The 39 HD channel mark has been reached!

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Ilya said:
Perhaps the can't, even if they wanted to. The channels that you named are all low-budget channels. My guess is that, all of them combined cost VOOM less than what INHD is asking for.
Gives you some measure of just what the exclusives are worth doesnt it? No other service seems to be clamoring to carry them. But really you have to weigh into the equation of the increased overall bandwidth and PQ such a trade would bring. 3 HD channels at 12 mbps each would mean raising the average bandwidth 1 mbps over the remaining 36 HD channels and more detail on all of the channels. I wouldnt be so quick to compare costs when I have absolutely no data on how much it costs to produce those exclusives Ilya. Your guess is based on conjecture without any supporting data.

1080iBeVuMin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 29, 2004
Santa Rosa, CA
IMHO, if Voom trades their exclusives for INHD "me too" channels, they will reduce their uniqueness, reduce the variety of provider choices out there, and frankly reduce the reasons to go with Voom.

Secondly, the level of budget does not equate to the level of quality. Look at all the high budget flop films out there.

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
jbtcajun said:
inhd1,2 what's on these channels?
If it is sports orientated at all you can keep them.
I watch no sports as I never was a spectator; I am a doer.
Want bandwidth? Give up ESPN and the like.
since your such a doer, go look it up

r.jones1116

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 7, 2004
Goose Creek, SC
jbtcajun said:
inhd1,2 what's on these channels?
If it is sports orientated at all you can keep them.
I watch no sports as I never was a spectator; I am a doer.
Want bandwidth? Give up ESPN and the like.

Not much at all. I was a HD beta tester for Comcast. InHD 1 & 2 were 2 of the 5 channels offered. During the 2 months that I had it, I had the opportunity to see Full Metal Jacket probably 20 times. So is InHD compelling programming??? A short and simple no. A couple of concerts, a few movies you've seen already, a few discovery type programs, a couple of ballgames is what you get.
IMHO, Voom offers this and is better at it. http://www.inhd.com/matrix/matrix.jsp

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
vurbano said:
Gives you some measure of just what the exclusives are worth doesnt it?
What they are worth to us is not necessarily proportional to the cost of production. In addition, it all depends on our personal tastes and preferences. I know, exclusives are not worth much to you, vurbano. But, I for one, would be willing to pay extra to have those channels. Nothing's wrong with you or me. Just different tastes, I guess.
But really you have to weigh into the equation of the increased overall bandwidth and PQ such a trade would bring. 3 HD channels at 12 mbps each would mean raising the average bandwidth 1 mbps over the remaining 36 HD channels and more detail on all of the channels.
As I mentioned before, I agree with you on this one. I would be willining to sucrifice the number of channels if that could indeed result in a noticeable PQ improvement. But we both know very well, that this is not going to happen. Marketing people will never let VOOM reduce the number of HD channels to save 1 mbps, whether we like this or not.
I wouldnt be so quick to compare costs when I have absolutely no data on how much it costs to produce those exclusives Ilya.
Yes, it was just a guess (and I clearly stated that). Are you saying it takes a big budget to produce Moov, Gallery or Auction? Also, let's look at your suggestion to reduce Cinema-10 to Cinema-5. I assume you are suggesting to keep the same amount of movies, but show them on 5 channels instead of 10, correct? But you realize of course that this will not reduce the production costs too much?

jbtcajun

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 17, 2004
vurbano said:
since your such a doer, go look it up

Thats exactly what was done.

I am just stating the fact that there are many people that could care less about sports and sports channels. There is no reason to alienate these people for a few more worthless sports oriented channels.

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
jbtcajun said:

I am just stating the fact that there are many people that could care less about sports and sports channels. There is no reason to alienate these people for a few more worthless sports oriented channels.

Does not compute....

...end of line...

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
jbtcajun said:

there are approximately 9 million HD sets in homes already. D* has sports and has 13 million subs. How do you think they got them? SUNDAY TICKET and a 12 month contract. Voom has an anemic sports offering and has 30,000 subs. Who is alienating who?

vurbano

Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
r.jones1116 said:
Not much at all. I was a HD beta tester for Comcast. InHD 1 & 2 were 2 of the 5 channels offered. During the 2 months that I had it, I had the opportunity to see Full Metal Jacket probably 20 times. So is InHD compelling programming??? A short and simple no. A couple of concerts, a few movies you've seen already, a few discovery type programs, a couple of ballgames is what you get.
IMHO, Voom offers this and is better at it. http://www.inhd.com/matrix/matrix.jsp
A few concerts over and over = Rave
A few movies ive seen already = Cinema10
Bring on the sports give us INHD!!!!!!! Id trade Worldsport soccer for MLB, NHL etc anyday.

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 5, 2004
vurbano said:
A few concerts over and over = Rave
A few movies ive seen already = Cinema10
Bring on the sports give us INHD!!!!!!! Id trade Worldsport soccer for MLB, NHL etc anyday.

Don't get rid of Rave! In the daytime they air music videos which I hope their library expands, and while the concerts maybe over and over right now, new stuff gets added all the time, I like my music channel! You're advocating more HD with less?

I still wouldn't scrap the Cinema10 channels, just make the genre specific, and keep more movies in the loop like 4 a day per channel.

I would prefer you kill the 999 and some duplicate SDs to bring in INHD, or roll out WM9 already (seriously what's taking so long) and free up some space that way and try to roll out INHD. Even if YOU do not necessarily like these channels (Worldsport? Please MLB/NHL/NBA/NFL is aired by everyone no one is airing good soccer games in HD!) That doesn't mean no one does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)