Television changing source. Looking for ideas on how to narrow down...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bfollowell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
Evansville, IN, USA
I have a very strange situation taking place with my new television and DirecTV setup. I say it's happening with the setup because we had DirecTV service with a Genie DVR installed at the same time that we got a brand-new Samsung UN46F6400 46-Inch television and I have no idea what is causing the problem.

I say we got these at the same time but I guess that isn't entirely true. We had the television for about a week before the DirecTV was hooked up. We never experienced any issues like this when Dish Network was hooked up or for about the first week that we had DirecTV.

The problem is that the television will change from the HDMI input that I have the satellite coming in on and will change to channel 3 of the built-in tuner, which has nothing coming in on it. The screen changes to snow and I get a message saying the television has experienced signal loss. It was really strange because I was watching a show on the DVR and it kept happening at the exact same spot on the show. I had to go to another TV that had a Genie-Mini hooked up and experienced no problems from there. However, it also happens at random times when no one even has a remote in their hands.

The DirectTV remote is programmed to control the television as well so it could be something about the television itself or its remote or my Genie remote. The problem happens a couple of times a day, maybe three or four if I'm watching a lot of television, but the instances are hours apart, making it very hard to troubleshoot.

I have no idea how to narrow the problem down to the root cause. Has anyone ever experienced anything even remotely like this? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

- Byron

It's odd that it does it by itself. If it was when you turned on the tv, I would guess it was a default setting, but that's not the case. Do you have anything connected to the antenna input on the tv?

Check a couple of things in your settings menu:

Menu -> Settings and Help -> Settings -> Display

Video: Native - Off
Resolutions: Try setting to 1080i only (remove the checks from the other boxes)

After that, use the RES button on the front of the box to set the resolution to 1080i and see if it works any better.

Nope, nor has there ever been. I've never even programmed the channels. I have my DirecTV Genie on HDMI1, a DVD player on HDMI2, and that's it.

I've finally started coming up with some Google searches for issues somewhat similar to mine. I'm thinking it may be some sort of conflict/issue with Samsung's Anynet+, their HDMI-CEC-based home entertainment networking functions. I'm going to try disabling it when I get home and see if that helps any.

- Byron

My friends TV does the same thing with D* but didn't with E* or C*. Nothing fixes it, you get used to it, he said. The HDMI anynet settings might work. It does for 1 time with him, but it resets after each use. My Samsung has never done this with D*. He is happy to know he's not the only one!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)