Team Summit Discussion Thread

ralfyguy said:
Scott, the things I'm more worried about is if there's any word there about the bugs in the 622, and the 129 (E5) satellite. Is there any news about that? They're talking about all that nice stuff that's to come, nothing wrong with that. But did you hear anything about the problems they have with some stuff and how to fix them?
Also I would like to know how much bigger the 1000.2 is compared to the old 1000, and if it's worth it to swap. Or is the 1000.2 the "FIX" for 129?
Exactly what I was wondering. The 129 satellite problem needs to be fixed and will these new dishes be that bandage ??

Laters,
Mikef5

TNGTony said:
After the Dish500+ and Dish 1000+ are distributed. My guess is shortly after June 15

Tony

Okay. So they announced the locals as next that we know have already been uplinked to 119k and they showed the dishes. How will we find out what we need to do and what the exchange offer is? Do we get contacted if we're in one of the markets and have a metal package?

nazz said:
Okay. So they announced the locals as next that we know have already been uplinked to 119k and they showed the dishes. How will we find out what we need to do and what the exchange offer is? Do we get contacted if we're in one of the markets and have a metal package?

That's a practical question.

We don't do practical here :p

John Kotches said:
That's a practical question.

We don't do practical here :p

I was afraid of that.
lol3.gif

lakebum431 said:
No, I think we'll be able to use any USB drives. When it is connected to the STB it will format the drive correctly.

Unless E* and Maxtor get together after realizing how much money they can make selling "special" drives.

They'll say they can only guarantee the Echostar drive will meet the performance requirements.

what's really missing is eSATA... that would've been way too logical for E*... another thing S3 Tivo has going for it! that would've made for a seamless expansion to internal storage. eSATA rocks, I use a few drives like this every day.

hmm so hopefully dish will finally give some on demand stuff for free like cable does, with the special events on demand channel.

To bad they didn't have a howard stern on deman (cause it's tied to indemand probably) no biggie i've been getting them with torrents

When they roll out true on-demand, would the hbo on-demand and othe premium channel stuff be the first stuff we get, or 3rd party stuff like howard stern? Plus when it rolls out, doesn't that leave Dish's VOD completely obsolete?

I hope the boxes don't auto-format any HDD you hook up to it, you may hook up something with progams and lose them because you forgot something was on it. If you have multiple 622's in the house, and don't have your drives marked, it could be a nightmare. It should show you what's on the drive, but not allow you to access the programs unless the correct unit is connected to it.

If they are going to do On-Demand like cable does then they better prepare to have one or two of those 500 GB hard drives in each of their receivers, especially if they want to do On-Demand HD. Does cable do On-Demand in HD yet? I saw this On-Demand last year at a friend's house and it was just like picking the show from the DVR Events screen. Also had a nephew compliment on the On-Demand service in Columbus, OH with their cable system and said it was a bit better than the Dish Network system he had previously when he was in WV. It is no wonder why satellite is having a hard time getting as many new subscribers.

Stargazer said:
Does cable do On-Demand in HD yet? I saw this On-Demand last year at a friend's house and it was just like picking the show from the DVR Events screen. Also had a nephew compliment on the On-Demand service in Columbus, OH with their cable system and said it was a bit better than the Dish Network system he had previously when he was in WV. It is no wonder why satellite is having a hard time getting as many new subscribers.

Comcast offers a pretty decent selection of movies in HD on demand, but no episodic programs, no HBO/SHO HD On Demand yet. They have some free HD movies, but all seem to be fullscreen 16:9 with only DD2.0 audio.

Mikef5 said:
Exactly what I was wondering. The 129 satellite problem needs to be fixed and will these new dishes be that bandage ??

Laters,
Mikef5
I had not had any problem with 129 until the HGTV HD and NG HD channels were added, They appear to be on a very weak TP (signal strength dips to mid 40's) and have locked up my 622 twice today already.

My 622 has been working very well up to now - the low signal strengths are trashing the OS on the 622.

Somebody launch a stinger into Echostar V so Dish will have to replace it with a satellite that works.

