Texas Rangers Declare Bankruptcy. A-Rod Contract the Reason?

The statement was clearly only to show that the former owner of the Rangers has a history of running things into the ground (I could of also brought up the countless business's said person ran into the ground as well) To show that Ranger management is what brought them to file bankruptcy, because they have a history of poor owners.

Those who solely blame the A-Rod situation forget that this is norm for the Rangers ball club. While A-Rod may of been the final nail in the coffin, the wood was being put together for it 2 decades ago.

If people can not separate political idealouge, in a sports discussion well thats not my fault. I was simply talking from a management perspective and apologize if it was taken beyond that by some people who cant be mature enough to handle a simple conversation. So My apologies.

Problem is when he was part of it they didn't run it to the ground. And they also didn't file bankruptcy back then either.

A-Rod* is not alone. After him:

The Rangers' next biggest creditor is former Rangers pitcher Kevin Millwood, now playing for the Baltimore Orioles, who is owed nearly $13 million.

The lineup of players owed money by the Rangers also includes their current third baseman, Michael Young, who is waiting for $3.9 million.

Other current or former pro players include Vicente Padilla ($1.7 million), Mickey Tettleton ($1.4 million) and Mark McLemore ($970,000).

A-Rod takes a hit: Texas Rangers file for bankruptcy, could cost Yankees' Alex Rodriguez $25 million

Problem is when he was part of it they didn't run it to the ground. And they also didn't file bankruptcy back then either.

You are correct in that he got while the getting was good, but the writing was on the wall.. The Rangers were failing while he was manager. It was not until he left that the rangers made a play off game (93? 94? I think). The team was bleeding money back then under the poor leadership which forced them to sell the team cheaply. Sure it was a little more then they paid for it, but way under value. Specially when you include the new Ball Park that was being paid for by the public funds.

Here is ANOTHER guy, screwing up a perfectly good A-Rod bashing thread with MORE common sense to this conversation....:rolleyes:;):up

I do not understand why anyone would "blame" A-rod. He is only a player, and like ANY ONE OF US here would try to get the highest contract offered to him. If the Rangers could not afford the contract they should not of offered him the contract. Personal Responsibility.

I do not understand why anyone would "blame" A-rod. He is only a player, and like ANY ONE OF US here would try to get the highest contract offered to him. If the Rangers could not afford the contract they should not of offered him the contract. Personal Responsibility.

THIS is why I will just about ALWAYS side with the players. Like you stated, if it were YOU or I, we would be trying do the exact same thing A-Rod.

I'm having fun at his expense. And believe me , Arod can afford it.

Also, adding to the lunacy of the Rangers' contract offer: Who the hell were they bidding against, and why did they go so high??

Seattle and Atlanta were the other known finalists. The Braves did not make an offer, one senior baseball official said of the condition of anonymity, saying that it pushed Boras to name a price. The amount of the Mariners' offer was unclear.

Bora$ was full of crap even back in 2000. I wonder if he said this with a straight face:

"Alex made an owner decision," said Boras, who called Hicks "someone he could communicate with, someone who could put him in position to achieve his goals as a baseball player."

CNNSI.com - MLB Baseball - A-Rod signs $252 million deal with Rangers - Thursday December 14, 2000 01:58 AM

political...I use that same line (offtopic/political) when mods have to go through and clean a thread because posts were reported

Is this the first time a baseball team has filed for bankruptcy?

no. qucik google search shows a couple teams did
Bankrupt Franchise

The last Major League Baseball bankruptcy occurred in March 1970 when the Seattle Pilots went broke, said Jim Gates, librarian at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. The Pilots were bailed out by Bud Selig, the current MLB commissioner, and became the Milwaukee Brewers.

Bankruptcy touched another MLB team in 1993, when the Baltimore Orioles were sold for a then-record $173 million in a court auction brought on by owner Eli Jacobs’s personal bankruptcy filing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)