Terk multiswitch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Abby

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2004
Ok I got my 2 dvr's today. I also got a 3x4 terk multiswitch. I have a oval dish with 2 LNB's. I started playing around with everything tonight and here is my first problem. I hooked up the switch, it has to inports one is 13 v and the other is 18 v. I hooked up one of my input coaxals to the 13 v. Then I hookedan out going to sat 1 port. I re-hooked up my rca IRD just to see if the switch worked. It all looked good,then I noticed that some of the channels had searching for sat and others worked fine. Hmmm why is that. So I hooked it back up without the switch and all channels were back. I want to hook up both of my dvr's tomorrow. What do I need to understand about the switch? As per no instructions came with it.

Seems like you understand them perfectly. I would get a different brand as Terk is quickly becoming the low end of the spectrum at a premium price. They lost my confidence with their antenna products. Check with Robert at VE or look at solid signal. Neither will help you with tomorrow. :(

If you are only going to activate 2 DVRs you shouldn't need a multiswitch. The oval dish (3 LNBs) has its own 4 outlet switch built in. You should be able to run 2 cables to each DVR and solve your problem. If i'm not understanding what you said correctly, please correct me (my Wife does it all the time).

Hope this helps and enjoy your DVRs!

Abby said:
Ok I got my 2 dvr's today. I also got a 3x4 terk multiswitch. I have a oval dish with 2 LNB's. I started playing around with everything tonight and here is my first problem. I hooked up the switch, it has to inports one is 13 v and the other is 18 v. I hooked up one of my input coaxals to the 13 v. Then I hookedan out going to sat 1 port. I re-hooked up my rca IRD just to see if the switch worked. It all looked good,then I noticed that some of the channels had searching for sat and others worked fine. Hmmm why is that. So I hooked it back up without the switch and all channels were back. I want to hook up both of my dvr's tomorrow. What do I need to understand about the switch? As per no instructions came with it.

It sounds like she has the dish that was the precursor to the phase-III dish. This dish is oval, has the 2 LNBs for 101 and 119 and has a spot in the center that you can buy the Sat-C kit to upgrade it to a Phase-III dish for 110.

Abby, welcome to Satelliteguys!!

he said with 2 LNBs ... the dish you are thinking of is the phase III and it is the 4 out dish. It just has the multiswitch built in.

Neutron is right.

The dish that Abby describes is the Para Todos or DirecTv plus dish.

dtv_plus.jpg

Requires two lines from the 119 and two lines from the 101 LNBs. Abby needs a 4x4 or 5x4 multiswitch to combine both LNBs and provide four ports for the two Tivos. Typically a 4x4 is mounted to the rear of the dish. if it is missing perhaps someone cannibalized it for something else.

CablerMN said:
Neutron is right.

The dish that Abby describes is the Para Todos or DirecTv plus dish.

dtv_plus.jpg

Requires two lines from the 119 and two lines from the 101 LNBs. Abby needs a 4x4 or 5x4 multiswitch to combine both LNBs and provide four ports for the two Tivos. Typically a 4x4 is mounted to the rear of the dish. if it is missing perhaps someone cannibalized it for something else.

Yes that is the dish I have. The dealer at the store said I needed a 3x4 switch would be fine. All I wanted to know was about my hook ups to the different voltages. When I hook up the switch and just leave my rca ird hooked up I am not getting all the channels. WHY??

978266344.jpg

2 inputs for 1 dual lnb for 1 Satellite and input for local off air antenna. Distributes to up to 4 receivers. A diplexer at each receiver will be required if using the off air input for local cahnnels. Can be installed indoors or out.

Ok I hooked up one of the dvr's. I connected one coaxal to input voltage 13 v. Then two coaxals from sat 1&2 into the back of the dvr. Started running the setup. This is what I am seeing.

Sat in 1 101 degrees signal accquired 95 peak 99 its the same for sat in 2.

when done with that screen and hitting next it goes to confirming setup screen. It runs through it and then I get a screen with info. It tells me A problem was detected.

It shows again 101 A right side not detected 119 b not detected.

Hmmm what does that mean. My signal strenth seems fine,did I do something wrong. Or should I just proceed.

You will need a 4X4 switch at the least to get this done right. You're having a problem with not being able to pick up the odd transponders. The 3X4 won't allow you to hook up all 4 lines from both LNBs. The odd transponders require 18v. That switch you have will only do 13v. A 4X4, 5X4, 4X8, or 5X8 switch will allow for both voltages to go through.

On my 3x4 switch there is a port for 18 v. But all my irds seems to be on 101 degrees. Does that matter. Or do I need to go buy a different switch.

You need to tell your IRDs that you have a dual LNB oval dish.

For a multiswitch to work properly though all ports on the LNBs need to be connected to it.

Well I hooked up both DVR's today. I would have to say it went easy. The 3x4 switch worked fine. Both dvr's are running fine as well so far. I will keep a good peek on both.

The only thing I happen to see today and wonder about is this. Even though I have a phase 2 dish with 2 LNB's. All my hook ups see to be on sat 101 degrees. Can't seem to get a thing on 119 degress. Is that normal. If 1 LNB is point right wouldn't there other just line up. Or is it a different setting pointing your dish altogether to use 119 degress. What if I add a 3rd LNB for HDTV. Does that too then need to be repointed???

Abby

More then one of us has told you that you need a 4x4 switch, not a 3x4 for receiving 119.

On the 4x4 you have two inputs (13 & 18 volt) for the 101 LNB and two inputs (13 & 18 volt) for the 119 LNB.

Forget what your dealer or your knowledge tells you and just follow the advice you have been given.

Yes I do have the 3x4 switch working fine for now. I will get a 4x4 and continue to learn. This is a great site with a lot of smart people full of info. I look forward to continue to expand my sat know how.

I just don't see how it's working properly when the 3X4 switch only allows for 3 inputs and 4 outputs when both your LNBs have a total of 4 cables that need to be hooked up to the multiswitch to work properly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)