THANKS to local installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jbirdbuc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Hello,

Wanted to post about a recent bad experience with direct tv service. For about 1-2 months my signal is pixelated or is lost. I thought it was a tree, did some trimming still did not fix it--finally decided to call direct tv. They told me someone would be here last thursday between 1-5pm. No one showed or called. I called Friday and they gave me a partial credit (I was being charged $50 for service call) and tried to get a technician out that day, technician call late friday and apologized said he never got the call. Asked me if I would be home sat morning, told him yes--he said he would be there between 8-10am, he never showed up or called (I did not record his phone number...)

I was beginning to wonder if direct tv service was ever going to show up. So I called my local installer that installed the system in Feb 06. Talked to the owner and he explained that everything goes through direct tv, etc. I then explained to him what was happening and I knew that he charged $75 service charge. I told him I would gladly pay it because direct had wanted to charge $50. He apologized for everything and said for the $75 service call he would make it right, swap parts if needed and not charge for parts. He came out the very next day and said it was off a little bit (probably wind) but also moved the dish to avoid ANY trees or obstructions in the future. I now have 90++ on all signal strengths--I gladly paid the man $75. The extra $25 got the job done right and I did not have to wait forever on direct.

I called retention dept, cancelled all service orders and told them I had wanted sunday ticket but explained my troubles. Here is the deal I got:

Sunday ticket for $180 (waved first payment at $229)
$15 off bill for 6 months ($90)
free showtime/starz for 3 months

Probably not the best deal, but I am happy. I will also use my local installer for all service in the future. Sometimes you get what you pay for, sorry to hear local guys don't get to service as much for direct anymore.

jbirdbuc said:
Hello,

So I called my local installer that installed the system in Feb 06.

So you called the guy who did your original install to come fix it for $75:confused:

grydlok said:
So you called the guy who did your original install to come fix it for $75:confused:

Thats right ...He was suppose to "not" charge for a service call if it was
an install that was at fault 'Wind included" as install related prob.

If you had roofers come out and messed with the dish while they
replaced your roof and never could get signal back...then he could charge you 75$

But if you are happy with service now, then good for you :up

Wow. This kind of thing is random, but torturous to the homeowner.
It appears that the the original installer thought the site he chose was OK. Obviously, it was not. There should have been no charge for the original installation company to fix the install, provided it was within a few months of new connect. Insist that point with DTV regarding these things. THE DEAL YOU GOT IS BECAUSE DTV KNOWS YOU GOT SCREWED AND OFFERED THE COMFORT DISCOUNT. How the hell is your circumstance your fault?!! ...The wind does not affect DTV dishes unless the installer failed to tighten the two bolts in the back, or placed it in some wind tunnel location, such as the peak of a roof adjacent to a farm field. Any retailer gets charged back the money they made if you cancel within a certain time frame. Calling DTV right away should make them alert the retailer before they get boned about your case. The retailer should have fixed this, if checked before about six months.

Anyway, your complaint is rare; DTV installers and retailers are checked hardcore by DirecTV before being allowed to be a retailer. All DTV installers must be SBCA certified. I'm sorry about your inconvenience. If I knew about your situation, I would have helped you along the way. Maybe someone else will read this and learn from your experience. -Tom

By the way "scooby2", you say "cheap asses", I bet you are some single guy with no real budget who thinks he knows it all. Kiss my ass. People with families and budgets order and keep cable services. Ten bucks you're a hack. Who said anything about HD?!

...Didn't mean to get vulgar, but I have installed THOUSANDS of customers with DSS, With the billing pads to prove it. I helped hundreds of customers MONTHLY over the phone, at one of the midwest's largest retailers-CAN PROVE IT...
Yeah, I still think you're a punk, "scooby".

Last edited:
TommyTDFVC said:
By the way "scooby2", you say "cheap asses", I bet you are some single guy with no real budget who thinks he knows it all. Kiss my ass. People with families and budgets order and keep cable services. Ten bucks you're a hack. Who said anything about HD?!

...Didn't mean to get vulgar, but I have installed THOUSANDS of customers with DSS, With the billing pads to prove it. I helped hundreds of customers MONTHLY over the phone, at one of the midwest's largest retailers-CAN PROVE IT...

