Tech Forum Recap

Indy said:
This is how I heard it too. I also gathered that the model 811 and 6000 owners have to send their receivers in to qualify for the swap at $49. The non HD subscribers get the same $49 deal but do not have to sacrifice any equipment.

If this is true then why are the 6000/811 owners being penalized for the upgrade?!protest

Turning in an 811 doesn't sound like a penalty to me. I can't wait to get rid of mine. Especially since they pooched the black levels on the Component output.

NOHDjunkie said:
Turning in an 811 doesn't sound like a penalty to me. I can't wait to get rid of mine. Especially since they pooched the black levels on the Component output.

I just BOUGHT my 811 for $300 6 months ago. I think giving Dish something I own in exchange for something I am going to lease and NEVER own is a little lopsided in the math. :rolleyes: Let me guess, you are leasing your 811 right?

Not such a good deal for 942 owners who shelled $600 for a 942. Now on top of not owning the 622 we have to give them $99. Sounds like a scam to me.

I'd like to know if it'll be possible to lease 2 622s. I'm thinking about leasing one for $299, then when April 1st rolls around, swap my leased 942 for a $99 622.

I dont know I feel that it is an OK deal.

So what you dont own the receiver anymore, it's not like you can use it if you leave Dish as they disable the OTA tuner anyways.

For $99 it is well worth it.

Sean Mota said:
Not such a good deal for 942 owners who shelled $600 for a 942. Now on top of not owning the 622 we have to give them $99. Sounds like a scam to me.

I agree. When the 942 rolled out I believe Dish implied the 942 would be Mpeg4 compatible. Or the Mpeg4 issue and the 942 was never answered officially until they sold a good number of them. Off to Canada and a new life with Bell Express View the 921's and 942's go! Now how is that for a money maker? Sell them for $649 to Dish customers, get them back for nothing considering you are giving them up for a lease deal. Then Dish sells them to Bell Express View for another $600 each! :eek:

I believe Dish has come up with the answer to the age old problem of electronics obsolescence. Just re invent the end use and be in total control of the supply chain.:devil:

Scott Greczkowski said:

So what you dont own the receiver anymore, it's not like you can use it if you leave Dish as they disable the OTA tuner anyways.

Scott, I don't mean to offend but.... How many freebies come your way in the course of this business to offset your loses? Beta testing and the sort? Remember, I am trying to be kind here with the questions. No meet behind the woodshed please!:p

Scott
I could see from the 622 screen shots you have a 119/110/61.5, Will you add a D1000 and keep the 61.5 ? Or just keep 119/110/61.5 ?

MSG said:
Can anybody confirm the eligibility for $200 rebate for existing 811 receivers after April 1?

Sure can! The answer is NO!!!! That was clearly stated on the chat last night.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Scott,

if that is the case why not reimburse the 942 owners half of the investment or just swap it for free. The cost of the 622 for current 942 owners will be ~ $700. I know what you are saying about owning the equipment --- it means nothing. But the principle of the transaction makes look like 942 owners are being made the fools of this whole deal. Why not treat your best customer who supported you better. Why not give the 622 to current owners for free and throw 3 or 4 months of free programming to balance to the cost of the 942. That's how you treat your best customer who went out their way to buy a product that became obsolete in the blink of an eye.

I think the reason for the $99 charge is because DISH NETWORK COULD NOT HANDLE THE VOLUME IF THEY GAVE IT FOR FREE.

This way the only folks getting a 622 now are the one who will actually use it.

According to the Charlie Chat and CES comments, there are not too many 942 owners and therefore they could have made the transiction quite easy for 942 owners. That was their whole rationale (which did not make any sense to me at least) to go with the current lease plan. Any 942 owner will not swap for a 622 and not use it.

There is a cost there to pack, ship inventory etc the 922's I feel the $99 fee is fair still. :)

Dish will take back your 942 or 921, upgrade the faceplate, format the drive, update the firmware and send them up to Canada for ExpressVu. :)

See your helping the earth. :D (Yeah that it!) :D

I am currently leasing a 942 and feel the upgrade for $99 after 4/1 is quite fair for me. I was "lucky" to get the $250 lease deal so it is not too bad of a deal. I do think however that people that bought the 942 in the last few months are getting the shaft from Charlie. If you just bought this receiver for $600+ or whatever, you should be getting more credit towards the 622 as Dish new when they sold you the 942 it would be replaced soon. The fact of whether the 942 is now obsolete can be debated until hell freezes over but that fact is you can not activate it for the latest programming. This DOES confer some degree of obsolescence in my opinion. Charlie needs to step up and do the right thing and give 942 owners who purchased in the last few months more credit towards the 622!

Last edited:
dfergie said:
Jodie: I have a 510 and it records differently from my 942?… name base recording on 942 will adjust for time differences ( program extended) the 510 will not…that difference will go away when we roll out Name Based a little later in the Spring

Here is more news no one has talked about yet - they apparantly are still going to add NBR to the 50x series DVRs, and Dish on Demand on top of that. Not sure I would use the Dish on Demand but NBR would be great. Maybe the resale value of my 508 will go up some once that rolls out! :D

tawhite said:
I am currently leasing a 942 and feel the upgrade for $99 after 4/1 is quite fair for me. I was "lucky" to get the $250 lease deal so it is not too bad of a deal. I do think however that people that bought the 942 in the last few months are getting the shaft from Charlie. If you just bought this receiver for $600+ or whatever, you should be getting more credit towards the 622 as Dish new when they sold you the 942 it would be replaced soon. The fact of whether the 942 is now obsolete can be debated until hell freezes over but that fact is you can not activate it for the latest programming. This DOES confer some degree of obsolescence in my opinion. Charlie needs to step up and do the right thing and give 942 owners who purchased int he last few months more credit towards the 622!

I think the majority of 942 owners will agree with you (me included) about making a fair assessment of this whole situation for everyone.

I also own a 6000 receiver which I bought and I am not crying foul over it since I already got my $$$ worth for it and think that $49 is a steal for it. But the $942 has not been out long enough to make it worth to swap for lease equipment and give nothing in return for the $600 every owner shelled for it.

Scott Greczkowski said:

Scott, last month before the Charlie Chat, you talked about the potential upgrade plans, and you said you thought that 921/942 OWNERS who do the upgrade would have the monthly lease fee waived. Is that still the scenario? (I'm planning to wait for the April 1 rebate before upgrading...)

Stargazer said:
Will be migrated to 119? I thought it was going to be migrated to 110? So I assume that around the June timeframe Dish Network will start swapping out some markets from a SuperDish to a Dish1000? Or maybe they will just have an upgrade kit for the SuperDish to make it a Dish1000 using the same reflector and switch to save money.

That will only be necessary for current subs in SuperDish markets that want to upgrade to HD, the majority of current subs who are satisfied for the moment with SD will not need to do a thing to their SuperDish since it will already receive 110 and 119. Only those that want HD will need to do a dish upgrade of some kind to receive 129 or 61.5. I do agree however that a SuperDish could be modified in some way to receive 129, perhaps as simple as replacing the FSS LNB with a 3rd DBS one and adjusting the dish a little.

Last edited: