Telstar - 5 Question

vsat tech

Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
Any one know where I can go to get some answers about a drop in EIRP for T-5 over the panhandle of Texas? Loral no longer owns T5 and Intelsat has no information. Even Microspace is not very helpful. Any information will be appreciated

can anyone give me a hand on this? Maybe I am not in the right group? Starting to feel a little neglected...

I am sure that it is not a problem with the type of dish we are using in the area as we are using 2 different kinds with the same results. A 1.2m Channel Master and a .75 Elliptical dish. I work for a company called DTN and I am a Satellite tech at the headquarters in Omaha NE. We do have independent techs that we get to do out of town work for us (ie: installs, troubleshooting, re-points, and deinstalls) and it seems that every single tech that we get to perform work in the panhandle of Texas has a hard time tuning to T-5 with either dish. Upon investigating I found an EIRP footprint map on the internet that showed a drop in signal right in that area. I was wondering if anyone had ever heard if this unexplainable drop in signal in this area. Is there a source of strong EMI in the area that could cause a problem? I think that the Pantex Nuclear Weapons Plant is in the area, and could understand if they are running something there at the Weapons plant that would cause this to happen. I have contacted Microspace and they deny that there is a drop in EIRP there, I got the EIRP map off of the SBS Americom website. If this is too much detail or if I am just wasting my time here, please let me know and I will go and knock a little harder on some doors at microspace... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)