Test Tool for FREE

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am considering using a Slingbox and the Android Sling app on my smartphone to save the trouble of hauling AC-powered devices up to the dish farm.

I would just buy a meter they are so much easier. But I understand you can't beat free. However its not fun getting stuck outside when rain comes down and kills your STB. (Yes I've done it outside then a neighbor comes over and next thing you know everything's wet boo)

Just came inside after re-installing my Ku dish on the motor. I used slingbox/android app. It worked (I am getting most sats) and it was convenient with only the smartphone outside, but next sunny day I need to go back out using my portable TV. With the TV and its immediate feedback without delay, it's much easier to touch up the dish and get it aimed perfectly.

Just came inside after re-installing my Ku dish on the motor. I used slingbox/android app. It worked (I am getting most sats) and it was convenient with only the smartphone outside, but next sunny day I need to go back out using my portable TV. With the TV and its immediate feedback without delay, it's much easier to touch up the dish and get it aimed perfectly.

What was the delay? (10 secs)

Using slingbox/android app, think about signal path. Receiver to slingbox then to router and through wifi to PC to VNC app through wifi again to smartphone. Each device adds a little delay. Plus my wifi is weak to dish area about 200 feet from house.

When i tried i think it was about 10 secs just could not recall. (Encoding from slingbox)

Golly, all those cheap TV's. I could have bought many for what my meter cost. It will be delivered on Tuesday. Not much use now. Snowing so hard I'd get lost going to the dishes.:(
$&##*(&^ Snow!
RT

Golly, all those cheap TV's. I could have bought many for what my meter cost. It will be delivered on Tuesday. Not much use now. Snowing so hard I'd get lost going to the dishes.:(
$&##*(&^ Snow!
RT

Meters work in snow :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't realize there would be that much of a delay with the Slingbox. Ten seconds is unacceptable. I wonder if there is a faster method (security camera DVR)?

Measured delay for my system described in Post #25 is 6 seconds. So every time you push the dish a little, you must wait for at least 6 seconds. For the stronger tps, I find with a local TV connected that I can push the dish very very slowly but continuously in azimuth and still find an already scanned in channel by using the microHD 10-bar tuning meter and then stop pushing immediately. Even for a non-scanned in new satellite, if pushing very slowly with local TV connected, you can usually see a quick blip on the SQ reading as you cross the correct azimuth and stop immediately for a final touchup. A local TV or local sat meter is the way to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.