The 2010 PGA Championship: August 12-15

I noticed how the media is going ga-ga over Tiger's round today. Just a little perspective: it's only one round and he is only tied for 24th on the leaderboard. Let's see if he can string together a couple decent rounds before going crazy. Anyway, a lot of good scores but no great scores. I get the feeling this one is going down to the wire with a dozen players still competing for the Championship come Sunday afternoon. We shall see.

I just finished watching the days delayed action. What a great golf course this Whistling Straits is...I cannot say that enough. The 17th and 18th holes are masterpieces. Anyway, here is the leaderboard: (Phil finished his round at -2 and Tiger is -1 after 6)

1 Matt Kuchar -8 F
2 Nick Watney -7 F
T3 Jason Dufner -5 F
T3 Bryce Molder -5 F
T3 Dustin Johnson -5 F
T3 Seung Yul Noh -5 F
T3 Rory McIlroy -5 F
T3 Zach Johnson -5 F
T3 Simon Khan -5 F

The Americans are doing well on this links style golf course with a Scottish feel - eleven (11) of the Top 17 hail from the U.S. The morning's weather is clear and sunny north of Milwaukee. However, there is are still a number of players out there trying to complete their 2nd round. I sure hope everyone gets in 54-holes prior to sunset so we can focus on the final 18-holes tomorrow.

Anyway, it should be a "good one" out there today.

Second round being finished now. Obviously, before the fog, the tee off for the 3rd round was to be 9 CT, with TNT coming on the air at 10 CT, when enough groups were on the course to justify.

The fog all changed that. Serious action on the course from 7 CT.

TNT is showing? The 15th time over of its standard fare of police worshiper reruns.
DirecTV special channels? Dark.
Golf Channel? Prohibited from showing live footage, just some news.

TNT will still come on the air at 10 CT, as scheduled. Just in time to see a few groups finish and then fill as they repair for the 3rd round.

Idiots.

Phil just tee'd off on the 10th and is at -2 for the tournament (tied for 27th) while Tiger, is -3 and tied for 21st, is getting to tee off his 3rd round shortly. Both players have some work to do in order to catch the leaders. We shall see. Offhand, I am expecting McIlroy to post a good score today.

2nd Round Leaders
1 Matt Kuchar -8 F -3 67 69
2 Nick Watney -7 F -4 69 68
T3 Jim Furyk -6 F -4 70 68
T3 J.B. Holmes -6 F -6 72 66
T5 Jason Dufner -5 F -6 73 66
T5 Bryce Molder -5 F -5 72 67
T5 Dustin Johnson -5 F -4 71 68
T5 Seung Yul Noh -5 F -1 68 71
T5 Rory McIlroy -5 F -4 71 68
T5 Zach Johnson -5 F -2 69 70
T5 Simon Khan -5 F -2 69 70

Source: PGA.com

This has got to be the youngest leaderboard in PGA Tournament history...

Nick Watney (29) -13
Dustin Johnson (26) -10
Rory McIlroy (21) -10
Jason Day (22) -9
Martin Kaymer (22) -9
Wenchong Liang (22) -9

Watney bogied the 18th hole, but it is still his tournament to win or lose with a 3-stroke lead going into the final round. Woods is tied for 31st at -3 and Michelson tied for 48th place at -1. Both players are no longer competing for the title. Other than the Ryder Cup, I wonder if Tiger will call it quits for the season?

Other than the Ryder Cup, I wonder if Tiger will call it quits for the season?

No.

He has to compete in the "playoffs" which start in two weeks, unless he claims an injury. Now he could just "phone in" the first week and miss the cut and shut it down. But he has to be at the first week. He, BTW, is 109th in points.

Then comes the Ryder Cup.

After that, most good tour players "quit". The official tour then turns to the "Fall Series" of lesser events where the middling players try to get to the 125th on the money list level and keep their card. But then comes the "silly season" of made for TV events and unsanctioned "invitationals" in far off lands. Because the official tour is strict in its policy of paying no appearance money, the top golfers, and particularly Woods, have made more money from showing up in China or Dubai and such than they do week to week.

TNT has been providing a lot of Tiger and Phil coverage this morning...although both are out 8+ shots out of the lead. Anyway, I predict Nick Watney will win if he doesn't self-destruct. Otherwise, my money is on McIlroy. The agerage age of the six leaders is just shy of 26...so it should be interesting to see how they fare under extreme pressue.

It's unfortunate that Dustin Johnson was assessed a 2-stroke penalty...it look like nothing more than a path and not a sand hazard. Anyway, big win by the German Martin Kaymer. I thought Bubba Watson was going to win after he nailed that birdie on the 16th (1st playoff hole), but it wasn't to be. He should have went with a much safer shot on the 18th.

Bunkergate...

What exacrly happened to Johnson?
In a nutshell, he drove his ball well-right of the 18th fairway and into the gallery. The crowd game him just enough room to swing and he grounded his club on what appeared to be nothing more than a sandy/grassy matted down area the crown had been standing; he grounded his club when addressing the ball not realizing this area was a sand-trap (it sure didn't look like one). Anyway, he hit a decent shot over the green and managed to scramble and join a three-way playoff. The problem is there are literally something like 1300 bunkers on the course and the club rule basically says anything with sand is a hazard and Mr. Johnson was assessed a two-stoke penalty for grounding his club. You've got to see the video...because it certainily didn't look like a bunder. However, the rule was briefed and provided to all golfers prior to the tournament.

Johnson Admits Grounding Club: Bunkergate at the PGA Championship | Bleacher Report

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)