Trip

RabbitEars Webmaster
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Jun 21, 2008
Alexandria, VA, US
Hello, all:

I have considered getting into FTA on and off over the last few years, but haven't pulled the trigger on anything as of yet. Recently, however, I've come to know through the ham radio club an FTA fan who has done a setup at our club shack. Having seen it in action, I'm now once again strongly considering buying a receiver.

I'm looking very hard at the Technotrend S2-3600. My primary computer is a laptop, and I'm a very frequent user of TSReader for terrestrial signals, so compatibility with TSReader is a must for me. Is it compatible? Also, what are some opinions of the receive sensitivity and other factors I would need to take into account?

I'm also interested in a blind scan, which I would assume is done in software (though I appreciate a correction if I'm wrong). Does software support this? Or I suppose that technically, using TSReader and trying each transponder one-by-one would be the same as blind scanning, am I right?

If not the Technotrend, then would the DVBWorld 2104D meet my requirements?

I guess I just need enough information to get myself going. My friend has several FTA boxes but no experience with computer-based FTA receivers, so I find myself here asking the knowledgeable people here at SatelliteGuys. Your help is most appreciated.

Thanks, all! =)

- Trip

Hello, all:

I'm also interested in a blind scan, which I would assume is done in software (though I appreciate a correction if I'm wrong). Does software support this? Or I suppose that technically, using TSReader and trying each transponder one-by-one would be the same as blind scanning, am I right?

If not the Technotrend, then would the DVBWorld 2104D meet my requirements?

DVBWorld said last week that the blind scan drivers would be released "this week" so I would expect it to be released sometime this week.

Prof-Tuners said a few weeks ago that their blind scan drivers will be released in about a month.

Technotrend has not mentioned blind scan capabilities.

These drivers will enable the devices to do hardware blind scans.

Software blind scans usually try known symbol rates from previously used transponders,
so if there is a new feed using a different symbol rate it may not find it.
A hardware blind scan device will detect the new symbol rate and allow you to tune the transponder.

In general, if you can do something in hardware it is much faster than the same thing done by software.

I have a TT S2-3600. I would not recommend it. TSReader locks up on high SR DVB-S2 signals.

So what would someone recommend for DVB-S2 (and DVB-S) with TSReader in a USB form factor?

I also see the QBOX S2 and the Digiwave something or another on eBay when searching "USB S2." Are either of those better? I can't find information on TSReader compatibility.

- Trip

Last edited:
I've had the S2-3600 also, currently have the new Profs 7500, which is much superior. The 3600 runs very hot, the Profs 7500 runs quite cool. The Profs 7500 is a much superior product, I'm currently using DvbDream and DVBViewer with the 7500.
:)

Tsreader support is a problem . Driver support there is decidedly lacking . Transedit , that comes with DVBViewer is a Tsreader substitute, but I'd like my Tsreader to work with the 7500, too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts