Tech is on site - 1000.4 no 72.7

boomerang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2003
Michigan
He's a contractor but seems to be top notch. 110/119 and 61.5 wing have been replaced with a 1000.4. He's got a Sat Buddy and is locked on 72.7 both at the dish and before the separator in the house. Check switch will not see 72.7. He's done a hard reset several times.

I have only a single 722 in the household and the software is up to date. He's talking about bringing out a 722k tomorrow to replace my receiver. I will lose recordings.

Is there anything else that he could be overlooking?

Last edited:
Do a check switch again but with no satellites plugged into the inputs on the back of the box.

Once this is done put the cables back in again and do another checkswitch.

No go. I'm wondering if I should have saved after running the check switch with no cable attached?

He replaced some barrel connectors, did another hard reset and multiple check switches and was not too keen on the check switch with the cable disconnected. I did that after he left. His fix is to bring out a 722k tomorrow. He didn't have one on the truck. Sigh...

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "box". I'll take a stab at it, correct me if I'm off base.

Both Satellite Input 1 and 2 are identical.

Port 1 = 77
Port 2 = Conn
Port 3 = 61.5
Port 4 = X - there is no wing dish so OK?

The DP44 is no longer in the mix. Which I believe is the way it should be.

On the Installation Summary Details screen Port2 shows; DPP 1K.4 Good Connection, No Signal
It's the same for both Input 1 and Input 2

He tried two LNB's thinking that was it at first. He called back to the office and they told him that a box of dishes (deflectors?) had been dropped and creased. They thought they had sorted them all out but to check for creases. I watched him mount the dish and there was no damage. We both took a second look though.

Can you mount a 1000.2 arm on a 1000.4 dish or vice versa? There didn't appear to be a lot of size difference on the dishes. He had both on the truck not knowing what I'd need until he got here.

If he comes out tomorrow in the morning with a 722k and it fixes it, that's fine. But if it doesn't fix it, I'm guessing I will have lost all my timers and recordings if my original 722 goes back in the mix?

Seems strange that a new receiver would be the fix for this.

I appreciate the help.

If he comes out tomorrow w new box and it still doesn't work, keep your old box if you want to keep those recordings. Problem would be something else.

If possible run a temporary cable from the dish preferably or ground block. This would rule out any cabling issues. I seriously doubt los issue especially when you're getting 77 & 61.5. Sometimes arc changes are not with out issues. Like stated above save your switch test with no cable hooked to your receiver, unplug for a min or so and then retest with cable hooked back up. Good luck. Post back with results.

I ran check switch and saved and then ran again with no change. I had not seen your post stardust at that point. I did not unplug. Should I try it again?

Running a temporary is an impossibility. The dish is on a post way out in the yard. The same post my original 110/119 dish has been on for 10 years. He hooked his Sat Buddy up to the cable at the separator in the house and had a lock though.

I'm starting to think it's maybe LOS. I've got some screen captures from Dishpointer I'd like to show here but I don't know how to do that at these forums. They're a birdseye view of course and it may not be the best way to get the full point across. I felt it needed to be on the roof and he didn't want to go up there. The post is nestled in trees and it's hard for me to tell whether it's blocked by them with the skew on the dish and all. I'm watching programming on 61.5 with no issues right now and it seems to me that if 61.5 is coming in well, 72.7 should also. The trees would block 61.5 far more than 72.7.

I had the 110/119 in the yard on a pole and the 61.5 on the roof. Clear LOS with both. He insisted the 1000.4 would not work on the roof. I think he just didn't want to go up there.

I'm getting discouraged now.

Actually 72 is very close to 77, so if you're getting both 61.5 and 77 well, it's very unlikely to be a LOS issue. That's IMHO. OK, you did clear the switch matrix with no change. Hmmm. Sure sounds like a bad switch or dead LNB in that EA dish. No, wait. You said he got a lock with his Sat Buddy? Was that on the dish or back at the house? How long is the (presumably underground) cable? Maybe it's not getting sufficient current to run the switch properly. Does anybody know if the separator passes power from both tuners, or just one? Perhaps you can flip the separator over... Nah. How about replacing the separator or take it out altogether? Is there anything else between dish and receiver?

He got a lock at the dish. Later, while troubleshooting I suggested he try in the house at the separator. He got a lock there too.

Distance? Well, I had a dish 500 at 110/119 at that location for 10 years. It was technically past the limit with my original receiver but I don't even recall what model that was. It worked great. Worked great with the 721 I had before getting the 722. My understanding is that the newer receivers will work fine at longer distances. This 722 was working for the last year with that same dish. There was however, a DP44 in the mix with the power inserter or whatever it was.

Aren't these receivers capable of some diagnosis in that regard? Maybe not. The only thing between the dish and receiver is a ground block.

digiblur, I searched and found a thread by goaliebob about his 211. He has multiple receivers in the house and there was some discussion about the DP44 he had and whether he needed it or not. The opinions varied and I saw no resolution.

Okay, got the pics figured out. The first is the azimuth for the EA 1000.4 where it currently exists on the pole. The second is the azimuth for an EA 1000.4 where the existing 61.5 dish existed. I probably just muddied up the waters.

Attachments

• CurrentLoc.PNG
    CurrentLoc.PNG
    259.7 KB · Views: 173
  • Loc61.5.PNG
    Loc61.5.PNG
    253.9 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Well, I think we may have played this out as far as it's going to go. I've got one last question for anyone still interested. In looking at Dish Pointer, I may have discovered something. I remember him saying the word "Nahuel" when verifying his lock, which is the bird at 72.0 W - AMC6|Nahuel 1A. Dish Pointer shows a bird at 72.5, DirecTV 1R|Echostar 6 which I believe is what we are referring to as 72.7?

Is it even possible with a 1000.4 to lock on 61.5, Nahuel 1A and 77? Was he tweaking for the wrong bird?

I ran check switch and saved and then ran again with no change. I had not seen your post stardust at that point. I did not unplug. Should I try it again?

Running a temporary is an impossibility. The dish is on a post way out in the yard. The same post my original 110/119 dish has been on for 10 years.
He hooked his Sat Buddy up to the cable at the separator in the house and had a lock though.

I'm starting to think it's maybe LOS. I've got some screen captures from Dishpointer I'd like to show here but I don't know how to do that at these forums. They're a birdseye view of course and it may not be the best way to get the full point across. I felt it needed to be on the roof and he didn't want to go up there. The post is nestled in trees and it's hard for me to tell whether it's blocked by them with the skew on the dish and all. I'm watching programming on 61.5 with no issues right now and it seems to me that if 61.5 is coming in well, 72.7 should also. The trees would block 61.5 far more than 72.7.

I had the 110/119 in the yard on a pole and the 61.5 on the roof. Clear LOS with both. He insisted the 1000.4 would not work on the roof. I think he just didn't want to go up there.

I'm getting discouraged now.

On 72?
I know it's discouraging, but don't over look the little stuff. Do you have the cable going through a surge protector, if so bypass it. These can go bad. Also you mentioned the cable being in the ground for a long period of time. I would like to again stress the importance of ruling out cabling with a temp. When he comes back tomorrow ask if he can hook a temp cable to dish, let it lay on ground and go straight through door and lay in hall or whatever and go straight to receiver. Ruling out los it can only be 1 of 3 things. Cabling, receiver or lnb. This is the easiest way to come to a conclusion through the process of elimination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)