Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
You Knew They Would Be There, But How?
By David Zingler

POSTED: 5:16 am PDT August 26, 2005

Rant One: Damn Yankees
My worst fears were realized this week when the New York Yankees catapulted to the top of the AL Wild Card Race. How can a team that has used Sean Henn, Tanyon Sturtze, Tim Redding, Darrell May, Scott Proctor and Marlins' reject Al Leiter in their rotation possibly be winning? Heck, they even claimed Hideo Nomo, complete with his 7.24 ERA, off waivers from Tampa Bay. If you like baseball and have a soul, you should be pulling for Oakland, Cleveland or Minnesota to put the Evil Empire in its' place -- on the golf course in October.

Rant Two: NL Worst
Outside of the San Diego Padres, who have a tenuous grip on the break-even mark, nobody in the NL West is playing .500 baseball. Even the Bondless Giants, who are hovering around 15 games under .500, are not out of the race. I say that if nobody in the division can post a winning record, they should forfeit their playoff spot and give it to a second Wild Card team.

Rant Three: Why Ask Y?
If you don't keep up with the last-place Seattle Mariners, you probably haven't noticed that lately their line-up has regularly featured IF Yuniesky Betancourt and journeyman C Yorvit Torrealba batting eighth and ninth. Two players with first names that begin with Y batting back-to-back? Seems strange, but wait, it gets weirder. It turns out that they are also the last two players to triple in their first major league at-bat. Torrealba did it with the Giants in 2001 and Betancourt turned the trick earlier this year.

Source

Sean Mota said:
You Knew They Would Be There, But How?
By David Zingler

POSTED: 5:16 am PDT August 26, 2005

Rant One: Damn Yankees
My worst fears were realized this week when the New York Yankees catapulted to the top of the AL Wild Card Race. How can a team that has used Sean Henn, Tanyon Sturtze, Tim Redding, Darrell May, Scott Proctor and Marlins' reject Al Leiter in their rotation possibly be winning? Heck, they even claimed Hideo Nomo, complete with his 7.24 ERA, off waivers from Tampa Bay. If you like baseball and have a soul, you should be pulling for Oakland, Cleveland or Minnesota to put the Evil Empire in its' place -- on the golf course in October.

Rant Two: NL Worst
Outside of the San Diego Padres, who have a tenuous grip on the break-even mark, nobody in the NL West is playing .500 baseball. Even the Bondless Giants, who are hovering around 15 games under .500, are not out of the race. I say that if nobody in the division can post a winning record, they should forfeit their playoff spot and give it to a second Wild Card team.

Rant Three: Why Ask Y?
If you don't keep up with the last-place Seattle Mariners, you probably haven't noticed that lately their line-up has regularly featured IF Yuniesky Betancourt and journeyman C Yorvit Torrealba batting eighth and ninth. Two players with first names that begin with Y batting back-to-back? Seems strange, but wait, it gets weirder. It turns out that they are also the last two players to triple in their first major league at-bat. Torrealba did it with the Giants in 2001 and Betancourt turned the trick earlier this year.

Source

Sean,
It's a shame my ALMOST 500 Detroit Tigers cannot play in that division, they would be in 2nd place, excellent for them this late in the season.
It would be nice if they could actually get over 500 for a week or so, they get close or to 500 and then lose 4-5 in a row, I think they are afraid to be over 500

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
Sean,
It's a shame my ALMOST 500 Detroit Tigers cannot play in that division, they would be in 2nd place, excellent for them this late in the season.
It would be nice if they could actually get over 500 for a week or so, they get close or to 500 and then lose 4-5 in a row, I think they are afraid to be over 500

Jimbo
Yeah, what is that?! They can look like world-beaters for a week or so, but you just know the bottom's gonna fall out when they get close to .500. Perhaps it's the old "not-knowing-how-to-win" cliche. Whatever it is, it's getting old. Of course, it's better than being like twenty games under, which isn't unheard of around here this time of year... :eek: .

TheTimm said:
Yeah, what is that?! They can look like world-beaters for a week or so, but you just know the bottom's gonna fall out when they get close to .500. Perhaps it's the old "not-knowing-how-to-win" cliche. Whatever it is, it's getting old. Of course, it's better than being like twenty games under, which isn't unheard of around here this time of year... :eek: .

Yes, it's a yearly thing for the Tigers
I really thought that they had a good group of players this year and would be more consistant.

I really like Tram, my favorite player when I was young, but I am afraid he is going to take the blame and be gone soon, I hope I am wrong.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts