**Team Summit Update**

Nope, they'd rather be carried by cable and satellite providers and get paid for that carriage. They also reach a much larger audience this way too.
The trouble is, when an area is part of a distant DMA, but can't get a reliable signal, a pay-tv provider can't substitute another channel to fill that gap if they want or need to. I do see the reasoning of not being able to sub in another station during a dispute when that station is well within transmission range though.

Reactions: pattykay
The trouble is, when an area is part of a distant DMA, but can't get a reliable signal, a pay-tv provider can't substitute another channel to fill that gap if they want or need to. I do see the reasoning of not being able to sub in another station during a dispute when that station is well within transmission range though.

That's an issue to write your Congressman about.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

And evidently you've never been to KS...it's only covered by at least FOUR DMA's, including the Kansas City, Topeka, Witchita, Pittsburg/Joplin, & the Dodge City/Goodland & Hays markets that are satellites from the Witchita stations...

Maybe I didn't make my point well. I was responding to a comment that a station from 100 miles away wasn't "local". There are many areas of Kansas which receive their locals from stations which are over 100 miles away.

You point is well made, though. Many receive their locals from across State lines. I was simply referring to the fact that there are only stations broadcast from Wichita and Topeka in a state which measures over 400X200 miles in size.

It's not that unusual at all.

You guys. :rolleyes I was born out there (CA), vacationed all over the west, and worked in Los Alamos, NM, for a time which I absolutely loved BTW. The spaces are vast; I love distant horizons. It's just that 100 miles is not what I would call "local". If there is only one DMA in all of NM, which fact I did not realize, then what benefit does it do you to have "local" weather, or "local" murder and mayhem on the "local" news, when all that is happening so far away you might as well be in a different state?
I was responding to a comment that a station from 100 miles away wasn't "local".

Well, it isn't!

Reactions: pattykay
You guys. :rolleyes I was born out there (CA), vacationed all over the west, and worked in Los Alamos, NM, for a time which I absolutely loved BTW. The spaces are vast; I love distant horizons. It's just that 100 miles is not what I would call "local". If there is only one DMA in all of NM, which fact I did not realize, then what benefit does it do you to have "local" weather, or "local" murder and mayhem on the "local" news, when all that is happening so far away you might as well be in a different state?

Well, it isn't!

New Mexico is mainly served by the Albuquerque DMA but stations in Albuquerque have full power satellites in Farmington, Roswell and Carlsbad in addition to many lower power translators all over the state. South central and southwest NM (Las Cruces/Alamogordo) is served from the El Paso TX DMA, Far northeastern NM (Clovis /Portales/Clayton) is served by the Amarillo, TX DMA, Far southeastern NM (Hobbs/Eunice/Jal) is served by the Midland-Odessa TX DMA.

Reactions: TheKrell

Well, it isn't!

I live 120 miles from Memphis. If this area were part of the Memphis DMA, and they covered the "big" stories that happen here, and provide this area with weather coverage, especially in severe weather, then I would consider it "local" coverage.

Evidently, you've never been west of the Mississippi. There's only one set of stations available for the State of New Mexico, and it's a pretty big geographical area. One in Utah, two in Nevada, Oklahoma, and Kansas, three in Colorado, etc.

Yeah, but nobody lives in half of those states. They are mostly desert.

Yeah, but nobody lives in half of those states. They are mostly desert.

So that means the people in Utah or New Mexico that choose to live in the rural areas hundreds of miles from Salt Lake or Albuquerque shouldn't be able to enjoy news and weather from their State?

That's an issue to write your Congressman about.
I would just suggest one small change to the law: when stations negotiate for re-transmission consent, they should be required to grant re-transmission consent for the entire area where they can legally be offered, including the out-of-market Significantly Viewed areas. This would allow markets to overlap (in practice, not just in theory like it is now) and increase the chance that a replacement affiliate would already be available if one of the affiliates gets dropped during a dispute.

I would just suggest one small change to the law: when stations negotiate for re-transmission consent, they should be required to grant re-transmission consent for the entire area where they can legally be offered, including the out-of-market Significantly Viewed areas. This would allow markets to overlap (in practice, not just in theory like it is now) and increase the chance that a replacement affiliate would already be available if one of the affiliates gets dropped during a dispute.

Then the local stations would loose their leverage with the carriers.

If their signal can be replaced with a similar one, nobody negotiates, just go with the alternate.

This is just exactly the opposite of the local monopolies now created for stations.

Iknow we abhor monopolies, but we either keep the monopoly model we have had for for over 70 years or we tear it up an open all DNA's to "let the big dog win".

Small stations have enough trouble generating revenue without carriers being able to substitute an outside signal on them.

Small stations are going under and being gobbled up by corporations like Sinclair, NexStar, etc. who have more negotiating strength, driving up retrans rates allover.

Small stations are going under and being gobbled up by corporations like Sinclair, NexStar, etc. who have more negotiating strength, driving up retrans rates allover.
Kind of like what's happening to MVPDs, retail, technology, pharmaceuticals, hotels, etc, etc, etc...

The consumer loses, small business loses. Big government is in cahoots with big business. Bring on the mergers and acquisitions.

Reactions: Hall and TheKrell
Scott, there's something messed up in the Forum Thread Indexing. I clicked in the "**Team Summit Update**" thread and all the posts are on DMA / Locals / Must Carry.

Just joking, but really, that was it for news from Team Summit?

Reactions: DWS44 and TheKrell
To take this one step further, if Dish would also offer Significantly Viewed out-of-market locals (where feasible) then it would reduce those headaches even further. Viewers at the outer fringe of the market, where it may be harder to get OTA reception from the in-market affiliate, would likely be covered by at least one other affiliate of the same network. Viewers in the "core" of the market, where only the in-market affiliate is Significantly Viewed, would be more likely to actually be able to get good OTA reception. Either way, every viewer (or almost every viewer) would be covered in the event of a re-transmission consent dispute.

They don't because then Dish would have to pay the nickel or what ever other extortion fee the providers want to carry that station.

If the provider was only required to pay for the channels in the DMA, and got the significant viewed channels for free this would not be an issue.

Notice that Team Summit has come and gone and promised May software that will give you two ota channels at the same time on the usb dongle hasn't happened yet. Three more days in May and then I guess we will have to assume they didn't mean May of 2017.

Reactions: Tampa8 and Yragha
And I was foolish enough to hope they would at least mention Netflix on the 4K Joey. It ain't gonna happen. My daughter just bought some offbrand chinese TV for her bedroom and IT had Netflix built in. Sigh.

Reactions: Hall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts