Telstar 12 at 15W Strong Signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
...11860h sr 45000 4/5 dvbs2 qpsk2 pilot on...11920h 45000 4/5 dvbs2 pilot on...12170h 45000 dvbs2 5/6 qpsk2 pilot on...12170v 45000 3/4 dvbs2...dish size 1.2 meter
Have you seen these recently? I used to get them a year ago, but I don't see any of these now even though other tp on this satellite are strong.

Added: Just discovered, each of these can be seen with S9 with strong signal quality, but not with microHD. Investigating.

Last edited:
did you said no 30 west I have the 30 west on Toronto and the dich are only 36 inch and signal at 84 90 quality 11884v 27500 2/3 strong and the 11972 h 27500 5/6 very stong

tanka, see attached footprints for 30W. Here in NS, signal strength from 30W is about 38 dBW or less. The footprint mostly just falls short of us. But in TO, signal strength for you is 45dBW or so. A 38dBW Ku signal requires about a 1.5m Ku dish to receive it. A 45dBW signal level requires about a 90cm dish. That's why you can merengue to Latin music, while I gotta do the Highland fling here listening to local music. How's that for a technical discussion?

1C Norte America_p.jpg1D Norte America.jpg

Pity poor Newfoundland!
Newfoundlanders better take up a new hobby.

Moteck, huh? Here I was thinking of upgrading to a Larryteck, or a Curlyteck. Right now I'm stuck with a Shempteck, which whinnies like a horse when it moves.
These comments are not helping me position my other dish as I try to find 83W, or 87W, or 95W, or I'll take anything from anywhere in the sky! I think I used all my luck up yesterday. I think it's the trees in my yard that are all against me.

Moteck, huh? Here I was thinking of upgrading to a Larryteck, or a Curlyteck. Right now I'm stuck with a Shempteck, which whinnies like a horse when it moves.
This reply clearly indicates evidence of too much RTV, or over exposure to unshielded microwave or cellular telephone radiation. Besides, I would never accept Shempteck. Curlytech was the original.

Can pick up 30w here in MB not too bad, just 6 degrees off the horizon. Was thinking of trying for 15W by setting up a dish on my tower maybe up 25' or so to minimize terrestrial interference. Doubt if it will work... maybe in certain conditions when the atmosphere bends the signals a bit such as tropo etc. 200-300 miles farther east would work but I don't have that much feedline :)-C.
Not worth the effort! I've heard that old analog used to propagate over the horizon, but digital may not make the trip.

Yes Curlytech was better...:D

For sure! Just locked on 8W four channels called Mega 1 ~ 4. 10960 V 5000 with solid DVB-S2 signals. This is a first for 8W.
Cyberham,
This is really good DX getting 8W, from your location. The satellite is located just off of the coast of West Africa.
You can use dishpointer with your home location in it and pull the map all the way to the minus sign and then check your most south Satellite to 8 west and you can see the center of your arch to the east most end of your arch. The equator end point for 8W is a good distant away.
mikelib

Considering my "due south" Ku satellite with linear transponders and a signal that's receivable here is actually 83W at an azimuth of 207 degrees, the included arc from this direction to 8W at azimuth 116 degrees is 91 degrees. This is why I badly needed a signal from 15W or 8W to align my dish and motor since previous to receiving 15W or 8W I had no satellite signal east of 83W. Your mentioned tool indicates distance to 8W is 40,016 km.

Added: Signal strength wise, anybody with an FTA dish from Alabama north to Michigan and everybody east of that line can easily receive 8W according to the satellite footprint shown here. The trick is being able to install a dish with sufficient access to the eastern horizon since even in New York City the elevation would be only 9 degrees.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to try for it, but I am pretty sure my horizon is blocked. How did you do it (I usually use USALS, but anything past around 27W is beyond the limit of my motor). I know the answer is: use DISEqC 1.2, but... did you enter a particular transponder on 15W and 8W to drive the motor to and just patiently keep selecting the "move east" button until you got signal? How long did it take to do that? It'd be easier for me to do this out at the dish, but I'd prefer to wait until it's a bit warmer (but then again, the leaves will probably start coming back by then, and I think my 30W sight will be gone, too!).

I first used USALS to get me in the right area. Since I'm further north than you, 15W is just barely within my USALS range for 15W but the accuracy of USALS in this range is not good as in the main portion of the arc. In your case, the best you can do is use USALS to go to the most easterly satellite from which you can receive a signal. Probably 30W.

USALS did not accurately point my dish to 15W, so I then manually bumped the dish using DiSEqC commands from the remote control. First going west for a while one bump at a time and pausing between each to check for signal level or signal quality. On the microHD, signal level appears first (45%) followed after as you get closer to the signal by signal quality. If you don't find anything, then start again from your reference and bump east in the same manner. I used MSNBC at 11709 V 3195 for the transponder to search for.

Another technique that allowed me to find 12.5W without using any transponder from that satellite was I calculated with my setup that there are about six (6) DiSEqC manual bumps to each degree of azimuth motor movement. I did this by counting the number of bumps to get from one known satellite to a satellite adjacent to it.

So starting from a known azimuth (e.g. satellite at 30W), you can bump the correct number of times to get to a new azimuth. In the example of searching for 12.5W, I bumped 20 times east of the correct azimuth for 15W. I then did a blind scan at that resulting azimuth and I almost fell off my chair when the scan actually caught a signal from 12.5W!

Thanks! This will be helpful :) I think I'm blocked from anything further east, but worth a try while it's still early spring.

T12 11774v 4800 dvbs2 pilot off 11860 h 45000 4/5 on 11920h 45000 4/5 dvbs2 on 12044h 45000 4/5 dvbs2 on 12170 h 45000 5/6 dvbs2 off all close good signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.