Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Looks like Minneapolis is getting a Telemundo station in the near future
courtesy northpine.com

DTV America Corp. plans to launch a Telemundo affiliate in Minneapolis. DTV America is buying low-power station K43HB-D from Ventana Television for $125,000, and a graphic on DTV America's website is touting the Telemundo launch. K43HB-D transmits from the IDS Center with 15kW. It currently carries HSN2, having switched from the main version of Home Shopping Network after ION's KPXM-TV added HSN on channel 41.6. As a Telemundo affiliate, it'll join Media Vista's Univision affiliate WUMN-LD/17 and two religious TV subchannels in serving spanish-language audiences in the Twin Cities.

was posted elsewhere that Telemundo & Dr TV are on now in Minneapolis but are on channel 25 which is/was the TBN mux. That station (25) is owned by Regal Media
43 has been off the air for a couple weeks now
25-1 RF25 Telemundo
25-2 RF25 DrTV

Reactions: T134
When Equity Broadcasting owned the Univision affiliate (WUMN-LP) they had local commercials and a 30 minute local newscast. They even got the big cable companies (Charter, Comcast, Mediacom) to drop the national feed and add this one. Then Equity went belly up and sold it to a bank who resold it (and they dropped the news and most local commercials).
The station was (maybe still is) on big dish (C-Band) and thats how the cable companies got it clear (until earlier this year the station was still analog).

found out the owner of 25 (King Forward Inc) is a sister company to DTV America (same guy runs both) So we know how they got on 25, but still don't know why they would chose 25 over 43. (both stations were at 15k watts and the antenna height between the two is like 10 feet difference)

Got my answer as to why they are using 25 instead of 43

per northpine.com

Spanish-language network Telemundo is now available on Minneapolis broadcast TV for the first time: Former TBN affiliate KJNK-LD is now carrying Telemundo on channel 25.1, along with DrTV on 25.2. The sale follows King Forward, Inc.'s purchase of the station from Regal Media, which had purchased it from longtime operator TBN a few years ago. King Forward is a sister company to DTV America, which recently bought former Home Shopping Network station K43HB-D from Ventana Television. A website set up at telemundomn.com indicates "Telemundo Minnesota" is being operated by Santamaria Broadcasting, which also runs "La Raza" KMNV/1400 (St. Paul) and KMNQ/1470 (Brooklyn Park). Meanwhile, DTV America said in an FCC filing that channel 43, which has changed its callsign to KMBD-LD, is off the air while it prepares to construct a new facility. Telemundo is the second commercial spanish-language TV network to become available in Minneapolis; Univision has been available for nearly a decade on WUMN-LP, which recently began digital operations on channel 17

read that Telemundo is now in 1080i HD. When they launched it was 480i with black bars on top and bottom

read that Telemundo is now in 1080i HD. When they launched it was 480i with black bars on top and bottom

They are and it looks good. WUMN on RF17 has some major issues in their transmission. The video level is way too hot and has rolling hum bars. It looks like a bad analog signal picked off a crappy antenna and encoded into a digital signal. When they first converted to digital it was fine, now it's unwatchable.

WUMN on RF17 has some major issues in their transmission. The video level is way too hot and has rolling hum bars. It looks like a bad analog signal picked off a crappy antenna and encoded into a digital signal. When they first converted to digital it was fine, now it's unwatchable.
yeah the last time I saw it when I was in Minneapolis it looked like sh*t. I know the actual feed is on big dish (C-Band) and that was always clear. So who knows why it looks like a crappy analog picture. Hell it looked BETTER when they were analog :)

and a month + later now I see WUMN cranked the audio up full bore so it damn near blows you out of the water. Picture still looks like hell

For fun I sent an e-mail to the owner (based in Florida). Doubt anything will happen

They are and it looks good. WUMN on RF17 has some major issues in their transmission. The video level is way too hot and has rolling hum bars. It looks like a bad analog signal picked off a crappy antenna and encoded into a digital signal. When they first converted to digital it was fine, now it's unwatchable.

and a month + later now I see WUMN cranked the audio up full bore so it damn near blows you out of the water. Picture still looks like hell

For fun I sent an e-mail to the owner (based in Florida). Doubt anything will happen

well I don't know if it helped but reports say the picture is cleaned up and in 1080i. The audio isnt distorted