1:37pm - signal just dropped to 44 on 129 TP 22 - bad pixelation but 622 survived this Dish attack.

2:48pm - HGTV HD locked up entire 622 - third soft reboot in last 4 hours - all caused by poor signal quality. - Guess I'll stop watching HGTV-HD and NG-HD.

Last edited:
Mikef5 said:

Laters,
Mikef5
Mike, the lowest reading I've seen is 64 on TP-08, there's about 4-5 others in the high 60's and the rest are 70's and 80's. I don't know which are the important ones, or if there is a difference, but in a week and a half I haven't had any dropouts or pixelation. I'm using a single Dish-500 with a single LNB specifically for that satellite.

keenan said:
Mike, the lowest reading I've seen is 64 on TP-08, there's about 4-5 others in the high 60's and the rest are 70's and 80's. I don't know which are the important ones, or if there is a difference, but in a week and a half I haven't had any dropouts or pixelation. I'm using a single Dish-500 with a single LNB specifically for that satellite.
Thanks Keenan, I'm still waiting for my install but I want to make sure the installers use the proper dish/dishes for our area. So it looks like the 2 dish option works best for the Bay Area ?? From all that I've read in this forum dish is pure heaven compared to the 550 MHz hell of Comcast :devil:
Can't wait to get this thing done.

Laters,
Mikef5

Mikef5 said:
Thanks Keenan, I'm still waiting for my install but I want to make sure the installers use the proper dish/dishes for our area. So it looks like the 2 dish option works best for the Bay Area ?? From all that I've read in this forum dish is pure heaven compared to the 550 MHz hell of Comcast :devil:
Can't wait to get this thing done.

Laters,
Mikef5
Well, it is for my location, and it makes sense as the dish can be peaked for that one sat and not have to worry about getting 110 and 119. Plus, I didn't have a wide enough angle through the redwoods for the single dish setup. If you have the room and don't mind multiple dishes, I would go with a 3 dish setup, 110/119, 129 and 148.

And yes, going from 550 cable to Dish is a huge jump, I don't know about heaven, but maybe pretty close. :D I don't want to take this thread too far off track, but you might consider putting up a dish for 148 to get KCBS-HD in LA, in case Sutro goes down and KPIX is off the air. I don't know what the status is on the other 3 of the majors, but being in O&O country we should have a shot at getting at least 2 of them if they ever become available. I'm not even sure what sat they would be on, but if you get all 4 sat locations you should be covered, one of the pros here will have to fill us in.

Jim5506 said:
I had not had any problem with 129 until the HGTV HD and NG HD channels were added, They appear to be on a very weak TP (signal strength dips to mid 40's) and have locked up my 622 twice today already.

My 622 has been working very well up to now - the low signal strengths are trashing the OS on the 622.

Somebody launch a stinger into Echostar V so Dish will have to replace it with a satellite that works.

1:37pm - signal just dropped to 44 on 129 TP 22 - bad pixelation but 622 survived this Dish attack.

2:48pm - HGTV HD locked up entire 622 - third soft reboot in last 4 hours - all caused by poor signal quality. - Guess I'll stop watching HGTV-HD and NG-HD.
I have the same problem with 61.5. I believe they are on TP 20 and 22 and are the lowest strength. They pixelate and flash the "lost signal" but no lockups for me yet, still they are watchable but very frustrating.

I am surprised that people tolerate 129 as much as they do if a lot of people are having as many problems as they say they are having. I guess when you have more HD content than anybody else then you dont have much choice since there is nobody else to get those same channels. When Directv and cable gets the channels then Dish better have those problems fixed by that time.

Yup, I had two lockups on both of my 211's with the new channels. I am getting them from the 61.5. This is the first black screen lockup I have had in months.

All the national stuff seems to be on the weakest TP's I have a 89 signal on TP12 off 129, but I don't get programming from there. This doesn't make sense.
BTW, seems like I have about the best signals from all of you, even though I have a 1000.

Well I fixed my low signal strength for the new channels yesterday.
I swapped out my 300 with a 500 (with an I-adapter). I got a 15-20 point boost on most transponders.
Bring on the Huricane season. Also "GO HURICANES" !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)