technicians in chicago

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rstokas

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 23, 2004
Anyone know of any good installers or techs in Chicago that could help me.

I can not get the 119 on my dish. A previous installer said that I had a signal on his meter and could not figure out why it did not work on the receiver! He was a dish network installer mostly however.

Last night I tried to hold my single lnb dish and got a signal on the 119 so I know I can get it.

I NEED someone to point my dish properly since I failed in trying it myself.

Anyone know of anyone that could help me? The dish is on my balcony and easily accessable so it should not be that hard of a job.

Does your STB have a setup step involving choice of multiswitch? I was banging my head against a wall trying to figure that out. Once I changed the multiswitch configuration, to "Simple Switch" I believe, I was fine. If your STB has a "setup wizard" or something similar, run it as if this were an initial install.

My dish has the built in multiswitch in the LNB's. I have the oval 3 LNB dish

Yes, but some STB's need to be told what kind of switch it is in order for it to work properly. Look under the dish pointing section of the menus. On some the switch selection is specifically marked, on others, you have to go through an "Advanced" menu selection to change your multiswitch selection.

thanks for your help.;

Is STB the receiver?

I do not see an advanced menu? do you really think this is what is wrong?

STB = Set Top Box (receiver)

That is what was wrong at one point when I was setting up my Phase III dish last month. Also, if your receiver is relatively old, it may not accommodate all three satellites. There should be a step in the dish pointing menus where you choose what type of dish you have. What type of STB are you trying to set up? Perhaps someone with that type of box will recognize your situation.

thanks so much for your help;

SAMSUNG HD

Model SIR-TS160

I really appreciate all your tips, it is driving me nuts I can not get 119!

I had the understanding that HD was on 110 and locals on 119. Thanks for the clarification.

What runs on 110?

koconnor said:
I had the understanding that HD was on 110 and locals on 119. Thanks for the clarification.

What runs on 110?
HD and some internationals. HD can end up on any of the three orbital slots, especially with NFL-ST starting this Sunday.

not to worry only 2 nfl hd on 119

thankfully only 2 of the channels in the 90's are on the 119. I checked my signal and get all but 2.
But does anybody know anyone that could come help me ?

Samsung does not have the TS160 manual on their website, but does have the TS360. I will assume they are similar. From page 42 of that manual, here is the procedure for Autodetection of dish type. This SHOULD also help address any multiswitch issues, but there appears to be no specific reference to multiswitches in the manual.
"Using Auto Detection to set the dish type
To function properly, your DIRECTV® HD Receiver needs to know what type of satellite
dish you are using.
You can specify the dish type using the instructions on page 31, or you can follow the
steps below to use the Auto Detection menu item to automatically set the dish type.
Before you can use Auto Detection to set the dish-type, the dish must be correctly aligned and the DIRECTV® HD Receiver must be receiving a strong signal from the satellite (that is, signal-lock must be established).
To check the satellite signal, use the signal meter — see page 30 for details.
1 Press the MENU button on your remote control.
2 Highlight the Setup menu item, then press the SELECT button.
3 Highlight the Installation menu item, then press the SELECT button.
4 Highlight the Set Dish menu item, then press the SELECT button.
5 Highlight the Auto Detection menu item, then press the SELECT button.
The Auto Detection screen appears. The DIRECTV® HD Receiver starts attempting to identify the dish type. You can stop the detection process by using the arrow buttons on your remote control to highlight the on-screen Cancel button, then press the SELECT button.
Once the dish type has been identified, a screen appears telling you what type of satellite dish you have.
6 To accept the detected dish type setting, use the arrow buttons on your remote control to highlight the on-screen BACK button, then press the SELECT button. The DIRECTV® HD Receiver will reboot."

TS360 manual - check to see if it is markedly different from the TS160.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200401/20040108080124609_SIR-TS360.pdf

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)