"Technical Chats" useless - want me to "wait while they talk to engineering"

xfoneguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2008
Duvall, WA
So - ever since my Hopper 3 updated to U500 Thursday night/Friday morning, I'm having fits with my Hopper3. All recordings since then have been in the form of 6 to 15 segments or "pieces" - I haven't seen a single continuous recording.

Furthermore, I can no longer create timers - i get the "you've reached your limit" message (041) even though I typically have 199 timers and am now down to fewer than 170. And this is intermittent - SOMETIMES I can create a new timer.

I can't create a list of "Favorites Channels" (I lost mine when I tried doing a partial factory reset on someone's advice).

We never watch live TV, so right now, we have no DISH. Have you ever tried watching a 1 hour program that is in 15 pieces?? (It doesn't work).

So now, we are watching DVDs and Netflix while the "tech" wants to "take this to the engineers" - so in essence, we have NO Dish service right now - it's unusable to us.

I won't wait more than another day or two before I get online with DirecTV. I can't even find any DIRT people on here today. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

So - ever since my Hopper 3 updated to U500 Thursday night/Friday morning, I'm having fits with my Hopper3. All recordings since then have been in the form of 6 to 15 segments or "pieces" - I haven't seen a single continuous recording.

Furthermore, I can no longer create timers - i get the "you've reached your limit" message (041) even though I typically have 199 timers and am now down to fewer than 170. And this is intermittent - SOMETIMES I can create a new timer.

I can't create a list of "Favorites Channels" (I lost mine when I tried doing a partial factory reset on someone's advice).

We never watch live TV, so right now, we have no DISH. Have you ever tried watching a 1 hour program that is in 15 pieces?? (It doesn't work).

So now, we are watching DVDs and Netflix while the "tech" wants to "take this to the engineers" - so in essence, we have NO Dish service right now - it's unusable to us.

I won't wait more than another day or two before I get online with DirecTV. I can't even find any DIRT people on here today. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
Why can't DISH send you a new H3 overnite?

Reactions: xfoneguy
How soon can they send a tech out?
They don't want to send a tech out at all as it doesn't appear to them to be anything they can fix here. It just seems obvious to me that this H3 has bit the dust. But they don't want to replace it either. I'd be happy to let them send someone, but what can you do about recordings that are split into many pieces, really? It would be fine if we were home all the time, but we're not - that's why we all have "recorders". Right now, I don't have one.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You would think others would be reporting this if it were a software issue. It sounds like it bit the dust, probably just coincidental that it happened after the update.

I'd try again until you get a csr to send a tech, sounds like a hard drive failure to me.

You would thinks others would be reporting this if it were a software issue. It sounds like it bit the dust, probably just coincidental that it happened after the update.

I'd try again until you get a csr to send a tech, sounds like a hard drive failure to me.
Good point - yes, I think it could very well be just a coincidence that it happened after the update. I hadn't thought of the hard drive. Maybe I'll give support another shot as we can only watch live TV right now - and obviously only if we're here. That's the whole beauty of this system (when it works) - we can watch what we want, when we want. I seriously doubt that anyone here could honestly imagine going back to "the old way" of watching TV now. Thanks btw!

Try pausing and resuming live tv also, if that is an issue it's definitely the hard drive.
What should happen? I tried pausing for a bit and resumed - seemed to be ok. BTW - I tried another tech with the same answer - "we need to refer this to engineering...... we don't want to replace the Hopper if it's a software problem" I'm seriously considering buying my own as I still do like my Dish service in spite of....

Try pausing and resuming live tv also, if that is an issue it's definitely the hard drive.
Here is yet another interesting "symptom" that I just discovered........ the TV screen periodically will go black - as though signal has been lost or something. It is at those EXACT times, that the recording stops, and then begins a new "segment" when the screen comes back.... weird. At times though, when the screen goes dark, it doesn't "come back" but the Hopper eventually reboots itself.

Also, most of the time, when I try to create a new timer, I get message #041 (Timer Limits Reached....) even though I have fewer than 170 timers and the limit has been 199 for some time now. But not ALWAYS! Sometimes it will let me create a new timer! I tried deleting a few timers anyway, but when it doesn't want to let me create a new one, it just won't. I come back a little later, and I can.... is that schizophrenic or what? LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)