Tech is on site - 1000.4 no 72.7

Just a quick update for anyone interested. My 129 transponder numbers are low and varying. Sometimes widely, as much as 20 points. I've got several transponders that are not even green. We've got a light rain coming through and I'm losing signal. To be fair, there are strong storms West of us moving North.

Dish is sending another tech out tomorrow to install a 1000.4 on the roof if LOS is available. I called to express my concerns and inquire how long this work was covered under warranty. She suggested having someone come out right away to correct the issues instead of waiting. I called earlier this afternoon when it was bright and sunny. Looks like my concerns were probably valid.

if the signals are varying 20 points on the SAME transponder that is an issue. otherwise they will vary 20 points or more from transponder to transponder and that is normal. but again, you should post them.

What signals are you getting transponder 17 and up on 129. Post a few from 110 and 119 that are not spotbeams.

17 28
18 27
19 23
20 21
21 36
22 28
23 26
24 27
25 25
26 26
27 25
28 26
29 25
30 25
31 26
32 27

This was earlier before the rain. Right now, they're all at 0. We have heavy rain right now. Probably not the best time for doing this.

But,

11 43
16 63

16 57
11 50

Edit: The 129's were a copy and paste from excel. It was formatted properly until I actually posted it. They're all at 0 right now. Fixed them up.

Last edited:
if the signals are varying 20 points on the SAME transponder that is an issue. otherwise they will vary 20 points or more from transponder to transponder and that is normal. but again, you should post them.
I had several under clear conditions this afternoon, that were swinging (from memory) from 4 to 22 or so. Also, a lot of them took a long time to lock in and then were varying about 5 to 8 points. Some were nearly steady. A 2 to 4 point swing. This is from memory. I was more concerned with readings and tried to take the best I saw.

transponder 21 on 129 should be at least 60 as it is the highest strength transponder for the most part.
I have 13 right now under light to moderate rain. Again, I'm sure this is not the best time to do this. I've been a customer for 10 years and am accustomed to rain fade. This is not what I would typically experience. Since about 6 or so, I've been able to watch TV a total of about 40 minutes. Virtually everything I watch is on 129. I went through "The List" today.

A properly functioning EA 1000.4 (on the roof?) will probably fix this. I'll bet you have a branch or two in the way of 129. ;) Was the roof where your 61.5 dish used to be?

Those signals look very bad on 129. They do not look all that good on 110 or 119 either. Check out the 119 signal thread in my signature and compare a setup like yours to others.

Those signals look very bad on 129. They do not look all that good on 110 or 119 either. Check out the 119 signal thread in my signature and compare a setup like yours to others.
As has been said, what signature? It was raining light to moderate when I took those 100/119 readings with a big storm moving through West of us and moving South to North. Not defending, just sayin'.

Tech is out tomorrow remember. If it's the same guy, I'm canceling and calling Dish for a reschedule. I need somebody who's not afraid of heights.

I have a dish 1000.2 near Detroit and one near Higgins Lake, and I would imagine you have to be close to one of those locations. anyway on a clear day your 119 and 129 sats on transponder 21 should be at least 60 and close to 70 when tweaked right. not sure what the highest transponder on 110 is, but the highest should also be over 60.
also 129 can be a bitch to get line of sight, seems 1000.4 would have a better chance.

branches in the way. bummer
if the signal fluctuates like that on one transponder you can bet its the wind blowing branches in the way, then the signal goes back up when the wind gust moves the other way or stops.
could be interferance too, but i bet its just a tree.

I looked through all the responses to your problem and maybe I missed it, but after running the check switch did the tech download software to the receiver, or did he just keep trying to figure out why he wasn't picking up all three satellites? Assuming there are no los issues or damaged equipment, you may find that once the software is downloaded a check switch afterwards may reveal the missing satellite.

I looked through all the responses to your problem and maybe I missed it, but after running the check switch did the tech download software to the receiver, or did he just keep trying to figure out why he wasn't picking up all three satellites? Assuming there are no los issues or damaged equipment, you may find that once the software is downloaded a check switch afterwards may reveal the missing satellite.
He did several push button resets and although he never said as much he alluded that the receiver might receive a download by doing that. After he left that first evening, he said that the receiver may receive an update, usually within an hour after he had the work order closed. I ran a check switch early the second morning with the same results.

But really, his original 1000.4 install on my existing pole had LOS issues. He was fooling both of us by saying it wasn't so. If you look at that first screen dump I have in post 18, the LOS is flanked on one side by trees. On the ground, it was as obvious as it could be that there were limbs in the way. He insisted that the LOS was above the trees but the trees are within 30 ft. of the dish and tall. There was no way that setup was going to work.

The next day in desperation he throws a 1000.2 on that pole. He aligns it in a very light rain. He comes inside and right off tells me I will have problems with that setup. I already knew that because 129 is too low on the horizon where I'm at and there are trees in the way. This was proved out by really low transponder numbers and the rain yesterday evening caused my signal to drop off entirely. When he leaves he shows me where I should cement in a 4x4 post so he can mount a dish to it.

I have done my best to not berate this guy here. We're all human and have our weaknesses. His is heights. He got out of his van the first day and more or less stated that. He reiterated it plainly numerous times that day and the next. I need a tech out here that is willing to get up on the roof of my single story home. Hopefully that will be this afternoon.

I have a clear LOS from several locations on the roof for a 1000.4. One on the house and another on the attached garage. I can read a compass. I can estimate the angle based on the pitch of the roof. I'm not saying I'm 100% certain. I need a tech out here willing to get on the roof and tell me.

If it can't be done, then I'm back to the setup I had. 110/119 on the pole and a 61.5 wing on the roof (on the fascia actually, but that won't support a 1000.4). In that case it will be a damned shame because of the waste of time and money.

Can Dish Network receivers still pickup 105 FSS satellite

WWE on Demand

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)