Team Summit General Assembly Notes

Uplink on 24 Ghz. Downlink on 17 Ghz. Places the band in-between Regular DBS and Ka. Makes for better recaption than Ka and smaller dishes than regular DBS. Would seem to be a candidate for the new service Charlie mentioned.

17/24 GHZ BSS REPORT AND ORDER AND FURTHER NOTICE OF PROPOSED
RULEMAKING. Adopted licensing and service rules for the 17/24 GHz BSS
that will facilitate the deployment of new broadband services. by FNPRM.
(Dkt No. 06-123). Action by: the Commission. Adopted: 05/02/2007 by
R&O. (FCC No. 07-76). IB

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A1.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A2.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A3.doc
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A1.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A2.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A3.pdf
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A1.txt
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A2.txt
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-07-76A3.txt

Thank your for the explanation.

It has been my speculation for some time that with Dish launching new birds that there may be some more mirroring of programming on more birds..This sounds even more plausible given Charlie's announcemnt that services will be available on one 18 inch dish..I believe that E* may indeed "cut the country into sections" for reception....For example, The eastern seabord will view eastern oriented birds while the other two thirds will view others. Or something along those lines...
What do you think?..
As far as I am concerned, if I never saw another 3 or 4 orbital slot install, I would be very pleased.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is moving. All will stay where it is. Dish is launching its MPEG4 service on its two new satellites. So folks with old receivers will see everything they have now for quite awhile...

Then they hope to move everyone to MPEG4 boxes and sloly phase out the MPEG2 stuff.

Now I should note I just spoke with Mark Jackson a few moments ago and he told me that Charlie was not supposed to announce the MPEG4 stuff yet. And he told me he really could not talk about it yet as up until today it was supposed to be "Top Secret"
If nothing is moving as you say,does that mean forever or for now?..And if the former is the case then that further raises my suspicions that the country is going to be cut into sections for reception purposes..That or Charlie is not giving the whole story....
I really get annoyed when people say this or that is going to happen....I would prefer they keep it to themselves until they are "ready to flip the switch"

Yeah to early to know for sure how it will work out so for now nothing really to worry about. Folks will just half to wait and see what happens once it gets closer to that time.

The only thing related to Dish is that the stations they now have carriage agreements with will have to be re-done as the channels they're currently carrying will cease to exist.

I disagree..The retransmission consent is with the owner of each "channel" Just because the analog signal will go away should not mean the agreement goes with it......JMO

I disagree..The retransmission consent is with the owner of each "channel" Just because the analog signal will go away should not mean the agreement goes with it......JMO
This isn't something new. The digital channel is being treated differently with respect to retransmission consent by several of the ownership groups. I don't know the legalities of this, maybe it's because the digital channel uses a different frequency or transmission method.

In OKC right now, Cox Cable isn't carrying the ABC and Fox digital channels because of pricing disputes with Hearst-Argyle and Sinclair. Directv has both of those, but doesn't have the NBC affiliate.

I disagree..The retransmission consent is with the owner of each "channel" Just because the analog signal will go away should not mean the agreement goes with it......
The stations consider their "channels" to be distinct, not an "all for one" package deal. I don't believe for a second that it's so easy that in Feb 2009 when the analog channels are turned off that we will all of a sudden start receiving the station's digital channels unless the agreement was written that way. I see the analog shutoff as a way for the stations to force the cable and satellite providers to pay up. Many are already doing it today with their digital channels.

I'm in NW La (Shreveport)

I've got relatives around what's left of New Orleans, and near Alexandria and Lake Charles. No one left that I recall around Monroe (except graves) or Shreveport. Used to fish around Lovelace Lake and off the Ouachita River. Lot's of bream, when you could get to them before the gar did.

Dish 1000.2 users (three orb slots and Dish 500 plus non DPP LNB's) will like having the flexibilty of a DPP33...

