TELE-Satellite Magazine Interview

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
This forum is great. I wonder if judging by the number of users of this forum, it's possible to extrapolate an approximate total number of FTA satellite users in the U.S.? Knowing this, we may be able to guess if there is any future of quality FTA receivers of good design. Is there critical mass to support new commercial FTA products?

This forum is great. I wonder if judging by the number of users of this forum, it's possible to extrapolate an approximate total number of FTA satellite users in the U.S.? Knowing this, we may be able to guess if there is any future of quality FTA receivers of good design. Is there critical mass to support new commercial FTA products?
I think the answer to that question will be seen this month as we see the MicroHD. IF -- IF the purchasing goes as well as this forum indicates it might, then Brian will be able to make I _C_I pay off and build more boxes for FTA. I am sure we will have the support - and with a company founded in integrity and all that entails, honest FTA can thrive.:)

:) We have seen that Brian is serious. GeoSat dishes (include 3ABN in this history), mini KU single and dual LNB's; C1 and C2's, extreme help for equipment he did not sell. I think we also must credit him with a great deal of the activity on 97W, for the FTA community. Therefore, my expectations are HIGH!:D This interview is another :D:D good sign.

Last edited:
I am looking for products designed, built and supported with the North American market in mind. The microHD is one example. Competition is good. It would be nice if there were more like it.
From the technical side,I would to say that many of the european dvb fta receiver ,will also receive most transponders in NA,all other missing issues ,can be done by receiver software thru producer or community.
Your OpenBox s9 (original) are also well known here and is categorized in the group, called "DXer receiver".
Blindscan is a must have for this categorie.

The MicroHd interests me,but cannot find a technical datasheet of it.
Apsk reception is nice and broadcasters use it more often ,but less as CCM signal.
More important is currently the reception of some MIS transponders.
So would be nice,MicroHD can do it,than this receiver have a good chance for big
sales in europe.

I am looking for products designed, built and supported with the North American market in mind. The microHD is one example. Competition is good. It would be nice if there were more like it.

In your opinion, what is different in the design for products built for distribution in North America vs Europe? Why do you suggest that products advertised in Tele-Satellite are not suitable for North America?

As I see it.... the market demands are only slightly different as the bulk of European equipment has been designed for reception of one or two higher powered fixed satellite positions and for transponders that rarely changed parameters.

NA equipment distributors are looking for equipment that has regional technical and warranty support, required certificates and competitive price points. Equipment produced for the European market usually do not invest in compliance and safety certificates required for NA and will only invest in feature development if their is a market to provide a return on their investment. When a single European country the size of one of the NA states or provinces buys more equipment that all of North America, manufacturers do not see the return on their investment.

Unfortunately the NA market offerings are not typically based on quality products (like Germany or the UK), but rather more following the Africa model of Cheap, Cheap and Cheaper. This is a result of a few factors.... a glut of inexpensive cast-off equipment from the imploded "Theft of Services" community and several distributors continuing to battle over who can provide cheap crap (promoted as platinum) at the lowest wholesale prices rather than offer quality tiers of products at reasonable varied prices.

To wrap up my excercise in free speech.... Any product that you see advertised in Tele-Satellite can be used in North America. Any NA satellite reseller could become a representative for any of these products, but they must insist that the product conforms to all applicable compliance / certifications, are provided with satellite / transponder lists for viewable satellites and are provided with warranty and technical support..... but this is no different than what most of these products have gone through in the process of being competitive in the multiple countries and regions throughout Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.

In your opinion, what is different in the design for products built for distribution in North America vs Europe? Why do you suggest that products advertised in Tele-Satellite are not suitable for North America?
I see many nice receivers in Tele-Satellite, but I never see these distributed in North America. Are they? By who? If they were appropriate for here, wouldn't they be selling here too? Or is the market too small? I thought this is why so many are chasing the microHD. It's for sale here, it will be supported from here, and it will do what people want. Name the competition for the microHD that is advertised in Tele-Satellite and being distributed here now. Let's see...Azbox...anything else?

Last edited:
Congratulations, I can remember the excitement of getting a page published in What Satellite here in the UK but this is a whole new level. Just downloaded Tele-Satellite to read on my tablet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)