Tech Forum Recap

It's pretty simple. If you think the current deal Dish is offering on the 622 is fair OR you absolutely have to have the added HD channels and a HD DVR then take it, if not then don't.

After much thought I have come to the conclusion that the lease deal is sh*t, so I won't go for it, but each to their own. :)

NightRyder

Last edited:
RobertsD said:
If you pay the Dish Home Protection monthly fee of $5.99, then Dish will replace broken recievers for no cost to you.
I always thought it was illegal to demand "protection" money. Apparently E* has found a way around the blackmail laws.

Yeah, I'm on the $1.99/mo plan. Good investment (721 owner). I "assume" this rate will continue, even if it only covers my old equipment. I found it hard to believe I'm expected to pay for DHPP on a leased unit- until I thought about leased cars. Gotta pay insurance and for repairs on that leased car that someone else "owns."

Does ExpressVu have it's own satellite(s)? Or do they use Dish transponders, or just sell the same Dish signal and control reception via the boxes? Answers to these questions may give an idea how long MPEG-2 may exist in Canada (GREAT place to visit, BTW).

They have BEES in MONTANA????

KeithInDallas said:
There's an idea... I'll sell my 942 to some unsuspecting person who will not be able to activate it and let them take the hit... oh wait, my name's not Charley, so I don't think I'll try to screw someone else. I'll just stick with voicing my displeasure over the current policy. :(

Don't feel too guilty. Chances are the guy is a pirate or hacker anyway......

You don't think that Dishplayers stayed at such a high resale value for so long due to their high usability and bug free nature did you?

Although the value did crash once the supposed smart bomb proof receivers finally succumbed to an E* counterattack a few years back.....

navychop said:
Yeah, I'm on the $1.99/mo plan. Good investment (721 owner). I "assume" this rate will continue, even if it only covers my old equipment. I found it hard to believe I'm expected to pay for DHPP on a leased unit- until I thought about leased cars. Gotta pay insurance and for repairs on that leased car that someone else "owns."
QUOTE]

Unless for some reason you will be driving around your 622 that comparison and reasoning does not hold :) . Even new lease cars come with the manufacturer's warranty that covers repairs and most of the time the warranty is valid for your lease term (3-4 year.) Why not the same here.

If you upgrade, your protection price will also increase to $5.99 I believe. So that is another $4.00 extra per month you will be paying.

Last edited:
Indy said:
Better check the fine print and check your facts against what was stated on the tech chat. The warranty for leased equipment is ONE year. After the ONE year is up, YOU are responsible for repairs on the leased equipment. That is why they were pushing the DHP on the tech talk for ^6.95 per month as a extended warranty.

I know this is about as lame as it gets but, buyer or better yet may the lessee beware of his/her obligations after the warrant is up.
I do know that the 18 month commitment covers most problems except customer caused damage and "acts of God"....DHA seems to be very popular.....Plus the cost of bying the equipment can be prohibitive.....

BobMurdoch said:
Don't feel too guilty. Chances are the guy is a pirate or hacker anyway......

You don't think that Dishplayers stayed at such a high resale value for so long due to their high usability and bug free nature did you?

Although the value did crash once the supposed smart bomb proof receivers finally succumbed to an E* counterattack a few years back.....

Actually, I never considered the whole hacker thing because I know nothing about that and just don't think that way. As far as resale value, I really don't understand the whole ebay fascination either. Why people would bid on or buy some of the things there constantly surprises me. I know... "one man's junk, another's treasure." I may just be a little to literal in my thinking to ever understand! But I'm ok with that! :)

dishcomm said:
I do know that the 18 month commitment covers most problems except customer caused damage and "acts of God"....DHA seems to be very popular.....Plus the cost of bying the equipment can be prohibitive.....

This upgrade isn't DHA it's Dishing-It-Up and the rules are different.

NightRyder

I am one of the fortunate peopel thaqt purchased my 941 from Costco with its very liberal return policy. So I plan on leasing the 622 for $299 and returning my 941 it Costco for the full purchase price of about $450. Screw Dishes swap out plan

Bill

dfergie said:
Jodie: I have a 510 and it records differently from my 942?… name base recording on 942 will adjust for time differences ( program extended) the 510 will not…that difference will go away when we roll out Name Based a little later in the Spring.

DISH On Demand: Ava on 622 and 625
Will Roll out for DISH 508, 510 & 522 March or April… (undecided)

I only noticed one other comment on this. I guess very few of us still run a 50x. This statement brings up an interesting point, though. The 50x series, especially the 501 and 508 have a pretty small reserved buffer for DISH only use. The way I see it they will need to cut away from the user recording time in order to add VoD.

I guess the no free lunch thing is true. Am I wrong, or is NBR going to come with the cost of reduced recording time for our players?

jayn_j said:
I only noticed one other comment on this. I guess very few of us still run a 50x. This statement brings up an interesting point, though. The 50x series, especially the 501 and 508 have a pretty small reserved buffer for DISH only use. The way I see it they will need to cut away from the user recording time in order to add VoD.

I guess the no free lunch thing is true. Am I wrong, or is NBR going to come with the cost of reduced recording time for our players?

Same question I had. Seems like they'd have to take away at least 1/4 of the space to implement it (And they'd only get around 10-15 movies stored)

Definitely DON'T want it if that's the case :mad:

Seems like a bad deal for the 942 and 921 owners to me if it's true and as far as I have seen there is no reason for me to take the deal. The new channels they are adding don't mean diddle to me since I see now what UHD has to offer (blah) and I can get all my locals in HD via OTA so I'm lucky there.

I will hold off for a while until I am certain I can keep my owned unit as it would be nice to use in another room. After all the shet we have endured with these unit's I will be damed if I'm going to hand them something I own for the right to subscribe to their fiasco. If I had cable available I would be gone.:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts