Telemundo @79w on Amc2 or Amc5?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jogon64

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
Northern Mexico
Is Telemundo @79w beamed from Amc5 or Amc2? Lyngsat shows it coming in from tp 11904H 2170 at Amc2 and shows an empty space on Amc5 where it used to be on tp 11900H 2170.

Both signals come in very weak for me.

The reason for the Q is because I´m being asked to make an install about 100 miles south of my location. I´ve been looking for detailed footprint maps but have only come across some at satbeam where I have been comparing the footprints for both birds for the aproximate location of the install.

According to what I see I should be getting different readings at my location, but the truth is they come in equally weak. If I believe these maps then I´m out of luck for the signal from Amc2, but might be able to get a shot at Amc5. Satbeams doesn´t give me eirps either which I have always used as reference. Any help? Thanks.

I´ve got around 50% right now which is about as high as it will go in the evenings where I´m located (just south of the Texas border), but during the day it´s not watchable at certain hours..

They have really tightened the footprint around the lower 48. A lot of folks here in northern Mexico are interested in watching this channel so we´re trying like crazy to get it.

Does anybody know of detailed footprint maps with eirps?

jogon, the fleet operator is SES Americom, I tried finding it on their convoluded website but no luck. It's heavy on Flash animation, which doesn't work properly in 64-bit Firefox.

EDIT: I found it>still won't display big enough for me to read,maybe you can download a map of it:
Go to the SES Worldskies website:
http://www.ses-worldskies.com/world...mc-5/3-footprints/index.php?ca=&ol=&sat=AMC-5

ps: They claim to reach 99% of the light universe with their fleet of satellites.

Last edited:
Thanks Turbo. If I interpret ses worldskies maps then Amc2 is no go for me on a regular 30". I´d need a 5 footer which is out of the question. I just hope they don´t turn off the signal from Amc5. I understand Amc2 is a replacement or am I wrong? Will they put up a new sat altogether at 79W?

Is there a way of knowing which bird a signal is coming from in a particular orbital slot using your receiver?

Thanks.

jogon, that website also had a section for future launches, I saw it on the regular SES website (the option in the middle, of the three that pop-up when you go to their site ). I didn't take a look at it last night.

Is there a way of knowing which bird a signal is coming from in a particular orbital slot using your receiver?

Well, there's supposed to be a way.
Both of these sats have beacons. AMC-5 is supposed to be at 11702H and AMC-2 is supposed to be at 12198V. However since both sats are still supposed to be at the same position, it seems like you should be hearing both, and you wouldn't know which one was really transmitting. Out of curiosity, I just tried to see if I could hear them. Usually, I can detect them, although due to LO drift, they're never exactly where they should be, but usually I can see something either with my Broadlogic slow scan, or if that doesn't work, I can tune my ICOM-7000 receiver to those freqs. I can't see either of them right now with my broadlogic, however I'm getting a very weak signal right at the 12198 freq on my ICOM. I tried down at 11702 though and didn't hear anything. Anyway, I'm not sure if what I'm hearing today is really the beacon freq or not. If it is, I don't know why I'm not hearing the AMC5 beacon too.

But basically, I don't know any way to really tell which sat you're viewing either, as there is really nothing in the signal (NIT) that tells you. Even if info is there, all it says is the slot longitude, and it's usually bogus info anyway.

Thanks Turbo. If I interpret ses worldskies maps then Amc2 is no go for me on a regular 30". I´d need a 5 footer which is out of the question. I just hope they don´t turn off the signal from Amc5. I understand Amc2 is a replacement or am I wrong? Will they put up a new sat altogether at 79W?

Thanks.

Hey man, where are you located? i have friends over at Monterrey and at Tampico that can get it with a 90cm dish (SKY dish) an can get it with barely 30-40 Q during the night, in the day it's a no go, but a 1.2m dish it's almost a must, even when i've heard of people with over 60Q at those places with 9ocm dishes, but i am not sure of those readings.

By the way, none of those i know changed their transponder, it seems somebody just reported it to lyngsat with the "updated info".

Cheers

Mike

Not unless you had a monster satellite dish to be able to pick off each satellite individually. Most of us on this forum -- maybe all? -- have smaller dishes where both sats are seen at the same time. The only way you know for sure is by reading the FCC authorizations and ASSume the satellite operator is following them.

BTW, beacons do no good for determining which satellite one is receiving because they are active whether or not there is payload operation authorization.

BTW, beacons do no good for determining which satellite one is receiving because they are active whether or not there is payload operation authorization.

Yeah, I agree, assuming that the 2 sats are still in the same slot. I was expecting to hear both beacons yesterday, but could only hear one of them. Perhaps my >20yr old ICOM is losing sensitivity at the one freq. Ie, the 7000 that I used, is basically a 25-1000 MHz receiver which has a 1000 MHz oscillator button to turn it into a 1025-2000 MHz receiver, so when I was tuning the 12198 beacon, I was really tuning 448 (ie 1448-1000), but when tuning 11702, I was really tuning 952 MHz, and it's possible that the 7000 is less sensitive at 952 MHz, and I just couldn't hear the AMC5 beacon. But I thought that possibly the KEPS were wrong, and perhaps AMC5 had left the slot for some other location, or perhaps they turned down the power or something, but I guess there would be no need for that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts