Team Summit 2021

If I remember correctly, DISH was threatened with Lawsuits over the sling technology as broadcasters feared people would be sharing their accounts and non subscribers would be accessing their content. So to avoid those issues DISH agreed to limit it to one stream and built their Sling Encoders to handle only one stream.

If Comcast and Charter can do it without threat of a lawsuit ( and don’t forget services like YTTV and Hulu Live), I wonder why cannot Dish/DirecTV?

My step-father has Xfinity on multiple Rokus in his house, he does not even have a box from them.
BTW the Roku does not support DISH Anywhere. However you can cast from your phone's app to your Roku as a work around.
Again, if Charter/Comcast can develop a app for the Roku ( or other boxes) there is no reason why Dish cannot.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I really like our Firestick. Works good
So did I until they started failing one by one. :crying Fortunately, I had an unused 4K Stick which I was able to set up and replace one of the 2 HD Sticks that failed in the past. But now I can't find any good prices, e.g. a 4K Stick under $40. IIRC I bought the first 4K Stick for $24.

I hear what you guys are saying, my wife don't like switching inputs either.

It would be nice if they had everything built into one box including satellite. But me I would want it to offer all the latest bells and whistles too for best sound and video quality.

Who knows what the future holds.
Subscribe to what you can from Amazon Prime, like Britbox and Acorn, and they will come from the H3. Maybe more will be offered later.

Apps on my HWSes are too slow. Faster to watch via the Sony TV directly, or even use later models of Roku.

Maybe they’re faster on the H3?

Well, let’s see. You wanna teach her, or you wanna be happy?

You can be here remote, as might be your successor. ;)
:devilish

If I remember correctly, DISH was threatened with Lawsuits over the sling technology as broadcasters feared people would be sharing their accounts and non subscribers would be accessing their content. So to avoid those issues DISH agreed to limit it to one stream and built their Sling Encoders to handle only one stream.

BTW the Roku does not support DISH Anywhere. However you can cast from your phone's app to your Roku as a work around.
IIRC, The Sling technology as developed and later purchased by Echostar/Dish was always limited to ONE stream/one user per stream because that is natively LEGAL. The ONE stream per user PER DEVICE at any one time is what made Sling "Bullet Proof" from lawsuits from content providers and owners because that limitation kept the device within Fair Use. Any additional streams or additional users PER DEVICE would be OUTSIDE of the Fair Use of "personal" and "private." So, one could always buy MORE Slingboxes for as many people to use ONE at a time even in the same household. This is also why households with 2 Hopper boxes with Sling built-in may have more than one Sling stream from the same domicile/account because the issue is ONE user PER DEVICE at any one time, just as it always has been with Slingbox before Echostar/Dish bought Sling Media.

More than one stream or multiple streams and multiple users at the same time using the same single device would require accessing "Digital Rights" or payment to the content providers, meaning that the content providers can require payment for any and all additional beyond the ONE PER DEVICE because anything more than ONE PER DEVICE takes it OUT of Fair Use, and a violation of copyrights.

Now, if Dish had plans to provide "multiple" PER DEVICE without paying the copyright holders, then lawsuits would be a coming--unless Dish pays content providers for additional PER DEVICE. The other MVPD's do offer multiple users at the same time, but they have obviously PAID the content providers to give them--the other MVPD's like cable cos.--a competitive edge, or something subscribers want. It is probably expensive to obtain such rights for "multiple" and Ergan does not like anything expensive if he does not see it as necessary. If Dish wants to provide "multiple" experience PER DEVICE through its Sling technology (presuming it can be done with the Sling tech), then all Dish has to do is PAY the content providers to do so, and they WILL gladly take the money because that is all they are about: the money and more ways to make it.

I would also add that Slingbox offeres a feature that allows Slingbox owners to allow anyone we choose to be "Guests" of the owner of the Slingbox, a feature that allows another person to be provided conditional access (fully revocable by the owner of the Slingbox) to another person's Slingbox to stream content with the creation of a seperate account so that the owners username and password are preserved solely for that owner. Nonetheless, this practice amounts to account sharing, and this is LEGAL because the issue is not necessarily WHO is using the Slingbox to stream becasue Slingbox does not require recurring payment for use per account, so we OWN the Slingbox, and we are not required to have a license to use the Slingbox granting us EXCLUSIVE use of the Slingbox, but rather it is only the issue of ONE person streaming on any SINGLE Slingbox (ONE PER DEVICE), at any one time, which is legal and within Fair Use, allowing Aunt Betty 1000 miles away to view anything connected to MY Slingbox in another state anytime she wants to access my Slingbox for her own PRIVATE and PERSONAL use, but only ONE of us can access the Slingbox at any ONE time.

And, of course, any copyright material has entered my home LEGALLY such as making any required payment to access that content, so, yes, anyone else may remotely access my Slingbox at my invitation to watch my legally obtained copyright content for that remote viewer's PERSONAL and PRIVATE use.

And despite the Terms of Use of the streaming services forbidding "archiving" (like a DVR) any of the streams, we, in fact do have the right to "archive" anything we stream (so long as we obtain the material legally such as a paid subscription if required, and it is for our PERSONAL and PRIVATE use) on our own local storage for later viewing. The catch is how to achieve this ability. Well, the internet offers LEGAL options and even legal services to make that possible, especially if the "recordings" takes place AFTER decryption, such as the rendering phase. Saving the stream at that point protects the streaming service (it has fulfilled its obligation as far in the process that it can control), and is also perfectly legal for the individual consumer to "record" and save that streaming content for personal and private use.

Last edited:
I have the Hopper3, TiVo OTA and a Roku Ultra, all routed thru an Onkyo AV reciever. I use the Harmony Remote for everything. My wife can turn on Dish and channel hop, but after that she is lost.
My wife is a Technophobe, but luckily, thanks to Arc controlling the Pre-Pro for the sound, she has picked up using the Roku interface and only has to use one remote, wants Live TV, hit the YTTV app, want to watch a movie, hit the Vudu app, mostly she has Discovery+ on all day for Food Network.

She does not have to switch inputs anymore and has told me from now on when I upgrade the TV, I am only allowed to get a Roku TV, luckily TCL makes higher grade sets then the icky 4-Series, just bought a 85” 7-Series, wanted to check out the new Sony’s but she did not like Android TV ( I have a Shield for the Outdoor Theater, she hated it while trying to use it).

Back to Dish, they really need to figure out how to get their channels streaming, say pay for one Hopper and in the other rooms get them on a Roku, i have TV/Projector in 10 rooms, there is no way I am going to pay a box charge for each one and I do not have to with YTTV ( Charter and Comcast also do this), right now, only 2-4 rooms get heavy use, but I have to be ready when we have guests, we have lots of family that are ready to come down here this winter once the Covid thing is handled, I know I will never have all 10 going at once, but I need the option in each room if someone wants Live TV.

How many customers have they lost because of box fees and how many of you have a Joey in a kids room, for example, that never gets used since they are watching You Tube all the time on their phone or in a guest room they hardly has anyone in it, would not a streaming device be a better option?

I have no problem subscribing to Dish or DirecTV, but both need to be more customer friendly as far as accessing the content and pricing to do so, this has nothing to do with programming costs, only the equipment fees.