**Team Summit Update**

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
I no longer see the channel available for the Flex Package channels. Perhaps the writing is on the wall. Not good for Dish to introduce then make a package disappear so quickly after they were really promoting it. Even worse that those people are more likely to drop Dish now after the grandfathering goes away.

For those following the info that channel for me still exists @9605 and 9606.

My best guess - When Scott has rumored info if not exactly as he got it very often there is at least some part that comes true. It could be there are changes that will be made or .... who knows maybe DISH is expanding to more A La Carte or in a different form.

Reactions: pattykay

Claude Greiner

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Detroit - The Paris of the Midwest
Never make a change in Dish (or anywhere) based on "promised" features.

Exactly

By the time they get around to offering the promised features, they just include it in the next model receiver that is coming out.

I like the idea of expansion ports like for the OTA tuner, but to be honest I wish they would just start including OTA tuners in the boxes again and would stop trying to strip features off.

Hell, the HR54 doesn't have any buttons on front and they rid of the phone line which killed caller ID.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
start including OTA tuners in the boxes again
Should computers include parallel and serial ports still too ?

OTA is used by, depending on the source, 10-15% of TV viewers. I think it's safe to presume that if a viewer subscribes to a pay-TV service, they are even less likely to use OTA so for what, 90% of Dish customers, that OTA hardware is wasted. From a 'business' and (hardware) production standpoint, I actually agree completely with Dish's reasoning.

Mochuf

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 16, 2012
Michigan
Should computers include parallel and serial ports still too ?

OTA is used by, depending on the source, 10-15% of TV viewers. I think it's safe to presume that if a viewer subscribes to a pay-TV service, they are even less likely to use OTA so for what, 90% of Dish customers, that OTA hardware is wasted. From a 'business' and (hardware) production standpoint, I actually agree completely with Dish's reasoning.
The attitudes between the OTA stations and the pay-tv providers have worsened in the last few years. Since it is rare for a station to make themselves "must carry" anymore, I think it does make business sense to include OTA tuners so that pay-tv providers can still provide OTA channels (where feasible) with less of the headaches associated with the price-gouging and blackmail from those stations.

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
The attitudes between the OTA stations and the pay-tv providers have worsened in the last few years. Since it is rare for a station to make themselves "must carry" anymore, I think it does make business sense to include OTA tuners so that pay-tv providers can still provide OTA channels (where feasible) with less of the headaches associated with the price-gouging and blackmail from those stations.
To take this one step further, if Dish would also offer Significantly Viewed out-of-market locals (where feasible) then it would reduce those headaches even further. Viewers at the outer fringe of the market, where it may be harder to get OTA reception from the in-market affiliate, would likely be covered by at least one other affiliate of the same network. Viewers in the "core" of the market, where only the in-market affiliate is Significantly Viewed, would be more likely to actually be able to get good OTA reception. Either way, every viewer (or almost every viewer) would be covered in the event of a re-transmission consent dispute.

Reactions: Mochuf

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I was thinking that a provider could drop the OTA channels altogether and offer them via the OTA tuner. The hell with those re-trans disputes.
Right, but they still need to cover the areas that do not get good OTA reception, so an additional satellite-delivered affiliate for the fringes of the market (where legally allowed) would also be a good idea.

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I was thinking that a provider could drop the OTA channels altogether and offer them via the OTA tuner. The hell with those re-trans disputes.

I am willing to bet that you live in an urban or suburban area that is probably close enough to the market's transmitters that you are able to just use rabbit ears to receive OTA stations?
Dish has millions of customers in rural areas that are 50, 60, 70, 80 or even 100+ miles from their market's transmitters.
What are these millions of rural customers supposed to do to receive their local news and weather information?

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
I am willing to bet that you live in an urban or suburban area that is probably close enough to the market's transmitters that you are able to just use rabbit ears to receive OTA stations?
Dish has millions of customers in rural areas that are 50, 60, 70, 80 or even 100+ miles from their market's transmitters.
What are these millions of rural customers supposed to do to receive their local news and weather information?
Ideally, it would be the broadcaster's responsibility to launch OTA translator stations to serve these areas. In practice, not so much.

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
SE Texas
You call 100+ miles away "local"? ;)

Evidently, you've never been west of the Mississippi. There's only one set of stations available for the State of New Mexico, and it's a pretty big geographical area. One in Utah, two in Nevada, Oklahoma, and Kansas, three in Colorado, etc.

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Ideally, it would be the broadcaster's responsibility to launch OTA translator stations to serve these areas. In practice, not so much.

They do meet that responsibility. Oh - wait you mean not on the backs of consumers that pay via Cable or Satellite that for which is supposed to be free or in most cases pay on top of already getting it for free. ;)

Reactions: pattykay

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
You call 100+ miles away "local"? ;)

It's not that unusual at all. The county I am in is 65 miles from Birmingham at its closest point. The county seat is nearly 100 miles away. When something happens newsworthy anywhere in this county, the Birmingham stations drive up the interstate here to cover it. Especially with weather.
The neighboring Huntsville market is similar. Red Bay, Ala is RIGHT on the Mississippi line, well over 100 miles from Huntsville, but when something happens in Red Bay, the stations from Huntsville cover it.
Not sure where you are, but it is not unusual at all for "local" to be in excess of 100 miles around here, not to mention the western states as been previously noted.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Evidently, you've never been west of the Mississippi. There's only one set of stations available for the State of New Mexico, and it's a pretty big geographical area. One in Utah, two in Nevada, Oklahoma, and Kansas, three in Colorado, etc.

Not sure what you mean for Oklahoma. We have full network coverage for all 4 DMA's. OKC, Tulsa, Lawton, OK/ Wichita Falls, TX and Ada, OK / Sherman Tx.

Now OKC and Tulsa do claim a lot of areas that they barely cover. OKC claims most of the western part of the State which is over a hundred miles, but barely supports it with a few translators. Tulsa claims a lot of area to the south towards McAlester but not all of the stations support that reach. State PBS (OETA) does a good job covering the entire State with the 4 main transmitters and several dozen translators.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Nope, they'd rather be carried by cable and satellite providers and get paid for that carriage. They also reach a much larger audience this way too.

Reactions: TheKrell

dishrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Springfield, IL
Evidently, you've never been west of the Mississippi... two in...Kansas

And evidently you've never been to KS...it's only covered by at least FOUR DMA's, including the Kansas City, Topeka, Witchita, Pittsburg/Joplin, & the Dodge City/Goodland & Hays markets that are satellites from the Witchita stations...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)