terrestrial antenna on JVC PNP?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

NoahsMyBro

Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Last October (2003) I installed a Kenwood Sirius bundle in my wife's van. I don't recall the model numbers, but the bundle included (all packaged separately, but then placed together in a larger box) an antenna, a tuner, a receiver, and an RF modulator/wired remote control, and a wireless remote. Obviously as the unit included an RF modulator, the system plugs in to the head unit's antenna input and overrides 88.3mhz when it's on, and the factory car antenna plugs in to the RF modulator, and passes through when the Kenwood is off.

The system is first generation and has an awkward display/controls, but other than that I love it. It performs flawlessly.

About 6 months ago I bought the JVC PNP Car Kit unit for my car. It's got a nicer display (aside form the orange color), but is larger than I'd like, and more to the point, has far worse reception.

The antenna on the Kenwood terminates in 2 connectors - one terrestrial and one satellite. The JVC, on the other hand, has an antenna about half the physical size, with only one connector, for the satellite connection on the receiver. The terrestrial input on the back of the JVC is left unconnected to anything, and the indicator I can navigate to in the menus shows no signal at all for the terrestrial line.

The JVC unit in my car gets noticeably worse reception than the Kenwood in my wife's van.

As you'd expect, installing the antenna was a major pain. I removed all of the interior trim on the driver side of my station wagon, routed the antenna wire carefully, and replaced all of the plastic trim pieces. It took a while, and wasn't a simple thing to do. I don't like the idea of doing it over again.

On the other hand, I also don't like the idea of having two antennas (antennae?) when I could only use one.

A) SHOULD this unit have an antenna with 2 connectors? Assuming yes, where could I get one/which should I get ? Any other alternatives?

B) I strongly prefer the RF modulator system in my wife's van over the FM broadcast of this system. What could I get that would allow me to run direct power to the JVC (eliminating the cigarrette lighter power connection), and an RF modulator into the head unit's antenna input?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,
Welcome to SG.us.
To answer A, the JVC should only have a single connection for the antenna, and the antenna should only have a single connector as well. The older units had separate connectors for sat and terrestrial signals, but the newer ones have a single connector. As far as reception for terrestrial, quite a few people have had best luck with the Terk SIR-MINI (I believe available at Best Buy and Crutchfield right now) for better terrestrial reception.
For B, you can get the SIRSWB which does what you describe. It sits inline with the FM antenna going into your HU. Or, there are other alternatives, such as a cassette adapter or even better, if your HU has an AUX input, I would use that.

The specific JVC unit I have is the KT-SR1000, with the KS-K6002 wireless car-kit.

The dock definitely has an input for a terrestrial antenna connection.

Are you saying that the antenna included with the kit is receiving both SAT and terrestrial signals, and simply sending both signals to the receiver through the one connector? If so, is there any way to 'fix' the lesser reception of my JVC, when compared with my wife's Kenwood? [never mind -- I didn't thoroughly read your message, and missed the bit about the Terk SIR-mini.]

I've got a luggage rack on my roof, and have tried re-postioning the magnetic antenna a few times already. It's in the best spot I've found so far.

Thanks,
Steve

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

DaJoker's right. I have the JVC PnP with the car kit. The antenna will pick up both SAT and TER signals. I can verify this on the antenna aiming screen. I have heard great reviews on the SIRSWB FM switcher. I installed a P.I.E. Aux input adapter for my factory radio for the best possible sound. Works very nice too.

I've experienced drops ever since I installed the unit. I didn't notice the antenna aiming screen until a few weeks ago, but it always shows absolutely zero signal for terrestrial.

If the antenna does pick up both signals, and if the receiver can see them both, and display the two separate signal strengths on-screen, I'm concluding my antenna is defective. Maybe I damaged the terrestrial signal wire while installing it?

Oh well. Considering I bought the entire kit for $50, I feel bad that I'm going to need to spend $50 just to replace the antenna, but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the info guys,
Steve

What city are you located in?

You may notice signal quality issues when near overhead trees and overpasses.

Well, I'm a little reluctant to post this, as it makes me look a little foolish, but in the interest of letting future amateur installers avoid problems, here goes....

This morning, on the way to work, I set the display to the antenna aiming screen and left it there for the whole trip. The signal strength on both terrestrial and satellite varied as I drove, with each going all the way from zero to full as I travelled. SO, I don't think anything is broken, I think I just get lesser recepetion in my car than in my wife's van.

The only thing I can think to try is possibly changing antennas, but I don't want to go to the trouble and expense if it won't gain me anything.

Do some antennas perform noticeably better or worse than others? Or will I be wasting my time and money?

(and to answer your question, I'm in northern NJ - Little Falls, West Orange, East Hanover, Livingston, Caldwell, etc...)

Like I mentioned, people have had great success with the Terk SIRMINI. It supposedly is able to filter out interference from other sources the best of any mobile antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)