tech chat reply re: external storage

teachsac

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Nov 3, 2005
Elk Grove, CA
Thought you guys would get a kick out of this and I got permission to post this. I omitted the employees name to avoid embarrassment.

Scott

Dear Mr. Pearson,

Thank you for your e-mail. The ViP622 has external USB hard drive
support since the L401 software update. To verify that your receiver has
been updated, please check:

* Press the "Menu" button followed by the numbers 6-1-3 on the remote.
* Your software is listed in box D. It should be L401 or higher.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me at any time.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to
be of assistance to you. If you have further questions you can respond
to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following
link:
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml

A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 24 hours a
day, 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following
link to use this option.
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/content/tech
/techchatadvcustformrf23.shtml

Thanks,

XXXXX X.
DISH Network Technical eCare

hehe, has anyone hooked up a External Hard Drive to see what happens? I have a MyBook (the USB 2.0 WD ext HD) on my Wife's comp, maybe I should try that.

Who answers the tech chat emails that don't get a response during the show? Is it the normal tech support team?

Last edited:
Who answers the tech chat emails that don't get a response during the show? Is the the normal tech support team?

Last week I was in Detroit and heard an ad for Dish service and they talked about the HD DVR and connecting an external hard drive to it. The first time I heard it thought I heard it wrong. I heard the ad later in the day and they said the same thing again. I did noticed since the 4.01 update that it list external hard drive but I haven't physically connected an external HDD to it yet.

This can't be for real! But that's an awfully specific response from Customer Service. Makes me think they intended to include the external HDD support in 4.01, wrote the Tech Support "crib notes" for it, then pulled it out at the last minute. Because so far people are reporting that it doesn't work. I will try when I get home, but I am not holding my breath.

i remember in a tech forum that we watch every so often in our meetings (im a dns tech) they said you were able to hook up an exterenal hd to a reciever w/ a usb port (622, 625, 522, 211 etc. ) and have it activated to your account for a one time 5.99 fee. never seen any customer do it yet tho so im not sure if it actually works.

Ok, so who's gonna call customer service and ask them to activate their external HDD? Would be interesting to see what they say. Maybe if there are "tech crib notes", there are also options in the CSR's menu's that don't quite lead anywhere yet... Although that might be risky because the code might be in place to charge your account.

Any volunteers? lol.

Go for it! You know you want to.

I would, but I don't have a USB drive to plug in when I call (don't plan on buying one until the feature is actually available)
Wouldn't want them to call my bluff on calling their bluff (if that makes sense!)

If I can locate a suitable drive, I might just call and ask them to activate it, also replace my LNBF that is drifting, and activate Cinemax HD since I already sub to DishHD and that's all that's required. (discusson on these two already in other threads)

Maybe I can confuse the CSR to death with that list. :D

I forwarded the e-mail to one of my contacts to see what they would say.

Hi Scott,

Your email regarding the external hard drive support was forwarded to me
by XXXX XXXXX. I appologize for the incorrect information that was sent
to you. I have contacted the group who answered your email and have
made sure they are aware of the correct information.

Currently external hard drive support is not available. We anticiapte
that it may be available later this summer, but I don't have a firm date
at this point. We are anxious to get this support out there to our
customers because we know it will be a very popular feature.

Thanks,
XXXXXX XXXXXX
Program Manager, ETC Software Engineering

As I posted months ago, this will not come before 2008 if at all. Notice the "may come later this summer" May is the key word. They know already it isn't coming this year.

Information I originally received came to me from someone in direct contact with Leslie Harper.

As I posted months ago, this will not come before 2008 if at all. Notice the "may come later this summer" May is the key word. They know already it isn't coming this year.

Information I originally received came to me from someone in direct contact with Leslie Harper.

Do you have some information the rest of us don't have?

Anyone having this issue? - 622: Erasing Program Guide Memory

Slight Pixelation on HD channels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts