TCM HD coming July 19th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
That's good news. I prefer TCM to BBC America because TCM shows movies without commercial interruptions. BBC America has tons of commercials and repeats too often.

To me, it's two different type channels.

TCM - Movies

BBCAHD - Great original programming

Each is a good add.

I know this isn't a very reliable source, but comedian Jim Norton is claiming Epix is coming this month. He has been plugging his special that premiered Sat., and swears the Epix people told him they would be on Directv in July.

A welcomed addition, hopefully BBCAHD is next. I'm not even sure if TCM is part of my package since I don't watch movies in SD often

Sent from my iPhone

Hey,more HD is always good...... :)

Well you're in for a disappointment. TCM "HD" has not shown one single second of HD content since the channel came on the air three years ago. Nothing but upconverts.

Last edited:
That should make some folks happy! :)

It does with me.

Turner Classic Movies HD needed to get added by DirecTV. I'm glad it will happen.

I find myself really enjoying some titles I grew up with on these HD-Only channels. For example, last week I DVRd Used Cars (1980) on HDNet Movies. And with TCM, the image is classic. Looking briefly at the monthly programming guide -- at TCM Monthly Schedule - Turner Classic Movies -- I will DVR Inside Daisy Clover (1965) and The Lion in Winter (1968), which air next week, in HD.

I appreciate that we DirecTV subscribers will finally get TCM HD.

(DirecTV should not shy away from adding more non-premium HD channels. Please keep them coming, DirecTV!)

Lovely. MTVHD all over.

One good thing is that TCM does not stretch their content. Everything is OAR. And even though they're just upconverts, it's a big improvement over the SD channel. I just wanted people to understand that they're not actually getting true HD content.

I pretty much only put HD channels in my favs, because SD just looks bad. So at least it gives me another rainy day channel.

nobody knows for sure how long. Could be Wednesday, could be 2 weeks or could be a month (or never...oh wait thats what Dish does)

I did not know that! And it's interesting.

Between the two minidish satellite companies, I have subscribed only to DirecTV. That has nothing to do with worship of one company and disrespect for the other one. I chose DirecTV back in the late 1990s because it appealed to me more. (I am sorry Dish subsribers have lost those AMC Networks programming: AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel, and We TV. Hope they will not be gone for long.)

One good thing is that TCM does not stretch their content. Everything is OAR. And even though they're just upconverts, it's a big improvement over the SD channel. I just wanted people to understand that they're not actually getting true HD content.

Isn't true HD in 1080p?

If that is the case, one will not find much "true HD" on broadcast and cable TV.

But I do know what you're saying: TCM HD is not on the level of other programmers' "HD."

I'll take it anyway.

(Thank you, DirecTV!)

I watched this channel some when I had Dish. I thought when the channel first launched, they were slowly going to get away from up convert and show remastered hd.

Isn't true HD in 1080p?

If that is the case, one will not find much "true HD" on broadcast and cable TV.

But I do know what you're saying: TCM HD is not on the level of other programmers' "HD."

I'll take it anyway.

(Thank you, DirecTV!)

True HD is anything 720p, or 1080i ...
As Scott mentioned, 1080p came out of nowhere ...

People are confused by Full HD 1080p marketing. That's strictly the ability to accept 1080p and display it fully at a sets native resolution.

Well you're in for a disappointment. TCM "HD" has not shown one single second of HD content since the channel came on the air three years ago. Nothing but upconverts.

Those of us who are loyal TCM fans know all about that and we're happy to take what we can get. The studios, not TCM, are dragging their feet when it comes to making HD masters when only TCM runs them. TCM will never run totally HD that's the way it is when they run they type of programming they do. No complaints from me.

I would not think tomorrow as it is a holiday. You would think that Direct would give most of it's engineers the day off but would be a nice surprise.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts