Temp spike on an HR24-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TDK1044

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I have the whole Home DVR set up with three HD DVRs. Recently, I've noticed that the fan on my HR24-100 was intermittently very noisy. It would get very noisy for about 10 minutes and then go quiet again. The box is in a well ventilated entertainment center and the internal temp of the device is typically between 106 and 109.

When I got home from work yesterday, the DVR was quiet. I checked the internal temp and it was 143 degrees! What? It's never been above 109. How does it jump to 143?

I decided to reboot it. The device went into a self imposed 'cooling down' mode. The screen message stated that 140 degrees was the max temp allowed at boot up, and that it would come up when it had reached a temp of 120 degrees. The device went through its cooling down cycle, reached 120 degrees, booted up and then continued to cool down and quickly went back to the usual 109 degrees. It remained at that temp for the rest of the night, and this morning was reading 106 degrees.

When the box was booting up yesterday, I called Directv to report these events. The CSR seemed totally unconcerned, and her view was that the device would sort itself out and that I should not worry about it.

Has anyone seen anything like this with a D* HD DVR? The CSR seemed to think that I was overreacting. My concern was what caused the jump in internal temperature? The DVR is sitting in a well ventilated entertainment center in an air conditioned room. Nothing outside the box has changed. So why the spike in temp?

The box seems fine today and is currently running at 106 degrees. My plan is to keep a close eye on the device going forward. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I HAVE seen this, but I KNOW why it happened in my case.
Mine (HR20-700) was up around 145* or so and the internal workings take over and will not turn on till the cooling down happens to somewhere around 120*...
That said, mine was in the entertainment center while traveling in south Texas and it was very hot at the time, fwiw, it's also happened in the extreme cold up north as well, just the opposite of course.

In BOTH cases the recvr has worked fine since then.

btw, my HR24 is currently at 113* this morning and will fluctuate from 109* to about 122*
The HR20-700 typically runs in the 116* to 127* range.

At 143 Degrees, my worry was the darn thing catching fire. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)