Tegna dispute IS OVER!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It’s 8:00 on the east coast. Still have programming here.
It was weird because mine were still on until after 8:30. I thought maybe they had an extension or my 2 channels were ignoring their corporate overlords. I looked and all the articles said the channels were pulled at 8pm in all markets.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DirecTVFanSince2016
FYI, Directv is taking a hard stand, so the stations won't be back on quickly. They actually pitched today for Tegna to go a la carte at whatever price they wanted to charge or Directv negotiates with the national channel (ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX) and then the local channels get their cut from that.

• Sad
When do you think they will be back on then? Last time, it was 3 weeks.
This could be a market shifting moment. Directv will have to see what happens to their customer numbers without them. The last dispute for local channels was factored into a $5 increase for everyone. I don't think there is much appetite for customers to pay more money. I'm guessing it easily last into next year.

I'm honestly not sure they come back without you having to pay for them. Dish doesn't have locals for some markets, Spectrum like you said, etc. The cost is already near the max people are willing ro pay.

Without my monthly credit, i definitely think about doing something else.

I'm honestly not sure they come back without you having to pay for them.
We ARE paying for them! How else would we pay for them if they came back?
Dish doesn't have locals for some markets,
Like NO locals at all? Or are you referring to their ongoing disputes with Cox Media and Nexstar’s shell companies?

We ARE paying for them! How else would we pay for them if they came back?

Like NO locals at all? Or are you referring to their ongoing disputes with Cox Media and Nexstar’s shell companies?
It would be like paying for HBO, Starz, Showtime, or a sports package. Dish is still in those markets without some of the channels, so I guess Directv has done the analysis and it will cost them more customers if they raise the price versus dropping the channels in the affected markets. I hope it doesn't come to that but they want a huge increase and people don't want to pay it.

It would be like paying for HBO, Starz, Showtime, or a sports package.
I wouldn’t want to “pay” for locals if that were the case. If it were the case, I would just dump DirecTV and go to FuboTV. With those streaming providers, at least you pretty much always get your locals or at least just network content if the local isn’t available.

If DirecTV wants to put pressure on Tegna, they could allow clients in markets where the Tegna stations are located to receive the DirecTV national feed for the affected network.

If DirecTV wants to put pressure on Tegna, they could allow clients in markets where the Tegna stations are located to receive the DirecTV national feed for the affected network.
They are not allowed to offer the DNS feeds unless you are in a market without locals or you have a specialized account for a RV or an aircraft.

The only thing they can potentially offer is the neighboring significantly viewed affiliates in the outer counties, but if they didn't do it for the Nexstar/Mission/White Knight disputes where a lot more markets were affected, they're not going to do it for Tegna.

• Sad
Can they legally do it? I thought they had to have approval as the local stations own the rights in those markets. Unless there is some language in the contract between the station and the network about having to be on every provider, then Directv is legally required to remove the channels at the stations request.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

I believe this could lead to a Broadcast Channel Fee for DirecTV, there are the only ones left for the big Traditional Providers who do not have one.

But for now, for those who may not know-

First option is a antenna for CBS/NBC

Second option is Paramount+ with Showtime, you get CBS Live Feed ( usually your local station) , so everything including NFL, then CBS Shows will be next day since you cannot record CBS shows anymore, cost is $12 but that includes a lot more then just CBS, Paramount+ has become my favorite streaming service.

All the above is the same for NBC and Peacock, costs is $11, I personally believe Peacock sucks, but some may disagree with me.

Now FOX/ABC

Only option for the live feed stations is an antenna, so the only way to watch NFL Football on FOX is that way.

Hulu is next day only for both networks.

I have not recvd anything like this as of yet, it is a good idea though.
However, it invites people to go to streaming ...
IMG_0997.jpeg

• Haha
It would be like paying for HBO, Starz, Showtime, or a sports package. Dish is still in those markets without some of the channels, so I guess Directv has done the analysis and it will cost them more customers if they raise the price versus dropping the channels in the affected markets. I hope it doesn't come to that but they want a huge increase and people don't want to pay it.
You have to remember to remind people that this is a Money grab from the Network, Not D*.

D* isn't the one holding the stations and demanding more money.

You have to remember to remind people that this is a Money grab from the Network, Not D*.

I find it humerus around here RSN get all the blame for high bills but never points out that our local stations(networks) have jacked bills up 2800% in less than 20 years!

• Wow

For once I agree with you.

Tegna ( and all the others) are trying to make up the losses due to cord cutting.

It is basically a cash grab, DirecTV cannot go long without them , specially during the NFL Season, which is the only thing right now attracting ratings and advertising on Traditional Paid Live TV.

What this will cause is like I said, either a broadcast channel fee/increased price.

Then more people will leave, which hurts the stations and DirecTV, specially since there are so many alternatives, which were not there just 6 years ago.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.