Tech Chat - What do YOU want to see?

kevcar0603 said:
Wow i've never had to do that . Had it for 3 months now.

Mine restarts, reboots, throws up, stops working, etc. every few days. It locked up hard after the latest release and I had to recover it on another coax connection from the satellite. Its a very flakey unit for me. MPEG4 cant come fast enough to get rid of it.

lvkewlkid said:
Reply: Well, some people joined for the bingoTV and Dish-On-Demand. I enjoy bingoTV every wednesday and Dish-On-Demand is there when I can't get to Hollywood Video. Just because you don't like those 2 features, doesnt mean that everyone else has to suffer from losing the channels.
You joined for BingoTV? Holy crap. :eek:

Quote: You joined for BingoTV? Holy crap
Reply: I didnt just join just for bingoTV, but it is a great channel to have. I also joined for HBO Comedy, dish home, the DVR, better PI channels, especially Free Speech TV, NICK GAS, Showtime Beyond, TMC Xtra, Sirius and Muzak, and all the good stuff that dish has, plus the discount on my Sprint Bill.

Other than HBO Comedy, there's nothing in your first list that interests me one iota. OTOH, I do have HBO Comedy with Comcast. (as well as a very nice HD DVR with no upfront cost.)

BTW, you do realize that most of the channels on your wish list are already provided by DirecTV and many Cable systems?

I guess it depends on which list is more important.

I had direcTV and cable, and i wasnt happy with them, dish has more channels that i'm interested in than direcTV and i also get a discount with my sprint residential service with E*. dish is also cheaper than what directv was and directv had terrible customer service.

1) New HD content/channels, i.e. UHD etc., and talk of more Voom content (starting to go a bit stale, haven't added much since going 'live' on E*). Some numbers on new HD subs and the general response to Voom would be nice.

2) MPEG-4 roadmap. Like others, I think it'd be nice to get some concrete timelines and an idea of the upgrade path/procedures.

3) 942 issues and addt'l features (HDD backup, VOD, portable players).

Take those in any particular order, but I'd love to hear something about all of the above.

Bradtothebone said:
What I want to see:
  • MPEG-4 general plans and timeline
  • Discussion of portable DVR technology (brief)
  • Plans for new MPEG-4 receivers with timelines and change-out deals

What I do NOT want to see:
  • Any kind of "cute" movie
  • Remote Control tips and tricks

Thanks!

Brad

The Tech Forum USED to be aimed at the technical intelligentsia who could program their receivers and remotes without any help, and got into geek level type questions. In the last two years it seems like they have been dumbing them down.

PLEASE go into some details about your long term plans re: MPeg4, new receivers, Dish1000, HD Locals (at least NY and LA to plant the flag), and some honest answers about bug fixes and features in older receivers (1-3 years old, especially the 921 for those folks that spent $1000 for a receiver that was supposed to be the flagship and wound up being a rusty hulk (if you read these forums as the basis for your opinion).

Plus, how about some more direct contact with us here and at the other site. Backchannel discussions with NDAs don't count. How about appointing 3 or 4 high level engineers to answer questions here. You can always beg off on any questions that give the lawyers (or Charlie) fits, but it would be nice to get some straight talk from the horse's mouth for a change. (and since you mostly only let the softball questions in from the mentally deficient E* users among us, it would be nice to answer some of the louder suggestions and complaints levied around here.)

I appreciate you guys even taking time to do these chats, but we aspire for them to be so much more. D* has retaken the lead in subscriber additions... embracing us may help you reverse that trend as we help potential subscribers make the E* choice with positive comments (which DO come when you guys make good decisions like the Voom additions)

Besides the MPEG4/HD/129 Questions already stated....

1) 1920x1080i on the remaining 6 Voom Channels....When? I don't need cartoons in 1920x1080i but Guy and Majestic would be nice in the higher res and bandwidth.

2) Why do they continue to mess around with ShowtimeHD and HDNET Movies that causes transmission errors (worse on ShowtimeHD than HDNET Movies). They have proven they can get it right only to screw it up again.....why not get it right and leave it alone? They do it with HBOHD (Though HDNET Movies is better than it was 3 months ago). Also see #3.

3) What's with the AC3 frame errors beginning on the HD Channels (mostly seen/heard on HDNET Movies and Voom) lately? Mostly unnoticeable - but clearly there where they were not before.

jergenf said:
The L215 software update allowed ...<snip>
I've followed the issue closely enough to know what users experienced. My point is that L216 and L218 represent such major blunders in programming and customer service that 921 owners deserve an explanation and an apology.

I don't receive dish-on-demand (and don't want it...look into netflix...), and bingotv is blacked out in my state. Wastes of space...

If I wanted to play games, I would turn on the xbox I paid for to play games. When I want to watch tv, I expect to get that on my dish. Dish Home has no logical purpose, it loads slowly, the weather is lame, etc...

I think the tech chat has gotten 'dumbed down' because it's on the 101 channel. If they put it somewhere else, maybe the charlie-chat guests wouldn't see it and they could get back to business. They probably got sick of Ma and Pa watching tech chat and then getting completely confused and calling E* for dumbed-down explanations, so they just cut out the middle man...

I would like to hear about the new MPEG-4 HD receivers, the model 411 (single tuner), the model 422 (two tuners) and the 962 (HD DVR).

DISCUSS/SHOW

1. Discuss in some detail all the new MPEG units that are coming from a hardware standpoint

2. Discuss upgrade pathways and options

3. Discuss channel reorganizations on current birds

4. Discuss new dishes coming

5. Discuss local and national HD feeds -- when and what

6. Discuss when all east and west premium HD content will be delivered -- like VOOM once offered

7. Discuss when HD PPV movie choices will be expanded

8. Discuss and demo the AV700 portable DVR unit

DO NOT DISCUSS/SHOW

1. Remote control tips

2. On-demand services

3. Cute video clips

4. Non-technical guests

5. Read newbie customer email

Like others are saying:

1. Dish 50x DVR Name Based Recording
2. Offer 2Wire Media Portal receiver
3. MPEG4 update
4. HD Locals
5. 942 250$ Lease to current customers

Charlie Chat Wish List

1. Where is ESPNU?
2. Where is ESPNU?
3. Where is ESPNU?
4. Where is CSTV?
5. Where is ESPNU?

rocatman said:
I would like to hear about the new MPEG-4 HD receivers, the model 411 (single tuner), the model 422 (two tuners) and the 962 (HD DVR).
You already know the model numbers of the mpeg4 reveivers? Please tell all.

Since this will probably be the last tech chat before I decide to keep/dump dish.. I would like to see:

1. HD DVR with no up front lease fee. Will this happen?

2. What new HD channels are in the works? (mpeg4 or not?)

3. How do you plan to deal with cell phone only customers?

No guests, no stupid videos, just the facts, please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts