Temporarily mounting a C-Band dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeputyDan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Western Kansas (Hays)
I recently acquired another C-Band dish - an 8ft Paraclipse Hydro solid aluminum dish. The dish has a couple obvious dings in the outer lip. I conducted the 'string' test from several different locations around the dish. When strung directly over the worst of the dings the strings are separated by almost 3/8 in. Other locations string true. It seems to me any damage may be confined to the very edge of the dish. I decided to test the dishes actual performance but I didn't want to go to the trouble to plant a pole. I needed a temporary test platform.

After mulling it over for several days I stumbled onto the solution. I had an old 7.5 ft mesh dish complete with polar mount in my parts pile. The lightbulb came on. Anchor the dish to the ground and insert a short piece of 3in pipe in the polar mount and mount the Paraclipse on that. I replaced the actuator with a turnbuckle. I could plumb the pole by using the inclination and azimuth adjustments on the old mesh dish.

The temporary mount works although there is a little to much flex to the structure which allows a some movement in the Western Kansas wind. Nothing a few guy wires couldn't fix if I decide to use the temp mount for anything other than testing. I plan to pull the DMX741 LNBF off of my 10ft Unimesh and install it on the Paraclipse. The Paraclipse Hydro is a beautiful dish. I hope it still performs well enough to salvage.

Oh by the way. I didn't destroy a good 7.5 foot dish to make the temp mount. Notice the large dent in the rim courtesy of the aforementioned wind.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 333
where to start?

Wow, that's some Kansas engineering!
Great pix of the Hydro - not many of those show up.
I see what'cha mean about the ding in the donor dish rim.

So, what's with the brown color on the hydro?
Pommmiecj seemed to have a problem with his paint.
Pro96's dish looked better. (see his thread for a PDF manual)

Last edited:
Nice looking dish! Looks like it was worth salvaging. I love the engineering on the mount. I've seen pics of the Hydro but I'd never actually seen one. The one I have, I believe to be the Eclipse 8.5 foot it's solid as a rock. Paraclipse surely made some nice dishes. Blind

@ Anole: The brown coloration is a reflection of the setting sun. The owner had the dish installed in 1996 so it isn't that old as C-Band dishes go. He still had all of the original paperwork including the installation manual. I thought it was worth risking the $20.00 he was asking.

I hope to have the LNBF installed and tweaked this weekend. I'm hoping it will be a stellar performer on ku.

The success of the temporary mount has started me thinking: maybe I have room for another BUD (or maybe two) ... My neighbors already wonder what I'm up to. When they ask what I do with all of those dishes I tell them the government is spying on me so I'm just watching them back ;o) That will give them something to talk about at the coffee shop.

Dan

DD, you can always plant another pole for "testing' ,haha. I did, and then left a 7.5 on THAT pole, so now I need another test-pole!

Status
Please reply by conversation.