Tech Chat Recap 2-9-9

Nice job Don, and the clips really help bring it to life. Those who may be interested in the 922 should catch a replay for a well-done demo of the new interface.

Got my recap up later last night at EKB: Tech Forum Summary, 2/9/09
Thanks! I appreciate it, I read yours (as well as James Long's)this morning, Good Job!:)
I have the groups clip,(and some others) but will have to split it to put up as it is large...
Btw Nice to have met you in person at CES...

Personally I think they should just ditch the 722k and just release the 922. Once the 922 comes out, who is going to want a 722k?

Given the complaints in another thread about the new UI and remote being too difficult for some users, I think E* having the 722K around would be like Apple keeping the "iPod Classic" when they introduced the iPod Touch. With the 722K they keep the "classic" Dish UI and a traditional remote around for those that want it and the more tech-savvy can get the 922.

Given the complaints in another thread about the new UI and remote being too difficult for some users, I think E* having the 722K around would be like Apple keeping the "iPod Classic" when they introduced the iPod Touch. With the 722K they keep the "classic" Dish UI and a traditional remote around for those that want it and the more tech-savvy can get the 922.
I got a iPod classic not because I'm not tech savy but because well one the price and second that they didn't have a touch that was as big as I wanted. I decided I wasn't paying that much when it had a smaller hard drive than I wanted.

I got a iPod classic not because I'm not tech savy but because well one the price and second that they didn't have a touch that was as big as I wanted. I decided I wasn't paying that much when it had a smaller hard drive than I wanted.

I didn't mean to imply iPod Classic owners weren't tech-savvy, that part of the analogy wasn't meant to apply. I meant in terms of some people who voiced discomfort with the new multi-touch UI and providing them with an alternative with the traditional iPod UI. My analogy was mainly inspired by another thread here that makes much of how the new 922 UI and remote will be incomprehensible to so-called "old" people. I was just bringing up that if indeed that will be a problem the 722K will be around for them. Sorry if you took offense. :)

The title of this thread makes me think of menu-2-9-9. It'd be pretty funny if that actually gave you access to the tech chat.

Has anyone connected with a blackberry? Is that a different URL?
I'm wondering the same thing. I have a Curve and I've tried using the BB's built-in browser as well as Opera Mini, and neither work. They just pull up the standard page which is too script-heavy to work with either browser.

I'm wondering the same thing. I have a Curve and I've tried using the BB's built-in browser as well as Opera Mini, and neither work. They just pull up the standard page which is too script-heavy to work with either browser.
Did you try the iPhone optimized site?
<dish.sling.com/iphone.php>

That is what the regular page redirects to on iPhones and some users have reported success using it on their non-iPhones. You can browse to it on your PC and see it there too.

Did you try the iPhone optimized site?
<dish.sling.com/iphone.php>

That is what the regular page redirects to on iPhones and some users have reported success using it on their non-iPhones. You can browse to it on your PC and see it there too.
Well, definitely doesn't work in Opera Mini. Depends on being able to run Javascript on the client end.

Doesn't work with the built-in browser either. Can't click on [login].

I did manage to down SlingPlayer Mobile onto the Blackberry (had to update the Curve to 4.5 first). But it doesn't seem to do anything with my Dish Sling account. It prompts for user/pass which I put in, but then it doesn't have any info.

I have Settings, Connect, and Directory. If I choose Connect or Directory, I get "Please add Slingboxes to your Sling Account using SlingPlayer 2.0/Windows.". It's as if it's specifically designed for a full Slingbox setup, and useless for this new special Dishnetwork deal. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

1. It works fine without a slingbox. Actually, the iPhone app doesn't support streaming content just yet (I don't think), just the remote and scheduling bit.
  2. If you are already signed up for the sling guide beta, then you are golden. The iphone app is actually a web app, not a stand alone application. I just added a bookmark to my home screen for fast access. Just go to <dish.sling.com>, where it will redirect you to <dish.sling.com/iphone.php>. In fact, you can just navigate to the iphone website on your computer and do all of the same remote tricks. I think if you have a java enabled browser on your phone, you could browse to that website with your phone and see if it works that way too.

I just activated my beta account tonight, and I have to say the iPhone web app is sweet. It runs in Safari but it's clearly optimized for the iPhone.

Can't wait to show this to some of my AV/geek friends tomorrow...

This is what gets me... if you can post sound and movie bytes from monday's show, why can't you post retailer recaps for all of us to see? Reminds me of the wizard of oz. Don't look behind the curtain young'in.

The upcomming ViP 922 is a real cool product and one that I'm looking forward to, but I'm also wondering if it couldn't be possible to add Sling features to our existing ViP 722.'

Barring that the 722 couldn't accept additional video sources, the biggest difference (besides the software and memory size, perhaps that is part of the issue), there would be special encoding chips to convert Analog HD signals to video streaming.

Even if one could only stream Dish programming already recorded on the ViP 722, that would be pretty cool. I can't think of a technical reason why it couldn't work outside of possible memory footprint of the software and the space available on the 722 flash.

I suspect that it might be seen as taking away market for the Slingbox line of products, but envious DirecTV and Cable owners could easily get the same features with the purchase of a Slingbox. Dish could even have an activation fee like that of the External HD option for some revenue.

But that would make a big win. Look, our exisiting DVR's are so advanced we can give you these killer features without new hardware. What's that? You also want to stream your Blu-Ray or DVD over the system? Then you wan the seriously cool ViP 922.

Again, I suspect this won't happen, and I'll just have to shell out for a Slingbox Pro HD, but if possible it could really be a big differentiator to say that it can be added to existing product on the market already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)