Team Summit

I still would like to see a receiver with more than two satellite inputs. OTA at my house is really not an option.

I would like to see a sat dvr receiver with 4 sat tuners and 4 ota tuners and the ability to run it in hd to 4 hd tvs in the house. All for NO EXTRA FEE other than the dvr fee. :D But I am sure with DISH they would find away to up the dvr fee to make up for the lack of additional receiver fees .:rolleyes:

My primary receiver is a 622 and I have an external HD for it already so there's no need to incur the $40 fee again.
Ah, OK. The only remaining issue is that the $40 EHD fee was eliminated for the 612/622/722/722k/922. The 211 DVR conversion fee remains at $40. If you already paid $40 for your EHD, that does not miraculously get refunded to you and applied to your 211's. Though that would be nice. ;)

Scott,

Could you ask them if they will add American Life Network and how about these few channels in HD

1. IFC HD

2. WE HD

3. Gospel Music Channel HD

4. Superstations HD

Thanks,

Chris

OH, and a software upgrade so we could daisy chain EHDs together to create our own little libraries. You want to handcuff us to you? Allowing us to build 10TB of stored content would make sure we NEVER leave.

Well, I thought that with my 6tb Library, I wouldn't ever leave. That's until Cheap Charlie decided that as long as he gave up on YES & MSG he might as well dump the rest of the NY sports fans, by not getting the deal done with SNY. Giving up my 922 and 6tb library are going to be the hardest thing for me. But, it's off to Costco tomorrow to order DirecTV. Sorry Charlie, only the best Satellite company gets my business!

What world do you live in? The most watched programs of all time are sports events.

Just for arguments sake, I'd love to see the viewership numbers if you pulled the Superbowl out of the statistics....

DISH has 14.5M customers. It's a safe assumption somewhere in the neighborhood of ~12.0M of them based on DISH's past statements COULDN'T CARE LESS about whether or not you get to watch Monday Night Football, MLB, and British Soccer Finals in high def from 20 different angles. Those same viewers also don't care to pay for the privilege. Someone posted "well just charge more and throw in some niche channels". That is BAD business logic. You don't charge 10M customers to cater to 1.5 or less. The money doesn't justify it.

And yes, pricing has a lot to do with it. The sports fanboys don't seem to understanding that it's smart for Charlie to avoid sports; those channels, which only interest the minority of subscribers cost upwards of 3-15x (ranging from RSN to major channels/packages) more than your average premium channel. Why buy HBO and then buy Center Ice or some other pack that costs 3-15 HBO's worth of cashflow? Sure, it makes the sports nuts happy, but again, bad business.

Assume HBO costs $1.00 per DISH's sub base (just to keep the numbers neat, I'm sure it's cents on the dollar)
Now assume Favorite Sports Crap costs $3.00

12.5M customers are supporting the $1 programming
~1.5M customers are supporting the $3 programming

The problem is, there are fewer customers supporting the triple-costed $3 package across a MUCH smaller demand base. In business terms, it's an obscene indiscretion in operating leverage. Couple this with the fact that sports channels often demand penetration into that $1 sub base who has no interest in their product and those 1.5M customers are now increasing the prices not just for themselves, but overall for a 14M customer sub base.

It's simple money; sports networks are greedy and sports fanatics don't care. Even at 30%, it's bad business due to cost. To justify the package prices sports networks charge, you need a 2-3x return on investment, which your 2M (or 30% or whoever would actually buy it) might support; but the majority of your customer base can't and won't. You do it anyways, their bills increase, your retention costs increase and your calls increase. For those 2M customers, you just pissed off ~12M and increased your churn.

Sports is great business if you happen to be pushing sports product (all the major leagues, stadiums, merchandising, etc). For everyone else, it sucks.

Last edited:
I would just let Dish handle their business. They actually seem to know what they are doing. The majority of all customers want the cheapest damn thing they can get. Dish offers the cheapest packages. That's their thing. For those who do not like the channels they offer there are other TV providers so people can have a choice. It's an amzing concept.

Originally Posted by BobMurdoch
"OH, and a software upgrade so we could daisy chain EHDs together to create our own little libraries. You want to handcuff us to you? Allowing us to build 10TB of stored content would make sure we NEVER leave."

Scary part is, he is serious. :no

OH, and a software upgrade so we could daisy chain EHDs together to create our own little libraries. You want to handcuff us to you? Allowing us to build 10TB of stored content would make sure we NEVER leave.

Up until S112/S113 I had four USB EHD's attached to a USB hub and my 922 saw all four. You were able to select with the 922's remote which EHD you wanted to use. They were listed as External Device 1, External Device 2 and so on. With S112/S113 and continuing with S114 only two drives could be used this way. That and the content on the drives is something I will miss when DirecTV is installed next week. No SNY, No DishNetwork!

Just for arguments sake, I'd love to see the viewership numbers if you pulled the Superbowl out of the statistics....

Ok well.... The NBA beat out WWE Raw for for this week....

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...playoffs-wwe-raw-ncis-top-cable-viewing/90620

Oh... Yea and here's this nugget of knowledge... If the NBA isnt going to get you... Disney will.. Who's charlie fighting with... You guessed It DISNEY! and disney owns ESPN!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-18-49-disney-tops-primetime-viewership/90017

I also don't byte on the argument that sports is a minority.... IF that's the case why would Directv have over 19.2 million subs (as per last press release) Sports is a Major part of Directv's packages. If sports is such a minority then why is it that directv has a quarter more subs than dish? Also, most people can care less about out of market sporting events, They just want their local sports in HD all the time. They want their local RSN.

Looking at the numbers, I was trying to get an actual list of what each rsn charges... The latest numbers I could find was 2.50 per sub per month for FSN West (roughly)

That's not much especially when you consider that dish has dropped the entire disney suite and hasn't lowered your bill. On the flip coin I have seen the numbers as low as 1 dollar, and as high as 3.00 per sub. ESPN is much higher. Also, keep in mind that Dish is most likely already paying at-least half of this amount per sub as they have current carriage agreements in place for the SD stuff.

Also its going to get much worse as NBC now owns Comcast and Comast sports net rights.. Disney owns ABC, and ESPN... Fox owns FSN.. and other fox related elements.. The only way you will be able to negotiate down is have some sort of network that pulls in ratings, so you can use it as leverage. You carry XYZ for reduced price, as long as we get a reduced price on CSNCH and other related elements.

I dont see this working out too well for dish as they own 0 networks. Directv on the other hand, has a hand in the Fox and FSN related stuff as they do a majority of the FSN back hauls over cband.

I think one innovation would be additional tuners (beyond the current 2 tuners) for download use EXCLUSIVELY! Meaning that people don't have to shut the boxes off or otherwise not have the full compliment of VOD content. Over the Top is likely to grow in the short-term as well as high quality movies delivery, and Dish needs a way to download load OTT content without needing any of the tuners used for DVR/TV watching. A dedicated tuner (or two) for this purpose would greatly enhance the "on-line" content experience as the most popular movies (beyond what is download to all users) or TV shows could be efficiently downloaded without (in a que) the need for broaband internet. While the vast majority of content (less popular fare) would still be available ONLY via broadband internet, Dish could be using these exclusive tuners to download high quality content more efficiently and faster than broadband internet. Echostar has TONS of satellite bandwidth beyond using the current birds use by Dish for its regular MVPD service.

I know, you woudn't be able to use these tuners for DVR/TV watching, but I do believe dedicated tuners for downloads makes sense in guaranteeing delivery of high quality content to everyone more reliable and efficient for the most popular content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts