Test for DirecTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ClemTiger0408

Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Indianapolis
I'm moving into an apartment complex that only allows dishes to be on the balcony of the unit. I think my new place is facing south-ish, but I'm not positive I will be able to see the right sky (in fact, I'm fairly positive it won't, unfortunately).

Is there a way that I can have DirecTV just drive out and take a look at my unit and see if I can get it without scheduling a whole install?

I need to know because apparently if I want U-Verse (my second choice) they have around a month waiting time to get the service.

Thanks.

I'm moving into an apartment complex that only allows dishes to be on the balcony of the unit. I think my new place is facing south-ish, but I'm not positive I will be able to see the right sky (in fact, I'm fairly positive it won't, unfortunately).

Is there a way that I can have DirecTV just drive out and take a look at my unit and see if I can get it without scheduling a whole install?

I need to know because apparently if I want U-Verse (my second choice) they have around a month waiting time to get the service.

Thanks.

I would suggest you go to the complex and walk around and see if other units with the same orientation (even if they're not in your building) have dishes. Both D* and E* orient to the same spot in the sky. :cool:

Thanks for that dishpointer site. I still am unsure.

Do any Dish experts mind putting in my address and trying to determine if I can get DirecTV or not?

My address is: 9956 west haven circle Indianapolis, IN 46280

This is an apartment complex, and my porch is basically exactly where the pin falls when you put in that address. I will be on the second floor. That building that is possibly in the way is 3 floors.

Obviously, I'd prefer to get DirecTV over Uverse, but I need to know soon because Uverse has a month-out policy.

Thanks!

I would say it depends on which building you are in as it looks like there are three at that address. The southern and middle one look like you should be okay, and the northern one looks like you wouldn't be able to. Which one are you in?

Ha. Unfortunately, I am in the northernmost one. The one that face the parking lot to the southeast. My porch faces the parking lot.

When I enter the address into the website, the pin falls pretty much exactly where my unit is and where my porch is.

Ha. Unfortunately, I am in the northernmost one. The one that face the parking lot to the southeast. My porch faces the parking lot.

When I enter the address into the website, the pin falls pretty much exactly where my unit is and where my porch is.

Why not call D* out and have them verify it for you ?

I think you are SOL. Sorry.

If you scale everything out, it looks like it should work. You've got to clear a roof peak that is about 25-35' higher at just under 100' away at a 32.8 degree angle so you should be able to see over it to receive 119W. The other satellites are even easier to see.

At 30 degrees the rise must be less than double the distance to the roof peak (sin 30=.5). You only need to clear it by a foot.

If you scale everything out, it looks like it should work. You've got to clear a roof peak that is about 25-35' higher at just under 100' away at a 32.8 degree angle so you should be able to see over it to receive 119W. The other satellites are even easier to see.

At 30 degrees the rise must be less than double the distance to the roof peak (sin 30=.5). You only need to clear it by a foot.

His apartment faces southeast.

His apartment faces southeast.
The porch faces SE, but 119W is roughly parallel to the wall. If the dish could be placed outside the wall face, it could work. Admittedly many condo associations don't want to see dishes sticking outside of the plane of the wall. If the OP is situated in the recessed part of the structure, there's no chance of getting DIRECTV with a personal dish.

This is where having a second satellite constellation comes in handy.

Why not call D* out and have them verify it for you ?

I tried this. They basically told me that all I can do is schedule an install and have them come out and check everything out.

Being that I am in a different state as the apartment, this is impossible.

And my fear is, I have them come out the day I move in, only to find out I can't get service. Then, I have to order uverse which will take at least a week to come out.

I know, a week is not a long time, but I really like TV :).

The porch faces SE, but 119W is roughly parallel to the wall. If the dish could be placed outside the wall face, it could work. Admittedly many condo associations don't want to see dishes sticking outside of the plane of the wall. If the OP is situated in the recessed part of the structure, there's no chance of getting DIRECTV with a personal dish.

This is where having a second satellite constellation comes in handy.

Right you are, I didn't look that closely at it. Plus, the Indianapolis locals are on 101, an easy LOS for the op, I think. ClemTiger0408, I think you are no longer SOL if you can mount the dish to your balcony.

I tried this. They basically told me that all I can do is schedule an install and have them come out and check everything out.

Being that I am in a different state as the apartment, this is impossible.

And my fear is, I have them come out the day I move in, only to find out I can't get service. Then, I have to order uverse which will take at least a week to come out.

I know, a week is not a long time, but I really like TV :).

Directv may take a week to do an install, also.

Yes, that is why I am trying to schedule things now. I'm moving in July 10.

So what about that 3 floor building that would be in the way. Do you think the elevation angle would be OK enough?

It could be. Being on the second floor, you should be okay. The dishpointer site will tell you the elevation you need for each satellite. That will give you a good idea.

Right you are, I didn't look that closely at it. Plus, the Indianapolis locals are on 101, an easy LOS for the op, I think. ClemTiger0408, I think you are no longer SOL if you can mount the dish to your balcony.

I am previously a Dish Network subscriber where I had to look at two satellites to get both regular programming and locals. Are you saying with Direc I would only have to look at the 101 satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts