wireless Joey and turns the v on and off and controls the vol with No problems.

I have been using a universal remote for quite awhile but it finally died. Now I’m trying to set the 54 up to control the tv and the Joey but whenever I click on tv the cursor is just dead. Will not move anywhere using the 54. Would be nice to not get another inversely and use only the 54 but I cannot get it to work! What am I missing? Thanks

Well I received the answer I didn’t want to hear today from my installer. He said all the 54 will do is what I already knew. Just because it can turn the tv on and adjust the volume, sure doesn’t make it a universal remote in my opinion. Looks like a new Harmony is on my agenda.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Well I received the answer I didn’t want to hear today from my installer. He said all the 54 will do is what I already knew.
Trust experts here beyond what your installer told you. (That is not to say he wasn't right. :() My installer tried to tell me the EHD from my 612 would work on a Joey.

Well I received the answer I didn’t want to hear today from my installer. He said all the 54 will do is what I already knew. Just because it can turn the tv on and adjust the volume, sure doesn’t make it a universal remote in my opinion. Looks like a new Harmony is on my agenda.
What do you want the 54 remote to do besides turn off and on the TV and adjust the volume/mute?

Mine also will control a DVD player but that is about all I can expect it to do.

If you want it to change inputs and play your streaming apps on the TV, pull out the TV remote, or as you implied, buy and expensive universal remote to use instead of the free one Dish gave you.

Dish has made their remotes to control their equipment and to turn your TV on and off, adjust the volume either directly on the TV or on a surround system or a sound bar and operating a DVD player.

Any more than that is asking them to do more than should be expected.

Last edited:
Dish has made their remotes to control their equipment and to turn your TV on and off, adjust the volume either directly on the TV or on a surround system or a sound bar and operating a DVD player.
I suffered the failure of a Vizio remote and had to figure out how to change inputs on the TV using a 54. The 54 remote does indeed have an input button on the side. To get that to activate the input menu on the TV, you have to press the TV button (also on the side) first. IIRC the input button steps through the inputs with more button presses, but that may be different on different TVs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts