Telephone Line

donsmith

Original poster
Oct 10, 2010
North Mississippi
A friend of mine (really) just got Dish installed at his home. Has 2 dual receivers, part of the 4-Rooms package. He took one of his receivers from his home to his lake house where he stays most weekends.
We hooked it up to an extra dish he had and got fine reception - except all we can get is the infomercial / shopping and PPV channels along with NASA and a few other FTA type channels. An error message said he needed a phone line to avoid extra charges. Does the program guide download over the phone line? He swears it worked at his house where he only has a cellphone. Could new technology now "marry" his receivers to the LNB in his Dish to keep people from doing this?

Thanks, Don

A friend of mine (really) just got Dish installed at his home. Has 2 dual receivers, part of the 4-Rooms package. He took one of his receivers from his home to his lake house where he stays most weekends.
We hooked it up to an extra dish he had and got fine reception - except all we can get is the infomercial / shopping and PPV channels along with NASA and a few other FTA type channels. An error message said he needed a phone line to avoid extra charges. Does the program guide download over the phone line? He swears it worked at his house where he only has a cellphone. Could new technology now "marry" his receivers to the LNB in his Dish to keep people from doing this?
Don,

The Guide does not download via the telephone.

No, the receivers are not "married" to LNBs. I suspect that you are not accurately "aiming" at all of the sats you need.

Did you perform a Check Switch after aiming at the lake house?

I don't believe this is a dish aiming problem as I get good signal strength and I lock on OK on both 110 and 119. The program guide is where the problem is. The ONLY listings in it are the FTA channels, the home shopping/infomercial channels and the PPV channels. Nothing else is listed. So why am I not getting the full program guide?

I tried out the Dish receiver at my house also. I am on Direct, but I still have a Dish 500 satellite dish left over from the good old FTA days. I get good reception on it but the same program guide as on my friends dish.

Guess I will make a trip to his house in town and start there to see if I can get all the channels there. He has a receiver at home that he says works, just can't move it to his lake house.

problem

If you do not use the exact same dish at the cabin and the house you will have trouble. When the check switch is run it re members HOW it was hooked up, internal and external switches, lnb's, sat's and so on. Fix is to do a check switch with nothing hooked up the again with new dish to find the equipment. Now if both dishs are the same it have bad lnb's pointed wrong whatever if you get a this box is not authorized error may have been unplugged for to long. This can be a week or so. this would cause you to have to call dish and reactive the receiver not a big deal but a pain. If every thing on your end is golden as you have expressed, the unauthorized receiver is your problem. You may also say it is the same both being Dish 500, but some lnb's are dpp some dp some legacy and so on be sure. if it were me I would take the box home , reactive the box at his house. Leave it pulled in and working until you go up north and take it then. Again if all is as you say plug it in and it will work, I am betting a combo dish and unauthorized issue, two problems. JMO:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)