Terre Haute "locals"

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Oh I think I see now...... The CW station is owned by Lin which also owns WTHI, and If I'm not mistaken it looks like WKEF is owned by Sinclair which also ownes WTWO and has an arrangement with WFXW. Makes a little more sense now. ....but I wish at least the ABC station was more local than that.

....but I wish at least the ABC station was more local than that.

It should be. Directv can import a neighboring local, not one because a station owner owns a station that is the same affiliation as a missing one regardless of location. I'd give them a day or so to work the kinks out.

it looks like WKEF is owned by Sinclair which also ownes WTWO and has an arrangement with WFXW. Makes a little more sense now

Well that STILL doesn't make sense, since you DO realize WICS/WICD are ALSO owned by Sinclair... ;)

BTW, DISH just turned on WICS (SD & HD) today for your market...

they must be on the same spotbeam so D* doesnt have to reuplink it. All they do is remap it for the Terre Haute locals

weird you got an imported CW....normally they give you CW50 from Washington DC (mapped to 14)

Recently, they've begun importing nearby CW HD in markets where no CW affiliate exists. Albany GA via Jacksonville FL, Biloxi MS via New Orleans are two recent examples.

A couple of questions folks. First, on the SD vs HD locals. If I read this correctly above, when we call DirecTV we are supposed to request the SD locals so we get the locals for free? If we ask for the HD locals they are going to charge us for it? If I understood correctly, even if we ask for the SD locals we are still going to get them in HD because that is all Terre Haute has? I do have a HD DVR BTW. Second question, probably a stupid one, if I do get the Terre Haute locals then I will immediately lose my Distant Network feeds correct? Last, why doesn't DirecTV just do a scan of their system and automatically add locals to ones market when they come available? Why have to call in and add them? Thanks everyone and have a good day.

Well that STILL doesn't make sense, since you DO realize WICS/WICD are ALSO owned by Sinclair... ;)

BTW, DISH just turned on WICS (SD & HD) today for your market...

Oh yea... I knew that. LOL! My mom lives in Effingham, and I noticed that.

A couple of questions folks. First, on the SD vs HD locals. If I read this correctly above, when we call DirecTV we are supposed to request the SD locals so we get the locals for free? If we ask for the HD locals they are going to charge us for it? If I understood correctly, even if we ask for the SD locals we are still going to get them in HD because that is all Terre Haute has? I do have a HD DVR BTW. Second question, probably a stupid one, if I do get the Terre Haute locals then I will immediately lose my Distant Network feeds correct? Last, why doesn't DirecTV just do a scan of their system and automatically add locals to ones market when they come available? Why have to call in and add them? Thanks everyone and have a good day.

I don't know the answer to the SD vs. HD. I do know that HD locals are all Terre Haute has. I automatically got them because I already had the NY locals that they were giving for free. If I were to call to add them, I would simply ask for locals and not specify HD or SD. I could be wrong on this one, but I think you are grandfathered in on the distants, and won't lose them (at least immediately. Some have lost those distants after a while.)

The guide has been changed...and I can confirm it is showing "ABC 22." from Dayton, Ohio.

Edit: Channel 19.

You still have WKEF this morning? Looking at DirecTV's site they list WKEF as the ABC for the Terre Haute DMA. There must be some rational technical explanation for using the Dayton out-of-market locals in TH over Evansville or C/S/D DMA stations.

Second question, probably a stupid one, if I do get the Terre Haute locals then I will immediately lose my Distant Network feeds correct?
not a stupid question....If you call to add Terre Haute locals you will lose the distants.

Last, why doesn't DirecTV just do a scan of their system and automatically add locals to ones market when they come available? Why have to call in and add them? Thanks everyone and have a good day
couple reasons
-some folks might have the distants via SD. Since Terre Haute locals are in HD the customer needs new equipment. D* needs to verify each customer has the right equipment.
-When locals are added after the fact a customer does not have to get locals. They can keep the grandfathered package and save $3. If they change packages then they do have to take locals. New customers have to take locals
-D* cannot really change your package like that (add locals) without your permission.

You can change it online too

How much does it cost to get the locals? Right now I am paying $3.50 each for CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC.

$3 a month for locals (all of them in your market...)
The reason you pay per network with distants is not everyone qualifies for all the nets

A couple of questions folks. First, on the SD vs HD locals. If I read this correctly above, when we call DirecTV we are supposed to request the SD locals so we get the locals for free? If we ask for the HD locals they are going to charge us for it? If I understood correctly, even if we ask for the SD locals we are still going to get them in HD because that is all Terre Haute has? I do have a HD DVR BTW.

All you have to do is ask for locals - period. And it costs $3/month extra, regardless if you have HD service or not.
Since TH is an MPEG4 local market only, they ONLY put your locals up in HD. (which is why you need ALL MPEG4 equipment to get your locals) If you already have HD equipment & are paying for HD access, you'll get your locals in HD. (note in some MPEG4 markets, NOT all locals are in HD, but they are still put up in MPEG4 SD) If you do NOT have HD service & equipment, they will provide a FREE upgrade to MPEG4 equipment (slimline dish & all MPEG4 receivers) but you are NOT required to pay for HD access to get your locals. What happens in this case, all national HD channels are hidden from your guide, & your HD box is locked down to 480p resolution - so you actually are still receiving your HD locals, but they are then forced downconverted to SD.

This is how it's done in ALL MPEG4 local markets, as well as all the local markets that require the 2nd 18" dish. (such as mine) Eventually the 72.5 bird will disappear, after D* eventually upgrades all these SD folks to MPEG4 receivers. (all new subs & movers in these markets always get MPEG4 replacements at their home)

And here's one for the what the heck is directv thinking department..

Ok so when they launched the TH locals I thought, OK since they don't give us the St Louis Locals (even though Dish Network does), or the Evansville locals, they'd give us the Terre Haute Locals..... WRONG! I checked the directv local channels lookup page and every single zip code in Clay county, IL comes back with... NO locals available! So basically directv you can go bankrupt as far as I'm concerned....

well I can give you 2 possible reasons
-the spotbeam doesnt reach that far
-something is whacked

I'm thinking #2...here is why. There's a site you can see if you get distants. If I use the PO address in your town or in Louisville, IL it says "invalid address" yet if I use the addy in Rinard which apparently is the next county they qualify for Evansville locals

Here is that site that shows the info. If locals are available it will note that
Enter Address

I thought Clay County was in the St. Louis DMA? I always assumed you folks were already getting those locals. Sounds like a crap deal.

And that's weird that the DNS tool just says "invalid" for all of the addresses. Strange things are afoot on this one.

Edit: LOL, D* says Clay City gets Evansville locals.

well I can give you 2 possible reasons
-the spotbeam doesnt reach that far
-something is whacked

I'm thinking #2...here is why. There's a site you can see if you get distants. If I use the PO address in your town or in Louisville, IL it says "invalid address" yet if I use the addy in Rinard which apparently is the next county they qualify for Evansville locals

Here is that site that shows the info. If locals are available it will note that
Enter Address

I agree something is whacked, every county around us has locals from different DMA's to the north it's the Central IL locals, to the east, the TH locals, to the South in Wayne county (the Rinard address you used, and Clay City's zip has addresses in wayne county too) it's the Evansville locals.

To E* were in the St Louis DMA, but to D* were in the Terre Haute DMA, BUT then this came in so I don't know what to think.. I know there's not as many D* as E subs cuz for one reason, you can't get any locals. and were so far from TH, Evansville, and STL that unless you have a mega antenna (most houses in town don't) you'll only get PBS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts