Tecsun PL-880

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
A little birdie told me I’m getting a Tecsun PL-880 amateur radio for Christmas. I’ve been looking at this radio for several months! I really do want to get into amateur radio and am hoping by tinkering with this one.

Does anyone have this radio and or can give me some pointers on how to tune into the shortwave band?

I don't have that receiver but... It would not be considered an amateur radio, just a multi-band general coverage receiver.
If you are wanting to get into amateur radio though, go here and print that chart out.
Then you will know where to tune, to listen for amateur radio signals.
160, 80, 60, and 40 meters is LSB and the rest on HF is USB as normal practice.
You will also want to get you up some kind of long wire antenna for now. You will not be getting much on that little whip, unless you are just after your local FM broadcast. :D

Reactions: Neutron
Gotcha. Right now I just want to listen to amateur bands along with am/fm. This one does SSB which made me think I could listen to amateur with it.

Thank you for the link! Do you think this receiver can receive those amateur frequencies?

I figured as much with the whip antenna. Thanks to us living in an HOA I cannot install a tall antenna as needed but as dumb as this counts could I use a tv antenna or just a long wire to help?

40 meters is 7-7.3MHz
60 meters is 4.75-4.995Mhz
80 meters is 3.5-4Mhz
160 meters is 1.8-2Mhz

"Medium Wave" (where AM broadcast resides) is just below 160 meters.

The meter number is roughly equal to the wavelength (hence the unit of measure).

All of these frequencies are well below TV bands. Channel 2, below which most full-range TV antennas drop off precipitously, is centered at 57MHz that works out to about 5.26 meters).

There are ways of making short antennas behave longer (loading) and that's probably going to be part of your solution.

It does not have to be tall :) Just a long wire. There are many, many ways to put up a stealth long wire. In the attic, under the eves, etc. Do a google search and feel free to ask as many questions as you wish.

Yes, that should get all the HF bands. From 2200 meters to 10 meters. Too bad it does not at least cover 2 meters, you would hear a lot of local traffic there.
On that chart I gave you t he link to will give you the frequency ranges to put in if they are not already in the unit.

Thank you! So this radio won’t do the local stuff at 2 meters?

I’m hoping to get some stations across the country and even hopefully a few around the world.

There is a long wire that the previous owner strung under the eaves that isn’t connected to anything. I may see about using this for an external antenna; I would just need to make an end for it.

Does it matter that it’s insulated? Sorry, all new to this but excited to be getting into this!

No the insulation is not gonna hurt anything.
No looking at the specs on that receiver, it only goes up to the top of the FM broadcast band at 108 MHz.
The 2 meter ham band is 144-148 MHz.

Do you think I can listen to some good amateur radio with this receiver? I’ll hopefully get a better one once I get my license but this will be a start.

Sure! I mean I don't how good the radio is, but if it is up to its specs, you should be able to hear all kinds of hams all over the world! :)
Once you get your feet wet with this you could get you an SDR dongle and some free software and listen to more stuff and even your local 2M and 440. :)

Sorry for the repeated question! My memory hasn’t been there this week for some reason.

Thank you ..

So I did get this radio for Christmas and it’s awesome! Got the time station in on 10 MHz during the day in somewhat clear which was cool. I got a couple in from FL and TN during the day. I just tried after the sun went down and I think I got one from China in somewhat clear. If it wasn’t so cold outside I’d play around with it more.

That wire going around my house that I mentioned may not work. I took the lead and touched it to the whip antenna and it seemed to add more noise than helped.

Hook it took the ant port and not the whip. Trying to rub metal to metal will cause LOTS of noise. ;)

I’ll have to get a 3.5mm jack and find a way to connect the wire to it.

Thank you!! I’m hoping to find some more overseas stations and possibly some amateur radio as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts