The 920 battery

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
For some time now I have been thinking about changing the battery in my 920. I have a very good pictorial I downloaded on how to go about the job. I have no problem with doing the job. I recently dismantled my laptop (the one I am on now) to replace the power connector on the board without any problems. My only thought (worry) that IF something goes wrong, is there any way to bring a 920 back to life?

RT.

In short no. If the battery voltage drops below 2.8 volts the UID and all digital will be history. This is not meant to scare you, just be careful.

Once the ram area in the XC chip looses power the UID is lost. The XC generates another ID on new power up and replacing the battery but the numbers are not in Motorola's database or will they put them in. Without a hit from SRL to reload the location and EMM provider into XC, the unit remains brain dead for decoding even ZK digital. Motorola refuses to be a good Joe so it is what it is. The name of the game is don't let your battery die.

Are you working on an option for the future? maybe some ideas in the works?
Uhmmm,:confused: not 100% sure on your question:confused:. Just thinking about changing the battery.

Once the ram area in the XC chip looses power the UID is lost. The XC generates another ID on new power up and replacing the battery but the numbers are not in Motorola's database or will they put them in. Without a hit from SRL to reload the location and EMM provider into XC, the unit remains brain dead for decoding even ZK digital. Motorola refuses to be a good Joe so it is what it is. The name of the game is don't let your battery die.
Very informative. Makes me think Motorola produced a "made to break" device. Or they really never thought anyone would be using these for this many years. . . .

RT.

It's called "Planned Obsolesence". It's the concept of "not" making a product that will last forever. But in fact designing it to fail after a certain time period. Everyone would go broke if things lasted forever! Your car tires ae a perfect example. If they wanted to, they could make tires that would outlast the car...

Its more about security here. If you interrupt the voltage to the XC chip by trying to hack into it, it will kill itself and destroy the keys needed for piracy.

bought a 920 like the op,
checked it and it was all good. UID matched.
Changed the battery and it went to 12:0o and chan 1.
I have not figured out what i did wrong yet.
Each time i power up it changes the uid and goes to 12:00 so i cut the bat power somehow and it is still cut i think.
All bat terminals show 3.6 v, but somwhow it always goes to 12:00
I was planning on trying to figure out what i did wrong, but if there is no hope for it, i was just going to shelve it.
I could have broken into tears cause i have been trying to snag a DC2 machine for 2 years now.
Kodaz

bought a 920 like the op,
checked it and it was all good. UID matched.
Changed the battery and it went to 12:0o and chan 1.
I have not figured out what i did wrong yet.
Each time i power up it changes the uid and goes to 12:00 so i cut the bat power somehow and it is still cut i think.
All bat terminals show 3.6 v, but somwhow it always goes to 12:00
I was planning on trying to figure out what i did wrong, but if there is no hope for it, i was just going to shelve it.
I could have broken into tears cause i have been trying to snag a DC2 machine for 2 years now.
Kodaz

You must have no voltage going to the board and XC chip. Your symptoms tell me the unit is now a doorstop. You can now play with it with the battery disconnected to your hearts content, and it won't make a difference. Find out what you did wrong, fix it & use it as a dish mover. Remember not to make that mistake next time. Sorry to hear you had a problem. :(

Its more about security here. If you interrupt the voltage to the XC chip by trying to hack into it, it will kill itself and destroy the keys needed for piracy.
Maybe the reason no one cracked digicipher II.

You must have no voltage going to the board and XC chip. Your symptoms tell me the unit is now a doorstop. You can now play with it with the battery disconnected to your hearts content, and it won't make a difference. Find out what you did wrong, fix it & use it as a dish mover. Remember not to make that mistake next time. Sorry to hear you had a problem. :(
Interesting about using it for the dish mover. Could you actually get it to work as a mover after it is "bricked?"

RT.

Maybe the reason no one cracked digicipher II.
It don't make it easy.

Interesting about using it for the dish mover. Could you actually get it to work as a mover after it is "bricked?"

RT.
If you replace the battery to keep memory. Then you can use Map Master also to restore all the satellite tiles & maps. You can use it as an analog receiver and dish mover fine.It just wont do digital even if the channels are mapped in there. It will search for signal because there is no way you can replace the information to decode even Zk in the XC chip.
Well not yet... :behindsofa:

It don't make it easy.

If you replace the battery to keep memory. Then you can use Map Master also to restore all the satellite tiles & maps. You can use it as an analog receiver and dish mover fine.It just wont do digital even if the channels are mapped in there. It will search for signal because there is no way you can replace the information to decode even Zk in the XC chip.
Well not yet... :behindsofa:
Well, that would be a way to use the "dead" 920, but from what I have read the parts needed and the Map Master program that is not finished yet, it would not be an inexpensive direction to go. But, maybe better than not fixing it.

RT.

I replaced the battery in my old bricked (bad UID) 920 after it was already corrupt. I wanted it as a backup mover if the 922 ever went down. Of course, I did this last December so that I could reload maps from G1-3 after changing the battery. This was before Map Master looked possible.

I see the hint that tvropro threw out about units with a corrupt ID. Hmmm, the ability to restore a UID back to original (and therefore on the list) would be quite a feat. There's always that guy that replaced the XC chip... but it's number wouldn't be on the list.

I'm not sure how possible that UID restoration would be. But I would venture a guess that well over half of the units out of service are due to corrupt UID.

Cheers

...And after extensive reading about Map Master and all the work that has been put into it, around $70 for the cable looks better and better. Will be an interesting event when MM is released. Maybe one should get a cable now before they run out from the purchase rush coming. . . . . ?;)

RT.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)