Status
Please reply by conversation.

cparker

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 8, 2007
Sanborn, NY
Currently an E* sub but moving to a new house and thinking about D* at the new place. I just have a couple questions. Apologies in advance if the questions are kinda elementary and I'm not trolling. I am seriously considering switching, but I don't really know anything much about D* installs.

Do I need 2 cables to each receiver location? I currently have just one pulled, but I still have stuff open and could pull a second if need be. I just prefer a single wire.

OTA: Do I need to also get the AM21 OTA receiver? We get locals via satellite but we also get them OTA as we often record many things at one. I want to be able to record at least 2 satellite programs and one OTA. Is this possible?

Would I need an AM21 for each receiver? (I will have 2 HD DVR receivers, one in living room and one in bedroom)

Would I also need to buy the internet connection kits? I'll have ethernet at each location. Wasn't planning to run phones to each as well. Do I need a phone line at each one?

Do I need 2 cables to each receiver location? I currently have just one pulled, but I still have stuff open and could pull a second if need be. I just prefer a single wire.
Only for DVR connections will you need 2 cables. This is also becoming a moot point as they just launched SWM which allows the supported receivers to use a single wire. Take a look at a few of the SWM threads for more details and be prepared to pay for it if you're not in a target market.

OTA: Do I need to also get the AM21 OTA receiver? We get locals via satellite but we also get them OTA as we often record many things at one. I want to be able to record at least 2 satellite programs and one OTA. Is this possible?
Each DVR can record 2 items at a time. If you want to record OTA, yes, you will need the AM21. If you are happy (and lucky enought to have them) with receiving the D* HD Locals feed, you don't need the AM21.

Would I need an AM21 for each receiver? (I will have 2 HD DVR receivers, one in living room and one in bedroom)
Yes, the AM21 attaches via a USB uplink to each compatable receiver. If you get the Hx-20 the tuner is built in.

Would I also need to buy the internet connection kits? I'll have ethernet at each location. Wasn't planning to run phones to each as well. Do I need a phone line at each one?
Ethernet to your units is all you need if you want to use internet features such as Video On Demand or media sharing. Phone connections are only required if you want to purchase Pay Per View using your remote.

Hope this info helps!

Currently an E* sub but moving to a new house and thinking about D* at the new place. I just have a couple questions. Apologies in advance if the questions are kinda elementary and I'm not trolling. I am seriously considering switching, but I don't really know anything much about D* installs.

Just to add to the above post, you can't bank on getting a SWMline dish, but can request it. It is typically only installed if you have 5 or more tuners (2 DVR's and 1 receiver).

One reason I have phone lines connected to my Dvr's is if you have caller ID service with your phone company, the name and number will display on your tv.

Ok... so I'd need to buy the second HD DVR, 2 of the AM21, 2 ethernet kits, and the single wire multiswitch. This is getting expensive to start up.

If I go with the 2 HD DVRs will I be able to record on the living room one and then watch it in the bedroom? I remember seeing my son's girlfriend accessing things like that from one unit to another on TiVo and..... wasn't sure if the D* DVRs could also do that.

I need some features to sell the wife on switching from E*, y'know what I mean?

I'm trying to ballpark this on D*'s web site and so far I'm at just under $350 startup costs and that's without the pair of AM21 tuners or the single wire multiswitch. I've also been reading about the AAA discount and the referral discount and .... I think I'm getting confused. :)

Oh.... wait... I can do this on ONE dish from D* instead of the TWO we need now from E*, right? That might be a big deal. And juddging from the other D* dishes I see in the neighborhood around here I'm assuming a more or less southwest azimuth...

If I go to dishpointer what satellite would I tell it in order to get elevation? I have a couple of pine trees that I don't THINK will be an issue, but naturally I want to check. 14132 zip code.

Sorry for all the questions. The more I look into this the more interesting it becomes.

Ok... so I'd need to buy the second HD DVR, 2 of the AM21, 2 ethernet kits, and the single wire multiswitch. This is getting expensive to start up.

You won't need any ethernet kits if you already have wire at those locations--only a cat 5/6 cable to the back of the HDDVR.

Good luck!

Oh.... so the ethernet kits are just for folks that don't have access to wired ethernet? They're wireless?

The network kits that are sold by D* are Powerline Ethernet. They connect from a router/switch to an adapter that plugs directly into a wall outlet and then from another wall outlet device to the D* IRD or whatever device you choose.

I need some features to sell the wife on switching from E*, y'know what I mean?

Your best bet is to call the AAA number located in This Thread I picked up quite a few discounts by educating myself in what promotions are available from competitors like E* and Cable.