Hate to tell you this, but, that scooby line is grydloks signature, not a post in this thread. :)

TommyTDFVC said:
Wow. This kind of thing is random, but torturous to the homeowner.
It appears that the the original installer thought the site he chose was OK. Obviously, it was not. There should have been no charge for the original installation company to fix the install, provided it was within a few months of new connect. Insist that point with DTV regarding these things. THE DEAL YOU GOT IS BECAUSE DTV KNOWS YOU GOT SCREWED AND OFFERED THE COMFORT DISCOUNT. How the hell is your circumstance your fault?!! ...The wind does not affect DTV dishes unless the installer failed to tighten the two bolts in the back, or placed it in some wind tunnel location, such as the peak of a roof adjacent to a farm field. Any retailer gets charged back the money they made if you cancel within a certain time frame. Calling DTV right away should make them alert the retailer before they get boned about your case. The retailer should have fixed this, if checked before about six months.

Anyway, your complaint is rare; DTV installers and retailers are checked hardcore by DirecTV before being allowed to be a retailer. All DTV installers must be SBCA certified. I'm sorry about your inconvenience. If I knew about your situation, I would have helped you along the way. Maybe someone else will read this and learn from your experience. -Tom

Boy I guess I had that one comming:smug

stevo/65 said:
Thats right ...He was suppose to "not" charge for a service call if it was
an install that was at fault 'Wind included" as install related prob.

If you had roofers come out and messed with the dish while they
replaced your roof and never could get signal back...then he could charge you 75$

But if you are happy with service now, then good for you :up

You know I thought that was strange, It should have been let me take a look at it for free.

grydlok said:
You know I thought that was strange, It should have been let me take a look at it for free.

You know I agree about the $75 charge. I think he should have done it for free, but there are some trees that were close to it (remember I trimmed some branches...)the tree may have caused the damage--the dish was off just a little bit, so who knows. I may have pushed the issue of service if he just moved it slightly but I agreed for him to move the dish on the roof. Also, he came out AFTER hours the next day to fix. Remember direct was charging $50 and 3 days of waiting and no one showed up. I was pissed to say the least. I know direct knocked the price down to $30, but I had no idea if anyone was going to show up and they had pushed my service call to two weeks out. I wanted it fixed asap.

I will say this the installer told me ahead of time how much it would cost, he encouraged me to get the service plan, he also encouraged me to keep calling direct tv. My house has alot of trees and we have lots of storms in the spring/summer, so anything is possible to have happened. I think the problem is that direct tv subs out service and doesn't allow the installers to comeback and fix.

I knew the cost upfront and agreed to pay it, so if its my fault so be it, but it got fixed. And again he came after hours.

Congratulations jbirdbuc!!! You know, there are just too many whinners in the world and on this Forum, that really don't have a thing to gripe about, but you stood up like a Man, and admitted that you knew up front, what the deal was!!!

What a great witness you are, to what is real!!! My hats off to you for that!!!

Again Congratulations, for being honest and "NOT WHINNING"..... RONTGLMAO, at the rest of the "World of Whinners", because they just couldn't get you to "Whine" with them...!!!

jbirdbuc said:
You know I agree about the $75 charge. I think he should have done it for free, but there are some trees that were close to it (remember I trimmed some branches...)the tree may have caused the damage--the dish was off just a little bit, so who knows. I may have pushed the issue of service if he just moved it slightly but I agreed for him to move the dish on the roof. Also, he came out AFTER hours the next day to fix. Remember direct was charging $50 and 3 days of waiting and no one showed up. I was pissed to say the least. I know direct knocked the price down to $30, but I had no idea if anyone was going to show up and they had pushed my service call to two weeks out. I wanted it fixed asap.

I will say this the installer told me ahead of time how much it would cost, he encouraged me to get the service plan, he also encouraged me to keep calling direct tv. My house has alot of trees and we have lots of storms in the spring/summer, so anything is possible to have happened. I think the problem is that direct tv subs out service and doesn't allow the installers to comeback and fix.

I knew the cost upfront and agreed to pay it, so if its my fault so be it, but it got fixed. And again he came after hours.

As long as you are happy with service then good for you :D
You got problem solved asap.
You would have gone thru alot of headaches if you waited for D*
to fix :eek:

Doctor Bob said:
Congratulations jbirdbuc!!! You know, there are just too many whinners in the world and on this Forum, that really don't have a thing to gripe about, but you stood up like a Man, and admitted that you knew up front, what the deal was!!!

What a great witness you are, to what is real!!! My hats off to you for that!!!

Again Congratulations, for being honest and "NOT WHINNING"..... RONTGLMAO, at the rest of the "World of Whinners", because they just couldn't get you to "Whine" with them...!!!

Sometimes you make me wonder if you have a screw loose
and there are times you actually make sense
but the above quote you are not making any sense "to me"
the guy knew he should have had a service call at no charge
but paid to get fix anyways ....and yes it should have been
at no charge , retailers like your self know this ;)
"NOT WHINNING"..... what are you talking about ?
Who is WHINNING..?....You :eek: RONTGLMAO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)