Tennessee changes high school sports districts because of gas prices

jwfgeol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Looks like the economy has hit home with high school sports.

State sports board shuffles high schools

Cost of travel prompts classification changes that will begin in '09

FRANKLIN, Tenn. - Until recently, Ronnie Carter never imagined the price for a gallon of gas would impact Tennessee high school athletics.
Now it has in a big, big way.
The Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association Board of Control voted 5-4 on Wednesday afternoon to completely revamp its classification format beginning with the 2009 school year.
To cut steadily increasing travel costs among its member schools, the TSSAA adopted Plan 2 - or the "Z plan."
Basically, it means a move to three classifications and 16 districts in football, basketball, baseball, softball and volleyball.

"When you look at the economy, cost of gas, every school I know of being in a budget crunch," said Board of Control member Lynn Brown of Maryville, "this was the only plan to me that made any sense.
"We still don't know exactly what it's going to look like (because of changing enrollment figures), but, to me, it's ridiculous for somebody out of Knoxville to have to drive to Chattanooga or Kingsport for a regular-season game. We need to play as close to home as possible, and this plan does that."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)