Temporary Distant Nets for Hurricane Victims?

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
Just wondering, since technically I can't receive a "grade B" (or any other) signal from a local station if their tower is in pieces on the ground, would Dish be willing to turn on distant nets temporarily for people in these situations?

[oops, when I chose the icon for the post it looked like a question mark not a thumbs-down, didn't have my glasses on]

Doubtful. The only way I can see this happening is if the proper local affiliates give the ok and there's no guarantee that will happen.

they gave tampa people the orlando channels last year when three out of the four stations in the area had to shut down. i would assume they would give you area the closest available city with permission of the local channels.

Well I will use the portable tv with rabbit-ears to see what becomes of our local stations, then call Dish and see what they can do after I get everything connected again.

By the way, to combat the boredom of just sitting around sweating, I will be chronicling the events of Dennis as I did during Ivan. Hopefully I will be able to put some interesting stuff on there.

http://dennis.pepper.net/

Cat 4 at 1am Eastern ...

The center doesn't expect a Cat 5 because they are so rare. Cat 4's are unheard of in July so they are not promising everything. It's going to be a hurricane until it is halfway through Alabama to Tennesee ...

Hide somewhere that won't flood.

They do expect it to hit EAST of Mobile. Hopefully you (and the bay) won't get hit too hard.

JL

My life will be much simpler if it goes east and my datacenter (St. Joseph Street, downtown Mobile) doesn't end up under 14 feet of sea water. Of course wherever it goes, somebody is going to be in a world of hurt.

Seems like somebody could come up with a way to weaken these things. I wonder what it would take to haul 25 billion tons of ice from the north pole into the gulf? I expect that would cool things down a bit.

Pepper said:
... I wonder what it would take to haul 25 billion tons of ice from the north pole into the gulf? I expect that would cool things down a bit.
Yeah - plus stop the Gulf Stream, and lead Europe into another ice age.

Hmmm. That solves two problems at once. :D :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)