TCM HD coming July 19th

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It wasn't that long ago that DirecTV used to add new HD in groups. Now it seems like one new HD channel every 9+ months or so. I wish they would go back to the group format. At least 5+ in one shot.

According to Wikipedia there is an SD version.
Epix (TV channel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or is this just saying that the one channel has both SD and HD?

Anyway, BBCA HD needs to be next in line.

WOW! That article is about as clear as mud. I was assuming that the main EPIX channel was HD only because both Dish, and my local cable provider, carry the HD channel, but no SD version of it. Seems strange to not carry the SD channel if it is indeed available.

Dish does have an SD version of Epix (Channel 380). It is definitely a different channel, not just a downcovert. I know this because the HD version is currently showing HD letterboxed version of "Killers" (2.2 : 1 Super 35 or Panavision OAR). The SD version is showing the movie in pan&scan 4x3 (not just zoomed in...real pan & scan.)

Dish does have an SD version of Epix (Channel 380). It is definitely a different channel, not just a downcovert. I know this because the HD version is currently showing HD letterboxed version of "Killers" (2.2 : 1 Super 35 or Panavision OAR). The SD version is showing the movie in pan&scan 4x3 (not just zoomed in...real pan & scan.)

Shows you that you cannot rely on second hand info. You know the old saying about when you assume. HaHa. All "tv guide" sites list Channel 380, on Dish, as EpixHD. I know for a fact that my local cable provider does not have an SD version of Epix. Oh well.

joed32 said:
Where are you? It's on here in California and it should be on everywhere.

I'm in NC it lit up here on the next movie Condemed Women. Kinda strange but glad I got it now!

I've got it as well, I just had to add it to my favorites list. It is weird if you have the SD version of a channel on your list and you have your receiver set to only show the HD versions of channels you have to re-add the HD version when a channel's HD signal is turned on.

Lets hope BBC America is HD channel is next to be turned on.

John

Sorry if I am missing the point, but what is the purpose of adding an HD channel that shows old movies? Are there ever movies shown in HD on here? I have never watched anything on TCM. I am searching the guide for something that could warrant this, but I see nothing - especially when there are "legit" HD channels (H2, IFC, DIY, NGW, BBCA) that have yet to be added.

Sorry if I am missing the point, but what is the purpose of adding an HD channel that shows old movies? Are there ever movies shown in HD on here? I have never watched anything on TCM. I am searching the guide for something that could warrant this, but I see nothing - especially when there are "legit" HD channels (H2, IFC, DIY, NGW, BBCA) that have yet to be added.

Even if the movie is not hd it still looks better. TCM is one of the greatest channels ever as long as it doesn't start showing commercials.

Yep, nothing more to ask.

I flipped over to check if it was live...
The only way to tell is that when you click for info there is an "HD" after TCM. Beyond that, it looks exactly the same...

This has to be the least needed transition to HD yet (although I still might contend that Shorts is a bigger waste of bandwidth being I have not met a DirecTV customer in real life to date that even knows it is a channel.)

You don't like older movies but lots of people do. Upconverted to HD is better than SD. I don't watch Shorts either but TCM is a staple for me. There are a lot of HD channels that I don't even want in my guide and would never tune to but I'm glad the people who do like them can get them. I hope you get all of the channels you want too. TCM was the one I wanted.

TCM wasn't on my list either, but I'm glad we got it anyway. Got the Errol Flynn Robin Hood and Forbidden Planet in timers. Watched both of these many times since they came out. Watched them then too!

Now all I need is my BBCA-HD!! :)

TCM is known for showing some classics but sometimes in the middle of the night you will see some real turkeys. One is Skidoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)