Oh.... wait... I can do this on ONE dish from D* instead of the TWO we need now from E*, right? That might be a big deal. And juddging from the other D* dishes I see in the neighborhood around here I'm assuming a more or less southwest azimuth...

If I go to dishpointer what satellite would I tell it in order to get elevation? I have a couple of pine trees that I don't THINK will be an issue, but naturally I want to check. 14132 zip code.

Sorry, I'm not in front of my IRD, but I believe you point to the 101 to set up and the tweak on another, i think 103c. The disn will need to be able to see the 99, 101, 103 at a minimum for HD and SD reception. Depending on where your locals are, you may need to be able to see the 119 or 110 as well.

Good luck working with your wife. Mine gave in extremely quickly once I showed her the difference from cable to D*. Switching satellite carriers is tough, unless you can prove to her it's cheaper in the long run and only uses the one dish.

Regarding the wife convincing part: The difference between cable and D* would not be an issue. Switching from cable to satellite in the first place was an easy sell. She hates Time-Warner here. Right now from E* in our current house we have the AT250 with HD (Turbo gold I think... they keep changing the names) plus HBO and Cinemax and locals, for one HD DVR and an SD DVR in the bedroom. All for $75 a month. So the D* install would provide an HD DVR in the bedroom instead of just an SD one, AND it would mean one dish instead of 2. But I have some more work to do in researching the discounts because teh startup costs are just too high without discounts and the monthly charge looks to be about $10 higher with D*.

That's just preliminary though, and I know I have some more reading to do. If all I can do is make them equal, she probably won't go for the change. I'll get the "Why do you want to change things that work?". So I have to make it better than E*.

I know, I know..... but wife doesn't see this as anything more than TV. "Just make the TV work" means... make sure she can watch what SHE wants. :)

And I still have to get a small distribution amp for the OTA and then terminate all of my ethernet runs into the patch panel. They're terminated in the rooms but not in the basement at the wiring "closet".

Just a question on the HDDVRs. There was mention that you can record two shows at the same time - can you record a show while watching a show with the Direct TV HDDVRs?

Thanks!

That's a great feature. I am currently a DISH subscriber, with the dual receiver (522). But it feeds two TVs, and if I am recording a show, I only have one tuner free to watch something else. It's limiting!

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this question, but I remember reading some post previoulsy that the DirectTV DVRs were not as user-friendly as the the DISH DVRs. Does anyone have experience with both and can render an opinion? I'm thinking specifically of the HD DVR for DirectTV.

Thanks!

endwell,

Go on the D* web site and run through their interactive app regarding the remote. You can see the guide grid and how to record shows, etc. It looks fine. I don't see where it would be an issue at all. And I'm saying this as a current E* sub just so you know. This is one of those things that I think are very much personal taste and what you're used to. It's a little different from the E* way of doing things, but I don't think that makes it much (if any) less user friendly. I guess it depends on the user. :)

Looks like it operates the receiver just fine. Looks like the receiver capabilities are not all that different from what you're used to. I don't think the D* receivers will record 3 shows at once, but I don't do that real often.

Now if I could record on ONE DVR and watch that recorded show from the OTHER TV location (a la TiVo) .... THAT would be awesome. :)

Just a question on the HDDVRs. There was mention that you can record two shows at the same time - can you record a show while watching a show with the Direct TV HDDVRs?

Thanks!

Question for ScoBuck (forgot to ask this in my original post):
If you are recording one show and watching another, can they both be in HD, or does one have to be SD?

Thanks!

Regarding the wife convincing part: The difference between cable and D* would not be an issue. Switching from cable to satellite in the first place was an easy sell. She hates Time-Warner here.
I know, I know..... but wife doesn't see this as anything more than TV. "Just make the TV work" means... make sure she can watch what SHE wants. :)

Well you can see why I am switching, by my signature line. Hmmm..is your wife a sports fan?

How about D* gives you Sabres Home Games in HD....E* don't.

How about D* gives you Channel 7 in Buffalo in HD....E* don't.

How about D* gives you the YES Network and Yankees...E* don't.

It was easy to get my wife to switch, because she is a hockey fan and not a Sabres Fan I might add; but she complains more than I do about the over compressed Buffalo Sabres games on MSG-SD.

Well you can see why I am switching, by my signature line. Hmmm..is your wife a sports fan?

How about D* gives you Sabres Home Games in HD....E* don't.

How about D* gives you Channel 7 in Buffalo in HD....E* don't.

How about D* gives you the YES Network and Yankees...E* don't.

It was easy to get my wife to switch, because she is a hockey fan and not a Sabres Fan I might add; but she complains more than I do about the over compressed Buffalo Sabres games on MSG-SD.

Enjoy! I've watched both Rangers games this year in HD on MSG and the picture is great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)