I was referring to the future with only one 18" dish required, that means one or two satellites, not 3. So the DPP33 should, in theory at least, have a very short life with very little actual use, as the new system kicks in.

If nothing is moving as you say,does that mean forever or for now?..And if the former is the case then that further raises my suspicions that the country is going to be cut into sections for reception purposes..That or Charlie is not giving the whole story....
I really get annoyed when people say this or that is going to happen....I would prefer they keep it to themselves until they are "ready to flip the switch"

Dish would never just flip the switch and cut off customers... Selling programming is what Dish does. The "new" system will run along side the old system. If you hold out long enough on the old system, Dish will probably upgrade you for free eventually. They save money by enticing people to pay for the upgrade themselves by putting new programming only on the new system. All new customers will go on the new system. Of course the existing customers will probably be able to upgrade for "free" provided they do a programming commitment and CC autopay like they do when they get 129/61.5 added with HD service.

If you manage not to be tempted by any of the new channels and hold out long enough Dish may upgrade the last remaining for free a few years from now if they need the space, or a satellite malfunctions. Essentially the new system will be the backup for the old system, if the old satellites go out they will have to do an emergency upgrade to the new system.

Again all on one 18" Dish with one cable coming into your house.

Since this tread is 17 pages long, I might have missed a conversation about this.....

Scott said "Again all on one 18" Dish with one cable coming into your house."

I take it that means one bird, therefore one cable going to a switch (in the house), which will feed each television that will still require their own cables going to the switch.

Or, will there be a way to have a "cable like setup" where there will be no individual boxes required for each tv??

Are my assumptions correct.

Cable to a switch (if needed, most of the switches now have the switch built in) and then a cable going to each receiver.

Is it cheaper to launch a new satellite and carry MPEG-4 or secure the encryption? I believe the cart is before the horse here. I believe retailers would benefit more from a secure service.

I think retailers would benefit from a more secure service. But I don't see that happening.

The current CAS provider NAGRASTAR is a joint venture between EchoStar and the Kudelski Group.

Thing is The Kudelski Group has lousy to no peer review process.

Now I am not going to talk in detail about hacking, but I will say that from the studying of public information that the only reason hackers can hack the system currently is because an on-die feature of the MCU used the the current Smart Cards has been disabled in in ROM.

Any peer review would have pointed out the problem.

That is all I am going to say about that.

Hacking should not be be an issue when they move to all MPEG4.

Dish has a few things that they have not used yet which are built into their chipset on the MPEG4 receivers. And only their chipset has these features.

I can't wait for it to happen. (And thats all I am going to say about that) :)

I am surprised given todays technology, that there is not a way, once the satellite signals are in the home, that there is not a way to distribute all of the channels (at the same time) to all of the televisions in a home, without the need for individual tuners; like the way cable is currently done.

Seems like if the satellite dish can see all channels being broadcast at one time, this should be possible in theory.

Or am I just chasing my tail?

I am surprised given todays technology, that there is not a way, once the satellite signals are in the home, that there is not a way to distribute all of the channels (at the same time) to all of the televisions in a home, without the need for individual tuners; like the way cable is currently done.

Seems like if the satellite dish can see all channels being broadcast at one time, this should be possible in theory.

It could be done, but it would not be a cheap piece of hardware.

It would cost quite a bit to squeeze 100+ channel modulators into a Super Tuner/home distribution node.

One of the problems is that there are too many satellite programs. Even the biggest analog lineups at the cable company runs at most 80 or so channels.

Dish allows 2 TVs to share one receiver to cut down on costs. In the future it looks like you will be able to send around recordings to other receivers too.

I agree it would be nice if there was a Dish box that you could use to send 30 or so channels around the house in analog (that of course you picked the channels). The other issue is going to be is if the TVs will continue to have analog tuners in them past the OTA analog cut off?

Nice subtle hint Scott. Futures so bright you gotta wear shades!! Nice picture!! That being said the rest of you ought to know that good things are on the horizon. Trust!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts